Didier Drogba out of World Cup? Ferdinand in doubt

Ivory Coast star Didier Drogba, one of the world's finest strikers, suffered an apparent fractured arm in Friday's friendly against Japan and has told teammates that he will miss the World Cup.

Meantime, England captain Rio Ferdinand, projected to start in central defense, injured a knee at training and seems likely to miss the tournament, as well.

If Drogba and Ferdinand are not available, they would join a growing list of marquee players sidelined by injury: Germany's Michael Ballack, Ghana's Michael Essien, Paraguay's Salvador Cabanas and England's David Beckham, among others.

By Steve Goff  |  June 4, 2010; 11:32 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , England  | Tags: Didier Drogba, Rio Ferdinand, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: U.S. World Cup news & notes
Next: Jozy Altidore's status unchanged

Comments

Would be more significant if it were Ashley Cole or Rooney, but this certainly helps our chances.

Posted by: McBride33 | June 4, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

i actually liked our chances against a creaky old lineup of ferdinand and terry better.

l'equipe is saying drogba is going to have surgery and could be ready in 10 days

Posted by: joe_hill | June 4, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Ferdinand's injury may be a blessing in disguise for England. He's been injury prone for the last two seasons and now, instead of having him get injured mid-tournament, they can bring in a replacement. Hopefully now Rio can recover more comfortably for the upcoming season.

Drogba's injury is very sad, this is one of the top forwards in the world and he would have been devastating against a Brazilian and Portuguese defense.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | June 4, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

The first World Cup in Africa, and there are two standout players who could be considered the best in the world at their positions: target CF Didier Drogba, and midfield dynamo Michael Essien.

Just a damn shame if they both miss the Cup.

Posted by: David_Jacobstein | June 4, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I really thought that Cote d'Iviore would get out of the group stage. If he's definitely out, I'll have to change my fantasy picks.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 4, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

L'Equipe reports that Drogba will have surgery and could be ready for Cote d'Ivoire's June 15 opener: http://bit.ly/cSjt4q

Posted by: allblacks09 | June 4, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

hmm i wonder what l'equipe has to say about whether drogba is going to have surgery or not.

Posted by: joe_hill | June 4, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Even if the injuries are to players I don't really like (Ballack), or they play for opposing nations (Ferdinand), they are a bummer. You always want to see teams at full strength before the Cup.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 4, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I think having RIO out boost USA chances. I don't like smart, more experienced central defenders. Give me the young and impatient ones every time--look at Bornstein for example for US. I'd take a Bocanegra over the understudies any time--they may have more miles on the chasis but with those miles comes tactical and marking experience...

Posted by: lovinliberty | June 4, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, I'm not buying that losing Ferdinand is a good thing for Engerland. The guy is only a few years removed from being one of the 2-3 best central defenders in the world.

Not to mention this probably means A. Cole moves over and a lesser player will be in the starting XI to replace Cole.

It's not as devastating as losing Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, etc., but this isn't a bad thing for the US.

Posted by: McBride33 | June 4, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Pirlo might be out too?! crazy

Posted by: joe_hill | June 4, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

So will it be...

J Carragher - Struggles against speedy forwards; past his prime

L King - Long term knee issues

M Upson - Slow

M Dawson - Just called up to the WC squad; Only 2 caps for the England B team

Any other options? If Findlay plays well tomorrow morning, I'd strongly consider starting him against the slow England baclline

Posted by: tphasbdp | June 4, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Ashley Cole is not moving to a CB role; Ledley King or Michael Dawson will replace Rio in the back. There was always doubt about Rio's fitness for the World Cup and if he could have stayed fit throughout it.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | June 4, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

I was really looking forward to the Brazil v Ivory Coast game. This drastically changes the dynamics of that game. Damn shame....

Posted by: CHICO13 | June 4, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Obviously I don't know the specifics of Drogba's injury but would a broken arm necessarily rule him out for the Cup? I've played with several teammates who played with soft casts. Wouldn't this possibly be an option?

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | June 4, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kev29 | June 4, 2010 12:05 PM

- Seconded.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | June 4, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Thirded. But I doubt a broken arm will keep Drogba out. He's not Thierry Henry after all.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 4, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF

Henry's arms only keep out the Irish. I hope Drogba can play. that group wont be nearly as fun to watch without him.

Posted by: VTUnited | June 4, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

I though Michael Dawson didn't make it into the final 23? He should be there, he's had a great season, and I'm hardly a Spurs fan.

Ballack and Beckham are well past their best. Ferdinand looks that way too. Essien is a solid midfielder but lacks an offensive edge. Drogba is the only superstar on the injured list, the only potential tournament-changer.

Shame if Paraguay lost their best player, though. A friend who knows about these things told me they could have surprised a few people this year.

Posted by: bourassa1 | June 4, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

If the injury-prone Ledley King can go 3-4 games in a row without crocking himself (a proposition which is being tested in friendlies right now), he’d could well be ahead of Ferdinand in the pecking-order anyway. Doubts about King have always centred on his fitness, never on his ability.

Personally, with Terry visibly slowing by the week, I’d love to see King and Dawson out there together, the Spurs central defence. They already know how to play together and have had a great season.

Posted by: bourassa1 | June 4, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

So will it be...

J Carragher - Struggles against speedy forwards; past his prime

L King - Long term knee issues

M Upson - Slow

M Dawson - Just called up to the WC squad; Only 2 caps for the England B team

Posted by: tphasbdp | June 4, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

--------------

But here's the thing (note: I'm a Spurs fan) if you pair Dawson and King in the middle you get a very very good defense. Certainly not the quickest, but when those two were playing together Spurs were a world class team.

Granted it would probably be King and Terry, which is still quite good.

Posted by: M__N | June 4, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

If Ledley King is healthy (he has been for the last couple months), he's perfectly capable of stepping in for Ferdinand. And might do a better job of stemming us when we counter.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 4, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bourassa1 | June 4, 2010 2:03 PM

Dawson is available as an alternate in case of injury, and looks likely to be flown in by Cappello.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 4, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Of course, King and Terry are both good for a few goals at the other end, more so than Dawson and much more than Ferdinand.
I don't like John Terry, but I doubt if any defender alive has scored more big goals than he has.

Posted by: bourassa1 | June 4, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Ahh, thanks for the info, Kev.

Posted by: bourassa1 | June 4, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: McBride33 | June 4, 2010 11:41 AM

Posted by: joe_hill

me too! Especially the way Terry finished the season. He was not at his best. Ferdinand's best days are behind him. King is a beast.

Posted by: delantero | June 4, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

1. I can't help but think all these games are putting too much stress on the players (Champ league, domestic cups, MLS expos, etc.)

2. too bad for drogba (and ballack, rio)

3. is capello going old school and fielding tottenham as the nat'l team?

Posted by: wordup1 | June 5, 2010 2:13 AM | Report abuse

Ferdinand out boosts England's chances IMO , in Man Utd's domestic and European campaign last season ,far to many players just strolled past ,
Why Cappello picked him is beyond me terrible season plagued with injury ,
King his probable replacement is a cracking player but his knee is very very suspect , this could all go belly up for the English , me Im supporting
ABE in this World Cup

Anyone But Engurland

Mon The colonials get right in tae them

Posted by: Jaggybunnet | June 5, 2010 2:37 AM | Report abuse