Donovan: 'I am prepared for this moment'

Out at Irene Farm, where the U.S. national team is based here in South Africa, Landon Donovan addressed the media.

Asked about his preparations for this World Cup, he said: "I am prepared and I know the qualities I have as a player, as a person, as an athlete. I am prepared for this moment. I wasn't prepared in 2006. When you feel this prepared, you don't worry about whether it is going to go right on the day, is this going to happen, is that going to happen. I know I am going to play well on Saturday."

Donovan appreciates the enormity of playing England in a World Cup but sees the big picture.

"I understand how much is put into this game, and I understand what it means. I definitely do. But there is more to it. We have to be ready to react no matter what happens on Saturday. Last year [at the Confederations Cup] we learned that very clearly; we thought we were out after two games and we played a great game against Egypt and it changed everything. We have to keep the big picture in mind, for sure."

He was also asked, if the USA were to upset England, who would be cast in his role in a movie: "I don't know who the hell would play me in a movie. I like Johnny Depp, though."

Has he spoken to Los Angeles Galaxy teammate David Beckham recently?

Donovan deadpanned: "No. He is a spy."

Just so you don't get the wrong idea, Donovan also said very nice things about Beckham and the Englishman's impact on MLS.

More later.....

By Steve Goff  |  June 9, 2010; 7:52 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , England , U.S. men's national team  | Tags: Landon Donovan, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wednesday kickaround
Next: U.S. World Cup news & notes

Comments

I could swear he said something exactly like this in 2006. He'd better be prepared or we're going nowhere.

Posted by: spidergoose | June 9, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

"No. He is a spy." Classic stuff. Here's a good article about the US getting no respect in England. http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/u-s-not-getting-any-respect-from-england--fbintl,ro-englandusa060710.html

Posted by: nairbsod | June 9, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse

"He was also asked, if the USA were to upset England, who would be cast in his role in a movie."

That reminds me of the Nike ad where Donovan takes the microphone out of the reporter's hand and rips it in half.

I guess as far as US Soccer and the media are concerned, when you make your bed you have to lay in it. Even if the sheets do feel a bit... off.

Posted by: Modibo | June 9, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Unless he gets injured, in this tournament Landon will play the best soccer of his career. Hopefully it will be enough to offset the other team deficiencies.

Posted by: csd1 | June 9, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Donovan definitely has the swagger and self assurance of a top player right now. The even better thing is that is appears contagious because Buddle is playing with real confidence. Cherundolo seemed calm, composed and up for the task at hand too last Saturday. Hopefully Donovan’s leadership helps raise the level of this team.

I am not worried about our attack, I think we will create a chance or two against England. It’s can our defense tighten up that will decide this game.

For some reason, if Buddle plays, I believe he will get two goals –both assisted by Donovan.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 9, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

BECKAHM!

I haven't been sober since Saturday.

Posted by: biga116 | June 9, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Maybe his ex-wife can play his ex-wife.

Posted by: Reignking | June 9, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Iniesta now doubtful for the opener (marca).

Posted by: Reignking | June 9, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Maybe his ex-wife can play his ex-wife.

Posted by: Reignking

Good idea unless she asks for half of the movie revenue and she wants to keep the movie set.

Posted by: csd1 | June 9, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

@biga116: I wish.

Posted by: nairbsod | June 9, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

When Beckham heals and come back to LA, can we Please get a Spy vs. Spy add casting the two players? I think it would be hilarious.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 9, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

I'm having trouble picking in these predictors -- for example, Denmark. I know nothing about them.

Posted by: Reignking | June 9, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Amazon has a WC2010 reading list or gift list for your favorite soccer fan. Crap, I'm going to go broke.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 9, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

I keep worrying that someone is going to get mad at my Beckham postings. Will that stop me? Doubtful.

Does anyone know if there will be a live chat for Friday's opening match?

Posted by: biga116 | June 9, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

I will maintaining radio silence on Friday, so that I can go home and watch the matches.

Posted by: Reignking | June 9, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

@biga116: BECKHAM! And I'm at work without alcohol.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 9, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I-270, what does "...at work without alcohol" mean?

Posted by: biga116 | June 9, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

It's great that everyone is hyped for this England match but don't we have 2 other games?

It would be nice to hear what the players have to say about Slovenia and Algeria for a change.

We played a great game against Italy in 2006 but were destroyed by Czech Republic and looked slow against Ghana. If we tie England this year we still have to win another game against a European and/or African team just like in 2006.

Posted by: Southeasterner | June 9, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

@ Southeasterner - this is the internets. we dont have time for your common sense.

Posted by: VTUnited | June 9, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

It means, biga116, that I should get a job where you work.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 9, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

@ Southeasterner: Personally, I think Slovenia is the dark horse in Group C. FIFA has Slovenia ranked 25th and Algeria 30th. Algeria's keeper has been suspended for the first two games of the group phase (that's what I heard, at least), meaning he'll be back for the match against the U.S. Slovenia beat Russia in a two-game playoff to earn a spot for the WC, winning on away goals. They were second-place in group phase, finishing behind Slovakia. My two cents: whoever wins U.S.-Slovenia will advance to the Round of 16. It's up in the air if it's a draw.

Posted by: hofbrauhausde | June 9, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I just hope we don't lay another pair of eggs in the box score and bow out thoroughly outclassed. A second consecutive World Cup disaster would be a terrible blow for the development of US soccer, still struggling to break through a wall of indifference. A good showing after our Confederations Cup success might, however, be the final nudge needed to break into the mainstream. We've reached the point where we usually beat the lower-tier teams, match up well against the middle-tier teams such as Turkey and, on the 20 per cent of good/lucky days, can beat a world-class side such as England or Spain. Beating England, winning another and showing well in the 2nd round could be the bell that awakens the sleeping giant.

Posted by: SammyT1 | June 9, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

donovan is a choke artist of the highest order --- this team is going nowhere

Posted by: bestmick1 | June 9, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm far from a Donovan fan, but I'm very optimistic about the US' chances in this tourney.

Re: Beckham

One of the most overrated players of all-time. Period. 1 trick pony. Pretty sure his contract is up with LA after this season anyway, so he's gone.

Posted by: alecw81 | June 10, 2010 2:37 AM | Report abuse