Friday kickaround: World Cup and MLS

From The Post: I look back and ahead with the U.S. team; former president Bill Clinton continues his excellent World Cup adventure; and TV columnist Len Shapiro admires ESPN's commitment and coverage.

The Guardian has high praise for MLS, which, despite having only four representatives on the U.S. World Cup squad, served as the starting point for most of the national team players. Speaking of MLS, the league will awaken from its World Cup slumber with eight matches this weekend, starting tonight with reigning champion Real Salt Lake hosting the San Jose Earthquakes. Wisely, none of the league matches were scheduled to kick off in the afternoon, when Cup games are being shown.

For the schedule, TV listings and predictions on the final day of group play in the World Cup.....

MATCHDAY 15
Brazil (2-0) vs. Portugal (1-0-1), 10 a.m. ET
ESPN, Univision, ESPN Deportes, ESPN3.com (ESPN Classic at 10 p.m.)
Prediction: Brazil, 2-1.

Ivory Coast (0-1-1) vs. North Korea (0-2-0), 10 a.m.
ESPN2, Telefutura, ESPN3.com (ESPN Classic at 8)
Prediction: Ivory Coast, 3-1.

Spain (1-1) vs. Chile (2-0), 2:30 p.m.
ESPN, Univision, ESPN Deportes, ESPN3.com (ESPN Classic at midnight)
Prediction: Spain, 2-1.

Switzerland (1-1) vs. Honduras (0-2), 2:30 p.m.
ESPN2, Telefutura, ESPN3.com (ESPN Classic at 6)
Prediction: 1-1.

By Steve Goff  |  June 25, 2010; 5:12 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , MLS , TV , U.S. men's national team  | Tags: Bill Clinton, South Africa, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: FIFA Group E: Netherlands, Japan advance at World Cup
Next: World Cup poll: England or Germany?

Comments

No way Switzerland ties Honduras. Hopp suisse!!!

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 25, 2010 6:06 AM | Report abuse

I dig MLS

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 25, 2010 6:29 AM | Report abuse

I have a quibble with the ESPN coverage: the almost embarrassed silence about dropping of Onyewu, like it was a family scandal that needed to be hushed up. Seemed to me he was beaten badly in the Slovenia match, and when we gets replaced we have a clean sheet ... shouldn't someone be talking about this, and about how even a gifted athlete needs time to get his instincts back after missing so many months?

Posted by: granadoskerry | June 25, 2010 7:15 AM | Report abuse

wait....did I just read something positive about MLS from a UK paper? That's gotta be a first. I think this should be in the reading stack of stuff for the eurosnobs.

Posted by: nairbsod | June 25, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: nairbsod | June 25, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

sorry for that double post. Just got a new 'puter and all that....

Posted by: nairbsod | June 25, 2010 8:02 AM | Report abuse

also, here's a question for everyone: which US players stock has risen the most so far this tournament?

Posted by: nairbsod | June 25, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse

Most certainly Landon's stock has risen dramatically, but I think he stays in MLS and plays for Everton in the offseason. Dempsey might move to a bigger club along with his Fulham manager. Feilhaber played a great second half against Algeria, but I don't know what his contractual obligations are in Denmark. If Jozy finishes one or more of his chances against Ghana, he will be on the move, too. Yanks Abroad reported last week that Bornstein is heading to Atlante. I'm also hoping to leave Fort Jackson. I just finished a 5-mile run in 90 degree heat with 100 percent humidity!

Posted by: dcarmy | June 25, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

@ granadoskerry | I have a quibble with the ESPN coverage: the almost embarrassed silence about dropping of Onyewu.
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I also expected to hear more. I've been suggesting dropping Onyewu for years and I did so again on this blog in the hours before we played Algeria.

He makes poor decisions, he is slow and he takes stupid yellow cards.

I can't understand how ANYBODY can be injured for an intire year and have his FIRST game be against ENGLAND in the WORLD CUP!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 25, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

@nairbsod sorry for that double post. Just got a new 'puter and all that....
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

It was a wonderful post and I enjoyed reading it both times.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 25, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

@nairbsod sorry for that double post. Just got a new 'puter and all that....
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

It was a wonderful post and I enjoyed reading it both times.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 25, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Just a note of great thanks to the Goffinho and all the Post staff for producing so much excellent coverage of the World Cup.

Posted by: BaltoFan | June 25, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 9Nine9

Bob Bradley!

Posted by: Dancy1 | June 25, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 9Nine9

Bob Bradley!

Posted by: Dancy1 | June 25, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

I think Michael Bradley's stock has risen too. I am sure were he goes. I hope he actually stays in the German league but moves to a bigger club. The English press are raving about Bradley's midfeid bit though, so maybe he does move to the EPL.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 25, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Anybody know of a pub in Rehobeth, DE or OC, MD that would likely be showing the United v Crew match on Saturday night? Thanks.

Posted by: Truckr | June 25, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the reminder that MLS starts up again tonight... Get your Argy Bargy teams in check folks!

Posted by: DadRyan | June 25, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Originally, I forgot that MLS would be overshadowed by the US-Ghana match, but I think it is going to work out great. Soccer is going to be on at bars all day now...

Posted by: Reignking | June 25, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

The Guardian piece was well done. And as an MLS fan, I'd rather watch young guys like Chris Pontius and Rodney Wallace develop (or not) than watch the Gonzalos and Gallardos of the world land here to run out their strings . . . .

And I'm still laughing about Shapiro's poor dog . . .

I dig the Wash Post.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 25, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

You have to love the Bob Bradley haters. Keep in mind people that this is the man who took us to the Confed Cup final and was close to beating Brazil, beat Spain, and now has led us to the top of our group ahead of England and poised to reach the quarters if we can knock off Ghana. I also think that most of us would say that Gooch played quite well against England and after his poor showing against Slovenia Bob did the right thing and benched him. I know I was one of the first to question why Bornstein was on the roster, much less starting in the WC, but clearly it was the right decision. That was what, our first clean sheet in 12 matches? Cut the man some slack, I too sometimes question his decisions, but it's very difficult to argue with his results.

Posted by: CYork1 | June 25, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

CYork1, you are absolutely spot on! In my book BB has already earned a contract extension with a generous pay raise.

Posted by: dcarmy | June 25, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcarmy | June 25, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

CYORK,
Actually are defensive was not good in the group stages. Algeria has scored 1 goal in their last 6 games. In the group stages they were the only team we held at or below their average goals per game. Slovenia scored 3 goals 2 of them were against us. England scored 2 goals and 1 of them was against us. Gooch looked good in the first game because his primary assignment was against the only player slower than him in the group. Bornstein looked good against Algeria because in the last year pretty much everyone playing defense has looked good against Algeria.

I have respect for Bob Bradley and I am happy about what he has done with this team. Excluding the game against Spain last year the USMNT defense on the whole has been poor. Most likely our exit from this World Cup will be the result of our poor defense.

Posted by: csd1 | June 25, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Bradley wanted speed out of the back, according to something I read on Soccernet (or somewhere). He took out Gooch to manage his minutes after a year-long lay off and slid Boca over. Having said that, Bornstein isn't very speedy.

MLS has contributed to WC teams, including the USA, New Zealand, Honduras, and Portugal (Queiroz).

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 25, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

He makes poor decisions, he is slow and he takes stupid yellow cards.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 25, 2010 8:35 AM

Hey 9Nine9 - when was the last time you saw Gooch take a "stupid yellow card"? And you're right, with all that poor decision making he really should play a year for free at AC MILAN. Less than a year ago he was the rock of our defense, so cut the guy some slack.

and Bob Bradley does deserve to stay on for at least another 2 years, regardless of what happens on saturday. aside from the fact that his performance merits it, the players fight to the end for him, which wasn't the case with Arena or Sampson.

Posted by: VTUnited | June 25, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Confed Cup final. World Cup semis a possibility.

Fire Bob Bradley!

Posted by: fischy | June 25, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

@fischy:

THAT'S the kind of short-fused, knee-jerk, lunatic-fringe commentary I've been missing on the Insider comment section! Thanks!!!

Actually, Bradley's clear, direct and reasonably concise comments in recent interviews (after the Slovenia and Algeria matches) lead me to believe that he may have already been fired and replaced with a look-alike.

Posted by: BaltoFan | June 25, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Hey, a couple things:

First, did you notice that we won our group without a single goal from any of our strikers?!

Second, I love this quote from the article about ESPN coverage:

"President Barack Obama, when he called the U.S. team to congratulate it, said he was meeting with Gen. David Petraeus at the time of the goal, and could hear the rest of the West Wing erupt in cheers."

That's fantastic. The article doesn't seem to capture numbers of people watching on univision.com, however, which I bet was big.

Posted by: WorldCup | June 25, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

If we beat Ghana, we may have to conclude that Bill Clinton is good luck and get him to rearrange his schedule so he can be in Joburg July 2nd for USA v. Uruguay (or South Korea, except not).

The comments section on the Guardian article was almost as entertaining to read as SI. Almost.

Posted by: dccal | June 25, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse