D.C. United's Rodney Wallace out at least 6 weeks

UPDATE WITH ONALFO QUOTE

D.C. United defender Rodney Wallace has a fractured fibula in his left leg, the team announced, and will miss at minimum six weeks.

Wallace left Saturday night's game against Real Salt Lake in the 24th minute after he was kicked trying to block a shot. Initially, the injury was believed to have been a bone bruise. X-rays showed the injury was much worse.

The injury comes at a time when United's backline was beginning to jell but also just before an extended World Cup break that will minimize the number of games Wallace misses.

Juan Manuel Pena also tweaked his groin and is out for Thursday's game at Seattle, United Coach Curt Onalfo said.

"Listen, that's all part of it and we have a group that knows how to persevere and we'll make the best of the situation," Onalfo said. "We have guys that are ready to step in and do a good job. I thought Devon [McTavish] came in and played really solid and Jordan [Graye] did a good job on the left and Julius [James] came in and looked solid as well. Julius has played really well over the last two weeks as well, in the AC Milan game in the second half and a real solid 120 minutes against Real Salt Lake on Wednesday so we feel like we have good cover and guys that can step in and do a real good job."

By Paul Tenorio  |  June 7, 2010; 12:01 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United  | Tags: D.C. United, MLS, Rodney Wallace
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA looks to 2010 World Cup ... and beyond
Next: South Africans urged to learn national anthem

Comments

And it continues to go Pear Shaped for a snake bitten United squad...

Posted by: JkR- | June 7, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I thought I heard Dave Johnson use the words "pear shaped" on Saturday night.

I hope Pena doesn't tweak his groin too much or he'll go blind . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | June 7, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

good luck wallace. godspeed.
at least it wasn't as bad as burpo's injury.

Posted by: Konoha7 | June 7, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Hang in there, Wallace, best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Posted by: Kosh2 | June 7, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, I think there might be some prayer required. Or chicken sacrifice?

Posted by: tundey | June 7, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

When it rains it pours.
Sometimes things go like this. Just keep pushing and things turn eventually.
What news of Namoff?

Posted by: marksman37 | June 7, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Can we get Erpen back? I miss that heart-pounding action.

Posted by: nairbsod | June 7, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

i'm depressed, when will it end

Posted by: SexyOffender | June 7, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Thats a shame. I thought Wallace was finally settling in nicely at left back. Wish him a quick recovery.

I have been trying to incoporate "go pear shape" into at least one conversation a day while at work.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 7, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Yes he did say it. I even mentioned it in the matchnight thread.

Sucks for Wallace, I agree he as looking stronger recently.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 7, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Going pear shaped has nothing to do with pears or shapes. Discuss.

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | June 7, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

It seems that every time we get an important player back from injury, another one bites the dust. What happens if Namoff comes back?

And how great is it that, at this point in the season, the most we can hope for is to persevere?

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 7, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Get Erpen back? How about Vanney or Los Dos Gonzalos? This team is in deep do-do.

Posted by: lgm6986 | June 7, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I haven't heard (or maybe I missed the news) that Barklage had been placed on IR. If not, we are sacrificing a roster spot (perhaps two as Namoff's status remains uncertain). At this point Graye is our ONLY left back. Even with the World Cup break that goes beyond rolling the dice. Pena is kind of like Gooch at this point: a 90-minute performance doesn't loom on the immediate horizon. Combined with Talley's concussion, I think we need to look to the USL ASAP.

Posted by: dcarmy | June 7, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Where's Burch?

Posted by: DadRyan | June 7, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Any word on potential signings in the transfer window? I know DCU's tight-lipped about such matters, but anything? anyone?

Posted by: nairbsod | June 7, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

the Tony Limarzi interview before the game on the RFK video screen started with the following question. " Rodney, you have played every minute of every MLS game so far this season.... " . Right then and there ya had feeling something eerie was gonna happen.

Good Luck kid, get well soon.

Posted by: terpfan4141 | June 7, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

To Onalfo's comments: way too optimistic. I mean, all this "good" play we've been showing lately? Finally put us in a spot where we're tied on points with the expansion club, who has 2 games in hand on us. I don't care if I'm a player, a coach or a fan, I'm not ok with that situation.

Erif Oflano!

Posted by: Matte | June 7, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Maybe United could pick up Zambrotta?

Posted by: DadRyan | June 7, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Yes, by all means Onolfo should be fired for breaking Wallace's leg and not disparaging his only remaining back-ups....

Posted by: JkR- | June 7, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

No, Onalfo should be fired for being a sucky coach. The team is disorganized, and the players are uninspired.

Posted by: Matte | June 7, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

As are your submissions. I expect your resignation. :)

Posted by: JkR- | June 7, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Once again, on Kasper. He put this no-account team together, Curt is just playing the hand he is dealt.

Exhibit A: To placate Moreno, he brings in a 37 YEAR OLD defender! Are you kidding me? How is anyone not surprised that he broke down? What, was Arnold Cruz not available? Erik Imler? Ben Iroha? Thor Lee?

Posted by: lgm6986 | June 7, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lgm6986 | June 7, 2010 4:17 PM

Perhaps another team to support would be a better fit for you. You clearly have a problem with the management of the team. Players are generally transitory, and I'm guessing it's not the charm of RFK that makes you a fan.

You'd probably be a much less bitter person if you found a team to support that was a better suited to your needs.

Seriously.

Posted by: JkR- | June 7, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I always had a soft spot in my hart for Gonzalo Martinez and his kamikazi runs upfield.

Hey - we could be back in the David Stokes era. Did you know that David Stokes is a pastor at a church in Fair Oaks, VA. Oh, that's a different David Stokes!

Dude actually looks a lot like Ricky Gervais!

Posted by: diego_r | June 7, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Dad, Burch is out for a while still as he recovers from a broken foot.

Posted by: dcarmy | June 7, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

JkR

Sorry if what I write offends you. I have been following this team since 1996 in ways much deeper than most, if not all, of the posters on this blog. My current attitude is an informed one and I will be the first to write something positive when something positive happens. It hurts to see this once great team fall into complete and utter disrepair at the hands of a foolish and incompetent general manager.

Posted by: lgm6986 | June 7, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Whatever. Seems like you have quite a personal axe to grind with someone in the front office. Maybe you could state why that is sometime to give some context. It seems to go well beyond the pale.

But if you're having a good time following this team, which clearly makes you bilious, then knock yourself out.

I'd be glad to sing it out over a beer and hear about it.

Posted by: JkR- | June 7, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone else hear this one?

www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1281998/Frustrated-Aston-Villa-striker-Marlon-Harewood-weighs-DC-United-Bursaspor-moves.html

Posted by: alan19 | June 7, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

I have an axe to grind with:

1) The front office

2) The coaching

3) The fates

The first two can f*** off. Not much to do about the third.

Posted by: peter_nd | June 7, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nairbsod | June 7, 2010 2:44 PM
---------------------------------------------------------

Craig Stouffer @ the Examiner is reporting that MLSsoccer;'s DCU beat reporter Charles Boehm says the team has NAC Breda's Edwin de Graaf. I'm not sure who's really generating the de Graaf rumors... I'm sure there's a guy in a van somewhere that is behind the story - a van de Graaf rumor generator.

Now that Earnie Stewart has moved on from NAC Breda's front office to AZ Alkmaar, he may have some input on his old players for DCU's front office.

Posted by: fischy | June 7, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

"I think we need to look to the USL ASAP."

Jebus, please try to remember the last time DCU went there.
(Shudder....)

Real shame about Rodney. The last few games were easily his best as a pro. But I agree with Onalfo for once--Graye and McTavish are not a noticeable dropoff from what DCU has been lining up lately, in fact have been pretty good in the minutes they've gotten.

Thrilled to see Jakovic back in uniform, just hope that situation is handled wisely. Because of the length and totality of a the layoff it brings, a broken collarbone is always career-altering. Let's not see it become career-jeopardizing.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | June 7, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Sad to say, but Pena has NOT done the job for us and Tally was absent in our only shutout?? Coincidence?? We should stick with our back line of Graye, McT, Jako and James!! Best wishes to Rodney, hope he returns soon.

Posted by: patrick18 | June 8, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

"a van de Graaf rumor generator"

c'mon ref, where's the card for this one? this was horrible...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | June 8, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse