Mexico vs. Uruguay, France vs. South Africa to decide Group A

Group A's representatives in the knockout round will be determined this morning. Mexico and Uruguay will both advance with a tie, or with a tie in the France-South Africa game. France and South Africa have very slim hopes of advancement: Both would need to score a blowout victory, and hope either Uruguay or Mexico wins big.

France captain Patrice Evra is not in the starting lineup for today's game after he led a player strike at practice on Sunday.

For live stats from the Mexico vs. Uruguay game, click here, and for match commentary, click here. For live stats from the France vs. South Africa game, click here, and for match commentary, click here.

Live streaming of the games can be found here.

By Matt Bonesteel  |  June 22, 2010; 9:42 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , France , Mexico , Uruguay
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Spain vs. Honduras in World Cup 2010
Next: Planet football, animal planet

Comments

Anyone know how Univision's stream is going to work? I am not too concerned for today's game cause I am doing work but I am concerned about tomorrow games. Univision is the only stream that works in my office. Though, I am considering having a "doctors appointtment" tomorrow from 10-12.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 22, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

dude bro, I'd schedule that doc visit and just play it safe with the symptoms you seem to be experiencing...:)

Posted by: DadRyan | June 22, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I think that is what I has to be. Especially because the boss just scheduled a useless "branch meeting" from 11-12. Looks like I might just be calling in sick.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 22, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

I hear you, grubbsbl. I'm in the 'burg today, with no TV anywhere. Missing all of today's games. Ugh.

BTW... I don't trust Jesse either. And Chuck Finley IS a better code name!

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | June 22, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

You can watch both games. There is a link at the bottom right which will open the other game for you. Still, I think I am sick.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 22, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I was hoping that Gourcuff could emerge in this tournament, but I had a feeling that France would be bad, so he wouldn't.

Posted by: Reignking | June 22, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

It's 1-0 South Africa. haha. Mexico is looking dangerous. Blanco still hasn't grown a neck.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 22, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Just give Evra a note to give to your boss explaining that you refuse, that should do the trick . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | June 22, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Oh my Irish heart is starting to sing!

Posted by: DadRyan | June 22, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

The French are defending like they did in WWII.

Posted by: soccerman | June 22, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

2-0 South Africa. I agree Reignking about Gourcuff. France have figured out how to be awful. He never stood a chance.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 22, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

I mean, the question has to be asked . . . is it possible the game is rigged?

Posted by: OWNTF | June 22, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Oh my, this is just got interesting.

Posted by: Reignking | June 22, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Rigged how? France are just useless, the FFA should be ashamed of themselves.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | June 22, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

OWNTF... Are you suggesting the French players made a deal with the South African players? A deal which allows South Africa to score the necessary goals to go through? I like where your head is.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 22, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

The French are defending like they did in WWII.
Posted by: soccerman
=========

That's just uncalled for. Funny as hell, but uncalled for.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 22, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

It would be France's revenge for Maximillian :)

Posted by: Reignking | June 22, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Apparently, S.Africa could've had #3

Leander Schaerlaeckens: How South Africa could have used that goal. The player that kept them offside was not at all involved in the play. Dubious call there.

Posted by: Reignking | June 22, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Adieu, adieu.
To you and you and you.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 22, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I can only hope this happens just to see Mexico's demise.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 22, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

The second half in both matches will be crazy. The intensity of the varying emotions in the locker rooms right now has got to be very high.

Posted by: csd1 | June 22, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

How pathetic am I to think that when I saw the match tracker that "B. Khumalo" had scored a goal that the first thought that came into my head was, "Boyzzz scored?!?"

:-P

Posted by: Juan-John1 | June 22, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I am considering having a "doctors appointment" tomorrow from 10-12.
Posted by: grubbsb.
===========

Unfortunatley, I have a real appt. I asked the doc to install wifi in his office so that I can stream movies and soccer, but he mumbled something about HIPAA.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 22, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

When the plane lands, expect another Paris massacre. I really hope South Africa can do it (It's either The Boys or those guys who cleat us every time we're winning). It's in the stars. Surprising Domenech didn't see them there.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 22, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Am I the only one here who wants to see our CONCACAF compadres make it through? Mind you, there would be a definite cool factor if S Africa made it...

This is the wildest, wackiest WC ever.

Posted by: glfrazier | June 22, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I-270 As any good HRSA employee will tell you. HIPAA is amazing. (I don't even know what is stands for, but I do know it is important -and thats all that counts.)

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 22, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

From Telegraphs live commentary:

WRAP: Seriously, is there a half-time team-talk, in the history of half-time team-talks, that you'd rather be spying on? It's a farce doing a impression of a shambles, but with a rubbish accent. "Could France be doing this on purpose?" mails Patricia Higgins. Possible. But that would be the first time they've achieved anything they've set out to do in quite some time.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 22, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Details, people, details! You're killing me!

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | June 22, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Am I the only one here who wants to see our CONCACAF compadres make it through?

Posted by: glfrazier | June 22, 2010 11:04 AM |

Posted by: VTUnited | June 22, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

South Africa and Uruguay almost score.

54' South Africa 2-0 France
56' Uruguay 1-0 Mexico

Posted by: RedDevil1 | June 22, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Ribery wastes a chance but South Africa still looking better, Uruguay having the better the play of game.

62' Uruguay 1-0 Mexico
61' South Africa 2-0 France

Posted by: RedDevil1 | June 22, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Mexico miss a clear chance.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | June 22, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Am I the only one here who wants to see our CONCACAF compadres make it through?
Posted by: glfrazier | June 22, 2010 11:04 AM |

It's Mexico, there's nothing compadre about them.

I'd be cheering for Honduras, Costa Rica, etc . .. but never the tricolore . . although I do like Dos Santos, Vela way more than the previous editions of this squad.

Posted by: delantero | June 22, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

This goal difference needs to get down to 1 soon so the ends of these games can get kicked up a notch.

Posted by: csd1 | June 22, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I actually enjoy the football Mexico play but I can't stand them enough to root for them. Plus this would be an epic comeback so I have to pull for South Africa. And it is always good to laugh at France.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 22, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Goal! France

71' South Africa 2-1 France

Posted by: RedDevil1 | June 22, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

crap who scored for France?

Posted by: DadRyan | June 22, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

@DadRyan

Malouda with the goal.

Mexico getting the better of play now.

75' Uruguay 1-0 Mexico
74' South Africa 2-1 France

Posted by: RedDevil1 | June 22, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Malouda. Plus Mexico is bossing this game. Well the dream was fun while it lasted.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 22, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

For South Africa to go through, there would have to be a three goal swing.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 22, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

grubbsbi: I've worked with some good people at HRSA. A relatively unknown agency, but doing really good work - and you're near to La Brasa and El Patio for lunch.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 22, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Not much happening now, hopeful balls and fouls for both games.

87' Uruguay 1-0 Mexico
86' South Africa 2-1 France

Posted by: RedDevil1 | June 22, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Why are you happy that France scored?

Posted by: Palin-McCain2012 | June 22, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I don't think anyone is happy that France scored.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | June 22, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Hey, anyone have any input on where the most kid friendly place to watch the games tomorrow might be? As in, how hectic has the atmosphere been at the usual spots I.E. Summers, Kitty O'Sheas, Bailey's, Union Jack's, etc... considering riding someplace with the LilRyan in the morning to watch the matches... It may just make more sense to stay home again, but it sure would be easier than running back and forth between the tv in the living room and the bedroom...

Posted by: DadRyan | June 22, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Both games are over.

Uruguay 1-0 Mexico
South Africa 2-1 France

Posted by: RedDevil1 | June 22, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Just as we thought, South Africa would be the first host failure. I bet we don't even see them in Brazil'14.

Posted by: Reignking | June 22, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Woohoo! I picked this group correctly.

Posted by: Reignking | June 22, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

For Sale

adidas football boots, multiple sizes. Worn three times, rarely touched a ball.

Contact France Football Federation for more details.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | June 22, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse