World Cup news & notes (and music)

*In the immortal words of Johnny Drama, "There's always an underbelly."

From Post foreign correspondent Sudarsan Raghavan's revealing story about Cape Town citizens displaced by World Cup projects:

"Human rights campaigners say South African authorities have forcibly evicted thousands of the poor to Blikkiesdorp and other settlements to present a good visual image of the nation during the World Cup. Cape Town city council officials deny the allegations. What is clear is that the complaints have exposed the wide gap between South Africa's rich and poor 16 years after the end of apartheid."

*Looking for a social setting to watch the World Cup in the D.C. area? The Post's Weekend section has the locations.

*Australia drops its bid for the 2018 World Cup and will instead focus exclusively on 2022. USA next?

*A photo gallery from the Kickoff Celebration Concert in Soweto.

*I'll end my day on a moving note: K'naan's acoustic version of an unofficial World Cup theme song, "Wavin' Flag":

By Steve Goff  |  June 10, 2010; 6:03 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Soccer and music , South Africa , USA World Cup bid  | Tags: Cape Town, K'naan, World Cup, World Cup bid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: World Cup predictions!
Next: Matchnight: D.C. United at Seattle

Comments

Can't believe the cable zonked out and I fell out and missed that. I blame the freakin Black Eye Peas.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 10, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

I suspect that Australia got some deal for dropping out of the 2018 bidding. Like they'll support England in 2018 in exchange for support in 2022. Or do you think its really still up in the air?

Posted by: patrickneil | June 10, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Can he hold a note? Signs point to 'no'.

Posted by: mmathai | June 10, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Nice job, Goff and Liz and crew.

Johnny Drama, huh? I feel the urge to drop a F@&% you Drama!!

District 10? Shame on you SA.

K'naan is the man and Troubadour is THE album.

We are now hours away. Just boght a Flo TV today (yes I am that desperate).

SA 2010 - BELIEVE. USA! USA! USA!

Posted by: Kosh2 | June 10, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe I actually spent the time to look this up, but given the conflicting things I've seen, I couldn't stop myself.

Wavin' Flag is NOT the offical World Cup Theme Song. Waka Waka (This Time for Africa) by Shakira is.

Wavin' Flag is the official theme for Coca-Cola's World Cup sponsorship events.

So there.

Posted by: timogden | June 10, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

How in the world can kitty O'Shea's not be mentioned as a soccer bar?wow

Posted by: bspence11 | June 10, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Finally signed up for the fantasy. I'm in for fantasy and predictor now. I'm a nerd.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 10, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

"Wavin' Flags" is also prominently featured in the FIFA world cup video game-- as my wife can attest from all the hours I've been playing it on PS3 the past few weeks...
Great tune.

Posted by: JayW4 | June 10, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

BBC World reported earlier that the Greek's had $2000 stolen from their hotel. And a couple of journalists were robbed in their hotel room.

Be careful over there Goff and Liz! And everyone else.

Posted by: fedssocr | June 10, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

between you and me bspence11 Kitty's is far more of a soccer bar than many on that stupid list, but we know that right?

Posted by: DadRyan | June 11, 2010 12:53 AM | Report abuse

As far as all the music goes: It's awful. The U2 song, the black eyed peas garbage and this other baloney. One verse and one chorus? over and over and over and over again? NO THANKS.
Can find better music on american Idol. (eyes rolling out of my head)..
We need more of this: