And the United States' Group D opponent will be...

After the huge win over Algeria, the United States won Group C. It will play the second-place team from Group D, which will be decided with two matches, Germany vs. Ghana and Serbia vs. Australia, at 2:30 p.m. today. The scenarios:

Ghana, Serbia win: U.S. plays Serbia.
Ghana, Australia win: U.S. plays Australia.
Germany, Serbia win: U.S. likely plays Serbia.
Germany, Australia win: U.S. plays Ghana/Australia, depending on tiebreakers.
Two ties: U.S. plays Germany.
Ghana wins, Serbia-Australia tie: U.S. plays Serbia
Germany wins, Serbia-Australia tie: U.S. plays Ghana/Serbia, depending on tiebreakers.
Serbia wins, Ghana-Germany tie: U.S. plays Ghana.
Australia wins, Ghana-Germany tie: U.S. likely plays Germany.

By Matt Bonesteel  |  June 23, 2010; 1:01 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: World Cup USA: Live video chats
Next: World Cup: Germany vs. Ghana, Serbia vs. Australia

Comments

It might be easier in the quarterfinals, if the USA gets there. Probably have to play the winner of Uruguay and South Korea. Forlan is scary, but I think the USA matches up well with either team. Of course, if we get to the semis...we likely face the winner of a Brazil-Netherlands match.

Posted by: fischy | June 23, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Serbia. And as long as we're dreaming of the Quaterfinals, Uruguay is the last team I want to see. As a Fulham supporter, Diego Forlan has already crushed my dreams once this year!

Posted by: harkes4ever | June 23, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Not sure why the Algerian players were so disappointed. They were playing for a tie and a ticket home. Instead, the got a loss and a ticket home.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 23, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Ah yes, Serbia, with its American born defender.

Posted by: seahawkdad | June 23, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I-270: I imagine Algerians can't stand America. I would explain why but we have a no politics rule to follow. The hatred probably was driving a “let’s not let USA advance” theme in the Algerian camp.

Fischy... I just realized that quarterfinals a second ago. I hope we avoid Germany.

I thought this was the best I have ever seen Altidore play (minus the horrible finishing). He was a nightmare for Algeria all game. If he plays like that and finishes, I couldn’t imagine it.

I saw on the other thread that the US next game is Saturday at 230. Is that right? I will definitely be at Fado’s for that one (Lucky Bar is too far from College Park – I am lazy)

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 23, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 23, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

i was thinking the same thing! also, not to get all "TMZ" on everyone, but did anyone else notice that donovan said something like "i love you bianca" at the end of his interview with jeremy schaap? isn't he divorced from her?

ok, back to soccer talk...

Posted by: birdynumnum | June 23, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Bianca is to Donovan as Brooke Shields is to Agassi.

Speaking of tennis, Mahut (FRA) and Isner (USA) are 39-39 in the 5th set tiebreak at Wimbledon.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 23, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

revenge on ghana for 06....

Posted by: wordup1 | June 23, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

not positive soccer from algeria. very disappointing and only reinforces the conspiracy anti-american theories. (of which i subscribe to...)

Posted by: wordup1 | June 23, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

hey, dont discount australia. maybe i dont my australian ethnicities, but arent there many croatian australians on the team. and dont many of them hate serbia? i think its going to be intense, and australia will qualify to next round...only to be crucified by usa.

Posted by: alespar415 | June 23, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

What's really good about this is that England will likely play it's nemesis, Germany, in the next match. And go home.

Posted by: glynnjp1 | June 23, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Those scenarios above have my head spinning. I have no idea who the US will play. I HOPE they play Australia, so I have a reason to go to Outback Steakhouse for a Bloomin' Onion. Crikey!

I have a five-plus hour drive home from Pittsburgh tonight, and I'm going to be jacked up the whole way. Gotta hit the Strip District for some Steelers jerseys first, though...

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | June 23, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

More importantly, getting any food while you are there, Rand-al-Thor?

Posted by: Reignking | June 23, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Actually the tennis is NOT in a tiebreaker! No tiebreaks in the final set. That is 44 GAMES to 43 GAMES at this moment in the 5th!

Posted by: fedssocr | June 23, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

@Reignking: Mrs. Doc and I went to the Bettis Grille last night, on the river next to Heinz Field. A good meal, great atmosphere. Pittsburgh's a great city.

As for tonight, eating on the road... probably Chik-fil-A in Morgantown!

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | June 23, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the clarification. I thought Wimbledon had modernized, but that's only the lights on a few courts.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 23, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I want whatever freakish scenario puts Germany and Ghana through. Grudge match, grudge match. Plus, Germany was robbed by a card happy ref, and Africa needs a team in the knockout round.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 23, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Algeria's negative play saddened me too, but upon reflection I don't think we should take it personally. Algeria played England to a scoreless tie. Algeria kept Slovenia scoreless until having a player sent off. They aren't a cynical team--just a pessimistic one that is incapable of scoring.

Posted by: hungrypug | June 23, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Since I didn't participate in the in game talks, I'll just say this:

That was kinda fun, wasn't it? Our finishing wasn't the best, but, my goodness we played some wonderful soccer.

I don't care who we play. If there's one thing this team has taught us, it's that we've found "The American Style of Play", line em up, let's go play. 90, 94, 120 minutes. However long. Don't give up. Don't tread. Play. That's what we did today, and I expect in the next round, and the next, and however far we make it.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 23, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

What Jacob said.

14 guys and would you give any of them less than a "6"? And little remarked on during the broadcast --- was I alone in thinking that Bocanegra was HUGE? Like "8" or "9" huge? Pretty astute move by Bradley, and Bornstein acquitted himself quite well in the end, right?

Posted by: OWNTF | June 23, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

=================

. . . and now we have two teams, mens and womens, that play this way . . . which is awesome

Posted by: OWNTF | June 23, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

OWNTF: no. Obviously Bradley just got lucky, everyone (well, everyone who isn't Swiss) knows he is tactically inept. sheesh. saying nice things about BB. fool.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | June 23, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Not sure what team the USA will play, but have 100% confidence that Messi will make Mexican defenders looks like orange traffic cones.

Posted by: GeneWells | June 23, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Thought both Bradleys had epic games today.

The son's work rate is superhuman. He puts me in mind of Lance Armstrong for some reason. Seems he can just go harder longer than anyone else.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 23, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

That goal probably eliminates Germany as the USA opponent.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | June 23, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

OWNTF -

Boca was absolutely huge! Played his position perfectly, was always there to disrupt an Algerian counter, never lost his head. Played a tremendous, smart game. That's why he's Captain!

Posted by: harkes4ever | June 23, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Australia! Australia! Australia! We love you, amen! --Bruce

Posted by: ldmay | June 23, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Hi everybody, my name is Carlos, and I´m from Brazil. And I do not live in USA.

First, to answer your questions, Korea will face Uruguay, in june 26 (well, in Brazil the game will be at 11:00 am, I don´t know the time it will pass in USA) with is playing so much this cup. And since I´m south american, Ill be hoping for the victory of Uruguay. Also, the winner of Uruguay x Korea will face the winner of USA and Ghana (game that will occur a few hours later), so you guys should worry about it lolololol...

Well, the reason I´m here is to congratulate your team, that won a very well deserved victory, and to say that I love the victory of USA... The players were real warriors in the match, I think all of you should be proud of the team...

As you must know, Brazil is the better country in soccer, and we won 5 time the world´s cup, but the team of USA really made me say: "that was great!"... They had lost the victory against slovenia because of a mistake of the referee, in a game the team fought until the last minute, and reversed the defeat that slovenia was imposing in the beginning, with was also amazing, but the game of total was totally surreal... And I´m very happy that your people is learning to enjoy this great party that is the soccer game, so you can join the rest of the world in this celebration, even so you are not the best, with in my opnion only make this victory even greater...

Congratulation USA! You have been a valiant warrior, and I can give you all this congratulations, from a citizen who lives in the country with the best soccer in the world, that what you got today was bigger than the cup itself... You showed courage and inspiration... I hope the USA team can win even more in this cup (well, except when it came the time to face Brazil, when I hope you guys lose by 3x1 lololol excuse me, but to me Brazil is first, because, of curse, its my country)

Congratulations USA!!!

Posted by: Cacau | June 23, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Matt, next time let's have a fuller explanation about tiebreakers. I had to dig out the results of the first two rounds and scratch out the numbers on my Metro card so I could figure out that Serbia only needed to tie to eke past Ghana, or that Ghana by tying could render the Serb game moot. God knows we have the space to explain what's going on here!

Posted by: paulkp | June 23, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

It scares me that we seem to be the favorites now not just for THIS game but the next considering the teams we could play

Whenever the pressure shifts TOWARDS us, we fall flat

We are not that good to take any of these games lightly

Posted by: Bious | June 24, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse