Bradley: Altidore will start in World Cup opener

Forward Jozy Altidore, who was slowed by a mild ankle sprain last week, will start against England in the U.S. team's World Cup opener Saturday night in Rustenburg, U.S. Coach Bob Bradley said.

"I got asked that question [on Dan Patrick's radio show earlier in the day] and just felt at that point that, yes, Jozy is starting," Bradley said during a news briefing after the team's practice hre at Royal Bafokeng Stadium on Friday evening. "I thought we could give one name out. There will be no more."

Joined by defender Carlos Bocanegra for interviews, Bradley turned to the captain and said that Bocanegra would also start -- no surprise.

With Altidore in the lineup, Robbie Findley seems to be the top candidate to also start up front. Findley offers the speed to counterattack, stretch England's defense and apply high pressure.

"Jozy missed just a couple days of training," Bradley said. "It was always our sense that it was going to be a minor injury. The trainers did a really good job. They always felt that the timing of the injury and the fact that it was so minor wouldn't interfere at all."

By Steve Goff  |  June 11, 2010; 4:03 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , England , U.S. men's national team  | Tags: Bob Bradley, Jozy Altidore, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Watch World Cup live streaming for France-Uruguay
Next: Saturday kickaround

Comments

Yeeee Haaaaaawwww!
USA! USA! USA!

Posted by: DadRyan | June 11, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

nah. I think it will be Buddle. How can you keep those goals on the bench? He'll keep Findley on the bench in case he needs 2nd half speed.

Posted by: fedssocr | June 11, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

fedssocr beats me to it.

I could see Bob going Findley, but the rational choice is Buddle. People do not give Jozy or Buddle enough credit for the speed the possess, which is also combined with excellent control and strength. This way, England can never decide who's the post up man and who's the striker, because Buzy can share the responsibility. (As opposed to Findley-Buddle, or Fuzy).

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 11, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

i wouldn't have even admitted jozy would play, but i suppose in the great scheme of things it doesn't really matter whether you keep it a secret or not.

Posted by: troy6 | June 11, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Buddle belongs in the lineup ahead of Findley. USA can't afford to waste chances tomorrow, and Buddle finishes very well.

Posted by: hungrypug | June 11, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Thank goodness Jozy can play. That Buddle & Findley story gave me nightmares.

I agree that the rational choice is Buddle paired with Jozy, but BB is not a creative thinker, and he sees Buddle as playing the same position as Jozy. Therefore, they can't both be on the field at the same time. I am afraid it might be Findley starting. That would be a shame.

troy6: The fact that BB does not feel the need to keep Jozy's start a secret goes to show that he is so confident of his team that he doesn't care what the English know. There is nothing that they can do to defend us anyway ;)

Posted by: jack35 | June 11, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

So, Weezer released an unofficial USA World Cup song today, not too terrible. Called "Represent", and available for a free (sly soccer term used there) on itunes.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 11, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

DudeRyan, have you been spending some time in Haymarket!

I'm not feeling good about tomorrow. But I do feel good about getting out of the group.

*England 2, US 0

*Crouch on a header, Rooney on a tap in. M. Bradley gets tossed for hacking Lampard.

*as stated by the psychic on Venice Beach

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | June 11, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

2-2, I'll go with Rand-al-Thor on the England scorers (or with the Venice Beach guy, if he dserves the credit), but add a goal by LD (PK after Jozy is wrestled to the ground for the 5th time by Terry or King - the first four times I will avoid throwing something at my TV when no PK is called only because the TV is relatively new) and one from Buddle, assisted by LD.

Posted by: assocfoot | June 11, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

USA shocks the world. 2-0 for the yanks.

Posted by: Ron16 | June 11, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

So, tell me why I guy who couldn't muster a full 90 minutes before he injured his ankle gets the starting nod? I prefer Buddle/Findley.

Posted by: Lucius2 | June 11, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Because Altidore is to Findley as Steven Strassburg is to Kei Igawa.

Posted by: jack35 | June 11, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

My prediction is 3-2 England. Our defense is crap but I think we can score in this World Cup, something that isn't normal for us. I think England will score on at least one free header on a free kick as a result of a silly US foul and there will probably be two runs down the middle when we will be totally out of position and England will score. We'll work the ball through our strong midfield and score one fairly early and then we'll change strikers and score late to make it respectable.

Posted by: csd1 | June 11, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Yanks 1 - Wanks 1

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 11, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

US wins, 2-1. England with a late goal.

Let's do this.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 11, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

In other news,
Vancouver released their kits.

Im late but thought I share..

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | June 11, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Vancouver jerseys are sorta retro (at least what I'm assuming is their away one). The crest is OK. I see what they were going for, but it does seem a bit plain.

Posted by: nairbsod | June 11, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

RE: Vancouver kits. Judging from the photos, the jerseys have a cell phone pocket for in-game twitterings.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 11, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

According to the BBC we have a top secret player and customs detained an "O". Let the thunder roll...

"Guys who have been to World Cups before and play at a high level week in, week out: Carlos Bocanegra, Tim Howard, Guchi Onaweyu, Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan and Steve Tuerunderoll."

Posted by: csd1 | June 11, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Cameron and Obama make agreement that the loser gets BP.

US 0 - 0 England

BP is given to the French.

Posted by: Southeasterner | June 11, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

@csd1,

And turns out we won the Confed Cup last year! Who knew?

Posted by: benonthehill | June 11, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

either MB mumbles a lot or the transcriber of that interview is really clueless. At least he seems to have learned to say nothing but the usual platitudes from BB.

I like those Whitecaps shirts, especially the blue one that has their logo sort of woven into it.

Posted by: fedssocr | June 11, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

I really dig the vancouver kits. They are simple but eye catching. They remind me of some of the cool Man u or liverpool kits of the 80's with sunblimated designs.

Posted by: jjfooty | June 11, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jjfooty | June 11, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

This is a bad F-ing move by Coach Sweatpants. I've said all along that Jozy hasn't earned the right to start against England, considering his league form and the fact he recently scored only his third competitive goal in over a year in a friendly.

He's going to be going up against the best of the best in defense. Players that routinely held him in check through the English season. I still say go 4-5-1 and put Dempsey up top with LD, Clark, Bradley, Filhaber and Edu in the midfield. It's the only way we'll gut out a draw. Playing 4-4-2 will result in too much needless giveaway of posession, and the counter will prove deadly with Gerrard, Lampard and Rooney stringing the ball together, or the speed overcoming donks like Spector on the wing. He's another one who's form was iffy in the Premier League.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | June 11, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

While I am totally behind the USMNT and believe that we can score twice against England which I strongly dislike, I fear that Fabio will devise a scheme that allows the Three Lions to carve up our D with 4 or 5 goals. I hope and Pray that I am wrong, but so far I have picked the first 2 scores correctly.coach P

Posted by: bechtoldpk | June 11, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

2-2. Dempsey score a late goal to draw level.

Go USA!

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | June 11, 2010 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the link Jacob, I can say this with a completely straight face: Weezer is the Modern Day Beach Boys WITH actual talent. Blowing the drivel that U2 and Black Eyed Peas continue to spoon feed the masses out of the water.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 12, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Something Neat for World Cup,.. Check this app I found on the Android Marketplace. SMS Replier WorldCup Edition. Auto-Reply's while you are watching your country’s team. It lets your friends and family know to leave you alone while you are watching futbol. You can find it at the Android Marketplace, or at smsreplier.mobi

-Hannah