Argentina vs. Greece, Nigeria vs. South Korea to decide World Cup Group B

Group B's representatives in the knockout round will be determined this afternoon. Because of its six points and plus-four goal differential, Argentina is pretty much a lock for advancement. Only a blowout loss to Greece and a big South Korea win over Nigeria will keep the Albiceleste out of the knockout round. Imagine Maradona's postgame remarks if that happens.

South Korea and Greece are tied for second, each with three points and a minus-one goal differential, but South Korea holds the slight edge with three total goals scored and thus would be in good shape with a win or even a tie.

Nigeria needs to win and to have Argentina beat Greece to have any shot.

For live stats from the Argentina vs. Greece game, click here. For game commentary, click here. For live stats from the Nigeria vs. South Korea game, click here. For game commentary, click here.

For online streaming of the game, click here.

By Matt Bonesteel  |  June 22, 2010; 2:07 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: World Cup: France goes out meekly
Next: World Cup roundtable with D.C. United

Comments

I don't care one iota what you say, Argentina will slip on Greece.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 22, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

That sounds Messi.

Posted by: Reignking | June 22, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure whether anyone has yet posted a link to this Applebaum op-ed about the vuvuzela, although it is unclear how much she adds to the discussion at this late date:

Posted by: universityandpark | June 22, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Does nayone know of an on-line site that does not require Adobe flash 10. My gov't issue laptop does not have this version and I can't install it (not that I'm using my gov't computer for non-work functions, it's a hypothetical).

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 22, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 22, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Caught the first 15 of Nigeria - SKorea. Very entertaining.

Posted by: Reignking | June 22, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Argentina's B-team is dominating at 82% possession:

ESPN Stats & Info: At the 20 minute mark, Argentina has completed 94.5% of their passes, Greece 68.8%.

Posted by: Reignking | June 22, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: universityandpark | June 22, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

SoKo levels at one.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 22, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Is surprised at how hard it is to root for Nigeria. Perhaps because it is so obvious that they would be a punching bag in the next round.
I also really like South Korea, they seem to have a complete game.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 22, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: universityandpark | June 22, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDevil1 | June 22, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I see a US path to the semis where we can avoid the big squads, but we have to win the group.

Uruguay/South Korea (?), USA v (?)

Posted by: delantero | June 22, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

OT: On World Cup, chest hair and acid... the latest from our Insider brother:

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | June 22, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Wild few minutes for Yakubu.

Why is this place so empty lately?

Posted by: Reignking | June 22, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Why is this place so empty lately?
Posted by: Reignking

People are really eager to have MLS return, they're taking a futbol hiatus.

Posted by: delantero | June 22, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

^^^^
see the next thread.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 22, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

I'll tell you what, I'd still take Veron at DCU...

Posted by: DadRyan | June 22, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Heartbreak for Nigeria; the finishing just wasn't there at the end. Korea definitely deserve to advance, though. It looks like we have a couple of great matches set for the Round of 16 already.

Posted by: BooThisMan | June 22, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse