Insider poll: USA vs. Slovenia

With the U.S. team's next match a day away, we would like to know.....

By Steve Goff  |  June 17, 2010; 5:27 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Poll , U.S. men's national team  | Tags: USA vs. Slovenia, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thursday World Cup kickaround
Next: S Africans: Hopes low; horns annoying

Comments

Win by two or more: A skillful goal from Donovan, another lucky goal by Dempsey, and a set-piece goal from Bocanegra.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 17, 2010 6:59 AM | Report abuse

This one is totally up to Bob. If he makes the changes from the opening whistle to ensure more possession and offense, we will probably win. (Surely we are disciplined enough as a team by now to handle it against a defensive, counterattacking side).

I know Clark will be useless, Slovenia doesn't try to control the match in the middle of the field, and since Edu is clearly out of favor, Torres. Let's see how Slovenia handles Dempsey, Donovan, our forwards, even Bradley, when they get the ball in good positions (no shovel passes).

I also think Findley is useless in this one, Slovenia won't be caught out. He can't dribble or shoot. We need Buddle and Jozy, who can both play in front of a backline.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 17, 2010 7:25 AM | Report abuse

I agree, Torres for Clark with Bradley playing more of a holding role and Torres closer to the forwards. Buddle for Findley because he can combine, get on the end of crosses, create space for his own shot, and he can finish.

Posted by: Golden_Child | June 17, 2010 7:48 AM | Report abuse

I have complained about him in the past, but I'm ready to give Bob Bradley some credit for good performance. Bradley set a goal of tying England, and the team purposefully achieved (notwithstanding Clark's mental lapse on the early goal). Of course they will play for 3 points against Slovenia, so I expect a lineup that can possess better: Edu or Torres for Clark, and Buddle for Findley (who may come on as a second-half sub).

I feel this team has a sound gameplan for this group stage, and they are playing with real purpose. We will see.

Posted by: hungrypug | June 17, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I've read Torres might replace Clark, but I wonder if Holden's nice crosses might be better-- also, I wonder if two big target men (Altidore & Buddle) might work. What do you think?

Posted by: MB_202 | June 17, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

I'm getting the feeling that we (the fans) are underestimating Slovenia. After all, everyone's eyes were pointed at England for the past six months. I fear Slovenia is up and coming, and we'll have a tough time handling them. Hopefully, Coach Sweatpants has done his due diligence and can figure a way to break through the stout midfield/defense.

BTW, did Jesse Marsch and David Beckham shake hands on the field before or after the England game? Missed the little subplot there between England's ambassador of goodwill and Bradley's assistant coach.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | June 17, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

It's not like our offense got off to a flying start against England -- yeah, we're underestimating Slovenia. Let's remember that they aren't the worst team in the group, too.

Posted by: Reignking | June 17, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Why does playing offense mean we are underestimating Slovenia? Seriously, playing taking off CLARK and Findley is going to mean the downfall of our team in this match? Let's not let Bob corrupt our soccer loving minds. We know what they do well, let's focus on what they don't: They don't possess or dominate play, they sit back and wait for the other side to overcommit, and they expect to out work opposition.

They will not outwork us, or at least enough to overcome the quality gap, we don't overcommit, Bob Bradley's system doesn't even come close to full attacking pressure. And, having struggled mightily to have a passing game, our players will be spring loaded if we play Torres, who knows how to find them.

We will be in trouble if we bunker against both Algeria and Slovenia. Our one tactic won't work in every match.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 17, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse