An update on USA goalkeeper Tim Howard

howardinjurynew.jpg

Photo by Michael Sohn -- Associated Press

The latest from the U.S. Soccer Federation on goalkeeper Tim Howard's rib injury:

"Tim is currently receiving treatment and our trainers are closely monitoring his progress. He will be evaluated once again in the morning [Monday] to determine if any tests will be required."

He has not undergone X-rays or an MRI exam.

By Steve Goff  |  June 13, 2010; 1:03 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , U.S. men's national team  | Tags: Tim Howard, USSF, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Dissecting England's goal vs. USA in World Cup
Next: TV ratings for USA-England World Cup match

Comments

espn is reporting he will likely play against slovenia. of course, they may be making it up. if they are wrong they can just say the injury didn't respond to treatment.

Posted by: troy6 | June 13, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Seems to me like they should do a relatively quick x-ray to look for fractures. Is there no facility available for that?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 13, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully nothing is broken. Tim really showed his quality and toughness yesterday and why he is world class. They should be alright with either Brad or Marcus against Slovenia or Algeria as long as the back line keeps the gaffs to a minimum and our forwards can get some goals early on. If Tim needs to sit for a game or two, we'll really want him back for the knock-out phase (fingers crossed).

Posted by: tcbannon | June 13, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I wondered this back in 06, but is kasey keller the all time losingest world cup goalkeeper? he has 5 losses, right? anyone know a source that might show if anyone else has more?

I'm not slagging on keller, by the way. I'm just curious. but not curious99. I have no idea how many days there are before the next dcu game.

Posted by: troy6 | June 13, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Howard doesn't need to have suffered a rib fracture for this injury to sideline him. Soft tissue injuries can be VERY painful, esp on the 2nd or 3rd day etc.

The fact that they haven't bothered to x-ray or MRI him suggests that they think the trauma is minor and will pass with ice and a few well placed steroid shots.

Posted by: awake11 | June 13, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

If he broke a rib and kept playing as well as he did, my hat is off to him.

I broke a rib once, and the pain on deep breathing, laughing, sneezing or moving my arm anywhere but by my side was excruciating.

More power to him! Fantastic performance.

Posted by: delantero | June 13, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

I think the injured ribs should be exposed to the gentle, healing drone of vuvuzela at close-range. A few solid minutes each hour should do the trick.

Posted by: vuvuzela | June 13, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

The myth of English soccer superiority has been tweaked even more. For some good stretches, we made them look pedestrian. Why else would Capellos sub out Milner and Carragher?!

Like Donovan points out .". but maybe a little disappointed we didn't get more out of the game," U.S. star Landon Donovan said.

I thought we left some players on the bench that could have threatened them in the 2nd half, such as Holden and Torres.

Bradley was shown several times on TV motioning to players about a sub, almost as if he were asking them if they were ok. Dempsey looked gassed to me, yeah, I know that his normal look, but he wasn't marking back at all.

Posted by: delantero | June 13, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

You're going at 100% (right?) in one of the biggest games of your life -- you are going to be gassed. 100% of Holden is better than 80% of Dempsey or whoever.

Australia looking very good to open the match.

Posted by: Reignking | June 13, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

@troy, DCU plays their friendly against the Salvadoran National team on the 19th, then they visit Columbus on the 26th. :)

Posted by: DadRyan | June 13, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Australia looking very good to open the match.Posted by: Reignking

Uh, 1-0 Germany. Podolski with a laser, it too looked like it moved oddly at the end.

Also looked like offsides to me, as the center striker was off and although didn't touch the ball, was still involved in the play. The defender scrambled to mark him . . but I'm not opening that can today!

Posted by: delantero | June 13, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

color me happy. a yellow for diving. another dozen of those and the men's world cup might be able to rival the women's for competitive spirit!

Posted by: troy6 | June 13, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

"A bit of Argy-Bargy" ESPN announcer during ABC's Germany/Aussie broadcast.

Drink!

Posted by: delantero | June 13, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Martin Tyler describes the verbal back and forth between the teams in the lead up to the game as "a little bit or argy bargy"

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 13, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

so...have the australians had their manhood taken from them or are the germans that good?

Posted by: troy6 | June 13, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

another argy bargy mention! I'm going to be hammered by halftime.

Posted by: troy6 | June 13, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Tyler sure likes his Argy Bargy. Another Drink!

Posted by: DadRyan | June 13, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Chipperfield, good name for a forward.

Posted by: delantero | June 13, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Germany has played the best football in their first 45 minutes than any other participant, lets see what they do in the next 45.

Klose and Podolski love to play in the biggest stage.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | June 13, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

It was nice to see Gooch beat the crap out of Heskey the rest of the game after this shot on Howard. Heskey was no where near the ball and he went in at full speed into Howard.

Posted by: csd1 | June 13, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Red to Cahill. Harsh in my opinion. Worth an appeal, I'd say.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 13, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

another yellow for diving! the ref smiled when Cacau came to argue after the final whistle.

Germany played very well, but I still haven't decided how good I think they are. poor Australia were just overmatched.

Posted by: hungrypug | June 13, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

After his career is over, he can open Timmy's Ribs - a BBQ joint and soccer bar.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 13, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

The yellow against Cacau was stupid. He got tripped he fell. No yellow needed. Are they going to card every player that falls in ways the ref don't like when the player is clearly tripped.

Posted by: csd1 | June 13, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

The ref is Mexican. If anyone knows diving, he does.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 13, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

I would just have Abby use the coil nail gun to fasten my ribs together for the rest of the month.

Hope Solo

Posted by: OWNTF | June 13, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

No placenta jokes yet?

Posted by: universityandpark | June 13, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

I see that South Africa has a Khumalo (any relation to Boyzzz?) and Slovenia has a Radosavljević (any relation to Preki?).

Posted by: universityandpark | June 13, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

OT: Did anyone get out to the 'Plex to see the Freedom last night? For that matter, did anyone watch USA-England at that venue?

Last night CSN aired what amounts to an infomercial for the Freedom called "Freedom Reigns." It will be rebroadcast Monday afternoon:

Posted by: universityandpark | June 13, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Is there any possibility that the tournament disciplinary committee will be considering action against Heskey?

Posted by: universityandpark | June 13, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Why? There was nothing wrong with him going after the ball. It's not as if he kicked back at Howard or went in with malice. I doubt any other goalkeeper in the tournament would say he deserved to be booked or retroactively suspended.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | June 13, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone else think the goal that Algeria gave up was just bad luck? The shot took a tricky hop and went in, but everyone at ESPN is bashing the keeper as if he pulled a Green.

Posted by: Reignking | June 13, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

"Why? There was nothing wrong with him going after the ball."

The ball was out at Howard's extended hands and Hesky slid into his rib cage. His foot was two yards from the ball. If he had been that far from the ball and ran at full speed into a field player that could have easily been a bookable offense. I think he should have gotten a yellow during the match but I don't think a suspension at this point or a red during the match was warranted.

Posted by: csd1 | June 13, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Actually after watching the tape Heskey was so far away from the ball that a red card could have been shown. If you come studs up into someone like that a dismissal could be justified. Heskey also kicked him with both feet. It isn't Howard's fault that Heskey is fat and slow. Check out the video starting with 2:58 left:

Posted by: csd1 | June 13, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

It's a 50/50 ball and any striker will go after it and very few keepers go after it the way Howard did. He was brave and he won the ball, but he knew there was a risk with going after that cross. It's not as if he actually grabbed the ball and then Heskey still dived to get it. What would you have Heskey do, pull back with the amount of momentum he had?

Posted by: RedDevil1 | June 13, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Tim Howard being sidelined would be devastating for the US. The man is a BEAST, an undisputable FACT after watching the US v Spain game in SA last year. He is definitely key to us advancing.

And, in my opinion, Heskey went in cleats up and missed the ball by a mile so he should have at least had a call against him. But, to the ref's defense, those details were only visible during slo-mo replay.

Posted by: VAreader | June 13, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

""It's a 50/50 ball""

I thought Heskey was late and kept his knee locked after Howard made contact with the ball, but I'll defer to TimmmaY! who clearly doesn't fault Heskey.

Gerrard's full on stab on Dempsey should have seen yellow (followed by a Dempsey sub). Findley got yellow for less, for although he went in hard and late, he softened the tackle by bending his ankle/knee.

Posted by: delantero | June 13, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

...does brad friedel have zero interest in playing for the national team? I feel like he should have joined back up given his continued fine form and enjoy a world cup swan song. Or is it a "why would I join if I won't play at all?" Or does bradley not like him or believe that he is an option. If I'm BB, I'm letting it known that i would love to have freidel back on the nat'l team as the backup to howard.

hahnemann and guzan are good players, but they are not close to howard. Friedel is closer to howard.

Posted by: wordup1 | June 14, 2010 2:30 AM | Report abuse

No placenta jokes yet?
Posted by: universityandpark
==============

Do pregnant WNT players heal themselves?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 14, 2010 7:26 AM | Report abuse

Friedel retired from international play. He cited the travel burden as his reason. Maybe he didn;t expect to be this good for this long, I didn't.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 14, 2010 7:28 AM | Report abuse

As we were leaving the pub Saturday night, I told my wife if we have another son, we are naming him Tim Howard.

Actually, if we have a daughter, we are naming HER Tim Howard.

My wife has started telling our sons to eat their veggies, drink their milk, take their vitamin so they can "grow up big and strong like Tim Howard"

The guy is a warrior -- if he can breathe Friday I have a feeling he will be on the field.

Posted by: amcalabrese | June 14, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse