Brazil vs. Chile: Brazil advances

For much of the first half Monday, Brazil looked almost ordinary. But all it takes for Brazil to alter a match is one moment of brilliance -- and Juan's header off a corner kick got things started in this 3-0 victory over Chile.

Game stats are here, commentary here and shot chart here.

By Alexa Steele  |  June 28, 2010; 4:58 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Brazil vs. Chile in World Cup round of 16
Next: Tuesday World Cup kickaround

Comments

OT: Nice debate on ESPN's "Around the Horn" on whether the U.S. had a successful World Cup, or failed to meet expectations.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | June 28, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Goff, I know you're writing an article, but Brazil playing kick ball in order to get corner kicks and exploiting the height advantage strikes me as more cynical than brilliant. But, then again, I still remember the rooting for the '98 squad.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 28, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

It would be a nice debate if Adande could pronounce Gooch's name at least semi- correctly. I expect that from my casual soccer fan buddies but not someone who's actually supposed to have some credibility.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 28, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

"Healthcare in South Africa
Tracee, following the U.S./Ghana World Cup game, I've been disappointed not to read any updates as to the health of those brave Ghana players who were so devastatingly injured. I mean, two players were taken off on stretchers! Surely those gentlemen had serious injuries requiring immediate medical attention, but there's been nary a word on their condition. Do you have an update for us?
– June 28, 2010 9:21 AM Permalink
A.Tracee Hamilton writes:
Both are on life support as we speak. Neither are expected to make it. They gave their lives for the beautiful game..."

The above is from Tracee Hamilton's Q&A this morning for the Post. Very funny and also exactly why we need FIFA to start a crack down on this unsportsmanlike garbage. Every time a player is in the middle of faking an injury it should be an immediate yellow card and if that doesn't stop it then make it an immediate red. I for one am sick and tired of these pathetic shenanigans in soccer. It totally disgraces the game.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | June 28, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

OT --

Pia calls Sarah Huffman and Allie Long (and Abby) into US WNT camp for Sweden prep.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 28, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Gamby,

All I have to say is AMEN BABY!

Posted by: croftonpost | June 28, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

3-0,brazil made a clean sweep!!!
www.canada-jerseys.com

Posted by: Djerseys | June 28, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

I'm amused at the notion that Brazil, by playing for corner kicks to take advantage of their height, was being cynical. Is it cynical for the LA Lakers to take outside shots, knowing that they have two 7'ers to rebound? Was it cynical for the Netherlands to play long balls to Robben, knowing that he's faster than the Slovakian defenders? My goodness.

Posted by: glfrazier | June 28, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

For Brazil to be too scared of Chile's possession game to take them on like a real South American superpower? Absolutely.

For any other team on the face of the planet, this is to be expected, even applauded. But Brazil was always different, special. It's why everyone loves them and despises Italy. if this is really what we can expect from Brazil from now on, relying on brawn until they eek out a set piece goal, then yes, I am deeply disappointed. I know they have always been a physical team, but this is utterly beyond what happened before.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 28, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

"I for one am sick and tired of these pathetic shenanigans in soccer. It totally disgraces the game." Gambrills4

Did it bother you every time Clint Dempsey grabbed his ankle and waited to see if he could get a call from the ref and then he hops up like nothing happened. Does it bother you when Jozy Altidore gets knocked down by guys half his size every time they bump him in a convenient spot to get a free kick.

Posted by: csd1 | June 28, 2010 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: csd1 | June 28, 2010 11:15 PM | Report abuse

It bothers me. The Broadway trash has to go. I don't care who is doing it. It is bad for the game, period.

Posted by: croftonpost | June 28, 2010 11:26 PM | Report abuse

"The above is from Tracee Hamilton's Q&A this morning for the Post. Very funny and also exactly why we need FIFA to start a crack down on this unsportsmanlike garbage."

Seriously that really isn't funny.

The stretcher is brought out so the player can't delay the game by staying on the field indefinitely. The referee is supposed to add injury which in reality should give the player no advantage by stopping play. Also after incidents in a previous World Cup when players would stay on the ground and the play would be stopped by players kicking the ball out FIFA said play only needs to be stopped by the referee. Also if a player leaves the field on a stretcher his team is down a man until the referee waves the player back on the field and that can take some time. It is a little hard for referee to start deciding if a player is injured or not during a game.

Posted by: csd1 | June 28, 2010 11:34 PM | Report abuse

csd1,

I thought it was hilarious. It puts players that practice that kind of soccer in their proper place. What I can't believe is any soccer fan would defend that crap. I have NEVER met another soccer fan personally that finds those Broadway acts as anything less than despicable. Is your favorite team Italy by chance?

Posted by: croftonpost | June 28, 2010 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Prediction here that the finals will pit Brazil vs. Argentina (sorry, know that is not going out on a limb too much). But I have a good source, God!

See the funny article below.

Posted by: eye95 | June 29, 2010 2:44 AM | Report abuse

See the funny article below.

Posted by: eye95 | June 29, 2010 2:48 AM | Report abuse

croftonpost, I did not say I find stretchers to be an enhancement to the game. I pointed out that USMNT embellish just like every other team and that FIFA does do things to deter injury simulation. I also found that joke to be extremely weak. Do you really think a Ghanaian soccer player now revered in his homeland for his team's accomplishments cares what Tracee Hamilton has to say about him?

"I am so disgraced and I can never enjoy the riches and fame that advancing in the World Cup has brought me because some lady in America thinks I disgrace the game and wrote an article about it. I am so ashamed of my actions and I will tell others to not act as I have. The shame will scorn my family for generations." Sulley Muntari

Posted by: csd1 | June 29, 2010 7:03 AM | Report abuse

Csd, I've never been that serious about this stuff. Truthfully, I never thought that deeply about it. Just saw humor in it and laughed. We don't see eye to eye on this but no worries.

Posted by: croftonpost | June 29, 2010 7:17 AM | Report abuse