Hello, my World Cup peeps!

peeps.jpg

By Steven Goff and Liz Clarke

We're tired of the vuvuzelas. They're loud and annoying -- we get it. The best souvenir to take home from the World Cup: marshmallow footballers, which come in packets of eight hand-decorated players (rather than 11?) wearing South Africa, English or Brazilian kits.

Best consumed before 9/30/2011. Recipe includes colors E104, E133, E129, E110, E122 (mmm, 122) and E177. Made in China but distributed by British company Sweet Cred, which also markets Referee's Whistlepops (lemon-flavored lolli), Gummy Footballs (strawberry-flavored sweets) and Supporter's Scarves (strawberry-flavored sour chews).

By Steve Goff  |  June 17, 2010; 8:28 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , South Africa  | Tags: World Cup, marshmallows, peeps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Planet Football
Next: Swiss strategy vs. Spain was made in America

Comments

Steve and Liz,
Would you bring me two packs of USA peeps and two of England? I'm thinking about the Post's 2011 peeps diorama contest, maybe Dempsey's goal against England.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 17, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

This taste like Kaka.

Posted by: Reignking | June 17, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

This tastes like Kaka.

Posted by: Reignking | June 17, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

I think any coach could use them to illustrate strategy with the team, like salt and pepper shakers!

Posted by: paulkp | June 17, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: paulkp | June 17, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

I think I sat in section E122 once.

Posted by: BaltoFan | June 17, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Momentarily stepped out of the office to make it appear that I am accomplishing work and missed the 4th Argentina goal. What was it like? I am imagining it was magical.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 17, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Go to ESPN's gamecast and click on the goal in the timeline. The replay will appear on the video window. It works at my home, not sure if it will work at your work.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 17, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

If Greece wins, then HELLAS will freeze over.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 17, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

That would be a tragedy.

Hey, get your Greek puns in now, while they still last!

Posted by: Reignking | June 17, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Olive mine are used up.

Posted by: asfoolasiam | June 17, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Vangelis Moras will start today. Have fun mispronouncing that.

Posted by: Reignking | June 17, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

The fourth goal was magical, but I think the third goal was offside.

Posted by: fischy | June 17, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

E122 is pretty good but E177 is 55Es better.

Posted by: michanikos1 | June 17, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

My prediction: it'll be all Greece for me.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 17, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I know it's winter in the antipodes, but the South Africans and Brazilians--and for that matter the English--are awfully pale peeps. You'd think with all that coloring (used with panache on the hairstyles) they could capture the multiracial flavor of Africa's world cup.

Posted by: hungrypug | June 17, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Vangelis Moras will start today. Have fun mispronouncing that.

Posted by: Reignking | June 17, 2010 9:45 AM

----------------------------------------------------

Vangelis is playing? I think I might prefer to heat the vuvuzelas....

Posted by: fischy | June 17, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

That was poor. I give you all the Robert Green "My Bad" Hand Raise.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 17, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Thanks I-270. It was magical. I like that in the final replay you can see Messi start to smile before the goal even happens because he knows they are about to score.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 17, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Flat Sharkie would enjoy some futbol peeps.

Posted by: FlatSharkie | June 17, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Oh, they are so cute!

Posted by: ouyangpauline | June 17, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

@fischy: I didn't think so when I saw it live, but watching again in slow-motion, I think you're right that the third goal was offside. Higuain was *just* past both the ball and the second-to-last defender when Messi struck it the second time

Posted by: asfoolasiam | June 17, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

China makes great baby formula; I'm sure the Soccer-Peeps are also delicious and nutritious.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 17, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

GOFF WHAT ABOUT THOSE HARD-HATS-TURNED-INTO-AMAZING-FOLKART/HEADPIECES?!?!!?! someone needs to do a story/photo-op-ed on those.

Posted by: crocken | June 17, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I just emailed SweetCred. Must get some of these!

Posted by: ldmay | June 17, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Hmmm....the South African team looks distinctly different that the peeps and the Brazilian team has apparently never seen the sun.

Posted by: ComoPark | June 17, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse