FIFA Group E: Netherlands, Japan advance at World Cup

Netherlands scores a 2-1 win over Cameroon, cinching top honors in Group E.

Japan bests Denmark, 3-1, to earn second place from the group.

Netherlands will play Slovakia in the round of 16 on Monday at 10 a.m. Japan will face Paraguay on Tuesday at 10 a.m.

By Matt Bonesteel  |  June 24, 2010; 4:30 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama extends kudos, good wishes to U.S. squad
Next: Friday kickaround: World Cup and MLS

Comments

To those of you NFL visitors:

Netherlands 14, Cameroon 7

Japan 21, Denmark 7

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | June 24, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

One more day, but it's time to review Goff's predictions....

GROUP A
Goff picked: Mexico, South Africa.
(I had: Mexico, France).
(We both underestimated Uruguay. I seriously overestimated France.)

GROUP B
Goff picked: Argentina, Nigeria.
(I had: Argentina, South Korea) (Score one for me).

GROUP C
Goff (and I both) picked: England, United States.

GROUP D
Goff picked: Germany, Ghana.
(I picked: Germany and Serbia).
(Score one for Goff)

GROUP E
Goff picked: Netherlands, Denmark.
(I had: Netherlands and Cameroon)
(We both seriously underestimated Japan and I really overrated Cameroon).

GROUP F
Goff (and I both) picked: Italy, Slovakia.
(Missed Paraguay and overrated Italy).

GROUP G
Goff picked: Brazil, Ivory Coast.
(I went with: Brazil, Portugal) (Score another one for me)

GROUP H
Goff (and I both) picked: Spain, Chile.
(Switzerland still has a shot at it, but I think we got this group right.)

All-in-all, I'm glad I didn't wager on these games. Anyone nail it?

Posted by: fischy | June 24, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

To those of you NFL visitors:

Netherlands 14, Cameroon 7

Japan 21, Denmark 7

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | June 24, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like Denmark couldn't stop the run.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | June 24, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Japanese have clearly figured out how to work that Jabulani.

Maybe Clint should head out to the driving range and hit a bucket of them before Saturday.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 24, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

South Africa or Brazil?

Who would have thought the South Africa WC would become the Americas World Cup. The only team that probably won't qualify for the round of 16 is Honduras and the only team from the Americas that didn't win their group is Mexico (who came in second to Uruguay).

Assuming standings stay the same...

CONMEBOL - All 5 teams advance to round of 16 - 100%
CONCACAF - 2 out of 3 - 66%
UEFA - 6 out of 13 - 46%
AFC - 2 out of 5 - 40%
CAF - 1 out of 6 - 17%

Posted by: Southeasterner | June 24, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

You rolled New Zealand into Asia.

AFC - 2 out of 4 - 50%
OFC - 0 out if 1 - 0%

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 24, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

I have to give credit to the Post for publishing all of these articles on the World Cup but it is a bit disheartening to read all the "soccer is boring" and "who cares" posts that seem to take over the comment sections and completely sidetrack any discussion of the actual articles.

It’s still a bit bizarre that so many Americans still feel the need to make sure everyone knows how much they dislike a sport.

I couldn’t imagine trolling all of the articles on Nascar and writing “who cares” in the comment section for all of them.

Posted by: Southeasterner | June 24, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Southeasterner |

Yeah, but in all fairness, can NASCAR fans read?

Don't get all argy-bargy about it, you know you all thought the same thing.

Posted by: Gavinmgraham | June 24, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Someday we'll look back on the "who cares" posts with nostalgia -- a part of the game, like the Dodgers being from Brooklyn.

"Grandpa, tell me the story again about the trolls bashing soccer . . . "

Posted by: fallschurch1 | June 24, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Great World Cup, print coverage, and TV, but the U.S. fans have taken it to a new level!

The USA:
Most tickets purchased.
Fantastic stadium support.
Exciting, and talented team.

"Grandpa, tell me the story again about the trolls bashing soccer . . . "
Posted by: fallschurch1

"That's about right :)!!" I say with complete smugness.

Posted by: delantero | June 24, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Bill, we share the same reading!

""It's an idea he got from reading Franklin Foer's book, "How Soccer Explains the World: An Unlikely Theory of Globalization," six years ago. ""

Posted by: delantero | June 24, 2010 11:22 PM | Report abuse

@fischy, I would not count the Ivory Coast out yet. Brazil says they'll beat Portugal, and they might spank 'em, and The Drog might pump ten goals in by himself.

Posted by: glfrazier | June 24, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Who would have thought the South Africa WC would become the Americas World Cup.
Posted by: Southeasterner | June 24, 2010 7:30 PM

Euro teams never do well at World Cups outside of Europe, so its not that surprising

Posted by: VTUnited | June 25, 2010 12:37 AM | Report abuse