'Davy Crockett' at the World Cup

gringotorres.jpgIn Mexico, where he plays for Pachuca, U.S. midfielder Jose Torres is known as "El Gringo" because of his Texas roots.

At the end of Thursday's media session here at Irene Farm, where the Americans are based for the World Cup, teammate and fellow east Texan Clint Dempsey was asked if he and the other U.S. players call Torres by that nickname. Dempsey deadpanned:

"We call him Davy Crockett because he has a nice mullet and it looks like he has a raccoon hat on."

UPDATE: In response to the Crockett moniker, Torres has nicknamed Dempsey "Onion Rings" because he has big eyes.

crockett.jpg

By Steve Goff  |  June 3, 2010; 8:02 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , U.S. men's national team  | Tags: Davy Crockett, Jose Torres, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mandela to attend World Cup opener
Next: U.S. keeper: World Cup ball 'a nightmare'

Comments

Davy Crockett, of course, died at the Alamo fighting the Mexican army. Maybe not the best choice of nicknames.

Posted by: macheath | June 3, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: macheath | June 3, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

I actually thought that the Alamo story makes the nickname more, not less, apt for Torres. And I imagine that Deuce knows what happened to Davy Crockett: they teach Texas history in Texas schools, including the revolution and the Republic.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | June 3, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of Texas it would be interesting to see what kind of starting lineups you could put together for each state (or how many states would even have a starting lineup) using only capped US players.

Skimming the roster it looks like a foreign born roster would be tough to beat. Although MI, CA and NJ (at least goalies) could probably put something decent together.

Posted by: Southeasterner | June 3, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 3, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Bless you 270. "Kilt him a bar, when he was only three."

But when I think of Fess, I think of this "big man."

Posted by: OWNTF | June 3, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

If it took a mullet for me to have hair, I'd do it. I'd even carry around a musket, if need be.

But no coonskin cap. A man has to have some pride.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | June 3, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Don't you already have a 12 gauge on the gun rack in your truck?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 3, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the new supporter's song, Duece. We'll get right on it.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | June 3, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Love it. Dempsey and Torres are both Texans and pals-perfectly witty nickname (or joke).

Posted by: claude8 | June 3, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I am a Torres fan. But at some point, in the slot where he was playing v. Turkey, don't we worry about his size relative to guys like Gerrard, Lampard and Barry?

Posted by: OWNTF | June 3, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

@OWNTF, you're not alone in wondering (fearing?) if JT's size means he shouldn't start against England. Messi is 5'7, Iniesta is 5'7, Xavi is 5'7. So based on their height, would you not play them against England? I have no problem with Torres starting against England, and hope that Bradley will play him in the middle. I'm more worried about Bradley's coaching than I am about JT playing against England. His dribbling, holding, and passing skills are exactly what you need against a team like England that is strong defensively. I don't want the USA lobbing 30-50 yard passes which never connect and just means the team can't create offensive opportunities. Look at the way Mexico played against them, forgetting the actual score :)

Is it June 11, yet?

Posted by: agon123 | June 3, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Since we're talking about young, talented players, I'll ask: When does Najar get a look from the National program?

Posted by: carnack | June 3, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

The question is whose national program.

Posted by: seahawkdad | June 3, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of ol' Fess, he was pretty darn successful after "Davy Crockett" too.

(Santa Barbara County wines are exceptional, btw.)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | June 3, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

I have that Davy Crockett movie from the pic on VHS!!!

Posted by: StewartDC8 | June 3, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

"mexican gringo" is about right for all of them, to be exact. Dempsey played in East Texas' "mexican league", and Donovan knows how to speak spanish cause he played with S. Cal. mexicans. There's a whole lot of mexicans on this team. Oh well, I guess we werent going to get no where learning the game in the white suburbs.

Posted by: alespar415 | June 3, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: macheath | June 3, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse
---------------------------

But at least he had a gun, or that awesome knife Bowie gave him. Just a jack knife, had old MacHeath, babe. And he keeps it, out of sight.

Posted by: stancollins | June 3, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse