FIFA Group G in World Cup: Brazil vs. Portugal, Ivory Coast vs. North Korea

Group G's representatives in the knockout round will be decided this morning. Brazil and Portugal have all but secured berths in the round of 16, and it will take something of a miracle for Ivory Coast to overtake Portugal for second place in the group. More intriguing: The winner of Group G will take on the second-place team from Group H, which might be European champion Spain, depending on its game later today against Chile.

For a Brazil vs. Portugal live box score, click here, and for in-game commentary, click here.

For a Ivory Coast-North Korea live box score, click here, and for in-game commentary, click here.

For streaming video of the games, click here.

By Matt Bonesteel  |  June 25, 2010; 9:28 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Brazil , Portugal
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: World Cup poll: England or Germany?
Next: World Cup 2010: Brazil vs. Portugal ends in 0-0 tie in FIFA Group G

Comments

Portugal for the win -- because that's what I predicted earlier. I thought this would be a meaningless match, so both teams would take it easy, but Portugal needs it more, although their goal differential is out of this mundo.

Posted by: Reignking | June 25, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Brazil has rested some starters.

Posted by: Reignking | June 25, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Hey fisch, you got a comment deleted elsewhere?

Posted by: Reignking | June 25, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Get your Yayas out! Glad to see the unsung hero of Barca get one.

Posted by: Reignking | June 25, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

My own private thread!

Posted by: Reignking | June 25, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Not so fast.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 25, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Former Germany captain and Chelsea midfielder Michael Ballack has signed a two-year deal with his former club Bayer Leverkusen.

Posted by: Reignking | June 25, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

An-Yong.

Posted by: Reignking | June 25, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Ha ha. Tiago booked for a blatant dive. What to do with my remaining 2913 characters?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 25, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I've got to say I'm pleased with some cards coming out for diving in this tournament. Wish we'd see more of that in MLS.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 25, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

First reference to the magic sponge. Drink

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 25, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Pepe might be needing the magic sponge after that revenge hit by Melo...

Posted by: DadRyan | June 25, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Emmanuel "Bob" Eboué with a shot.

Posted by: Reignking | June 25, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Harkes hasn't said "wow" at all yet. I am disappointed.

No way this game finishes with 22 players.

Posted by: fedssocr | June 25, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

I've got the radio feed working (for the CIV game) but they keep breaking for minutes-long commercials. Technical difficulties I guess.

Has there been a Pepe-Duda combination yet?

Posted by: Reignking | June 25, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

OK. Cote d'Ivoire has to score 7 more goals. Allez les Elephants!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 25, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

So for those of you that aren't going to bars to watch on Saturday, what are you folks grilling, eating, drinking, etc? Anyone grilling before and after the game?

We went with burgers and chips when we played England, and made sure no one brought over any British Beers.

In the collective mind of Soccer Insider, what are the quintessential World Cup viewing party dishes?

Posted by: DadRyan | June 25, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Thinking about some grilled skirt steak Argentine style myself, if I have time and energy for the prep. It will be pretty f'g hot over the pre-game grill tomorrow though.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 25, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

DadRyan I was in Pittsburgh for the England game and the game was on right in the smack of a wedding. Service at noon and party at 5. My brother, girlfriend, and I got a pizza and had a few beers.

For the other two games I have been at work and had to eat my yogurt at halftime because I was too nervous/upset and needed the cold delicious wild cherry yogurt to take the edge off.

Tomorrow, I will most likely be at Fado's. Or Lucky Bar (where I want to go) but again my girlfriend wears the pants in the relationship and she loves Fado's.

Not a big fan of the character limits. How else is Fischy going to provide this blog with rants, expertise, pontifications, etc. ?!?!?

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 25, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Ha! That's what taking a running dive onto the kid's slip and slide is for!

Posted by: DadRyan | June 25, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

In my last post I successfully used up about 700 characters but never once directly answered DadRyans. I have nothing World Cup game related becasue my work took my watching ability away.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 25, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: grubbsbl
==========

Cap and trade.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 25, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

oops, that was directed at OWNTF's comment about the heat over the grill at high noon tomorrow...

grubbs, the lucky has a lame bathroom set up for a soccer bar. Unless something has changed lately. Literally a log jam trying to take a leak at the half. Unless you're like me and looking to take a safety break in an alley at half time and don't mind pissing behind a dumpster I'd say Fado might still end up being more fun?

Posted by: DadRyan | June 25, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Log jam? Is that a euphemism?

Posted by: Reignking | June 25, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Good piece by John Oliver last night on The Daily Show, exposing some of the hypocrisy of FIFA. We need more of that.

Posted by: Reignking | June 25, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

They should have just let the coaches play, since they were the only ones who cared. I feel bad for the spectators, especially those who traveled for this garbage.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | June 25, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I have no problem using dumpsters. I have a few St. Patrick days in Syracuse on my resume to provide as evidence (For any future Cuse visitor: When all the bar lines are too long, use the parking garage across from Maloneys, 2nd floor). I'll probably end up at Fado's. I have never been to Lucky Bar for a game because Fado's is closer from College Park and that is usually as far as I am willing to travel for the early morning kick offs in the European season.

I-270. Brilliant.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 25, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Harkes said something about expecting several goals in this game. I know he was trying to get pumped up, but if you have a brain you knew this game was going to be a snoozer.

Posted by: GeneWells | June 25, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Reignking I agree. I couldn't believe that John Oliver coaxed the guy he interviewed into admitting that the goal is to pick and choose parts of Africa to represent. We all know a stuffed animal lion represents the culture of a continent.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 25, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else think Gooch will be back in central defense tomorrow? Bradley's reasoning for wanting Bornstein was that he wanted his speed and attacking. Ghana is quick, but I think he may want to play Boca on the left to be more conservative and less susceptible to the counter.

Posted by: Reignking | June 25, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather have Gooch and Boca for set pieces than Bornstein for "speed."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 25, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm curious what Bob will do with the forwards.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 25, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse