Jozy Altidore update from U.S. World Cup camp

U.S. striker Jozy Altidore, who missed Saturday's friendly against Australia with a mildly sprained ankle, participated in a light workout Sunday and ran sprints under the supervision of fitness coach Pierre Barrieu upon the conclusion of the late-afternoon session in Pretoria.

Altidore was not made available for comment afterward. I am awaiting an update from Coach Bob Bradley.

UPDATE: "Jozy has been able to add to his workload every day, which has been positive," Bradley said. "We are pleased with his progress and will continue to move him forward. The team has a day off tomorrow, so we have another opportunity to work with him individually and gauge his status for training."

Altidore was clearly not at full strength, examined his right ankle a few times, but didn't seem to experience significant discomfort. There was not an unusual amount of medical tape above his bright yellow shoe. He also did some ball work with both feet.

The sense I am getting from the delegation is that Altidore will be ready for the England match Saturday.

"It seems like he's getting a little better," goalkeeper Tim Howard said. "It's going to be sore of course, but we still have a long way to the game in terms of needing time to heal. I think he will be fine but that's barring setbacks."

By Steve Goff  |  June 6, 2010; 12:02 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , U.S. men's national team  | Tags: England, Jozy Altidore, U.S. national soccer team, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sunday kickaround
Next: World Cup news & notes

Comments

To be perfectly honest I don't know how much I would really miss him if he didn't play against England.

Posted by: csd1 | June 6, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

csd1- Are you high?

Posted by: billq1 | June 6, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Nice details, Goffinho. Thx!

Posted by: Juan-John | June 6, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I would miss him starting on Saturday, but Herc and Buddle have been effective in their opportunities. I'm cool with that.

Ultimately much more worried about who's starting in the back line.

Thanks for the update Steve.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 6, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Ultimately much more worried about who's starting in the back line.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 6, 2010 12:36 PM

Agreed. I honestly think that starting Gooch would be a risk at this point. Does Bradley allow him to start, see how he plays then reserve a substitute for him (even if it's very early)? With the quick style of play that both teams favor, I don't know if Gooch's leg will be able to take the pace of the game.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 6, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I have World Cup Fever in a bad way. I keep logging in to the WP world cup site, like I'm going to find scores or something. I am far more excited for this one than '92 or '96.

Posted by: glfrazier | June 6, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

The forecast for Saturday is threatening. A heavy rain of balls on the heads of Crouch and Rooney,

Posted by: OWNTF | June 6, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

"I am far more excited for this one than '92 or '96."

I would hope so, given that no world cups were played in either year.

Posted by: grabowcp | June 6, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I am far more excited for this one than '92 or '96.
Posted by: glfrazier
=============

Me too. Especially since the WC was not played in 92 or 96.

(I know, they are typos).

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 6, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

As a Welshman whose team failed to qualify for this year's world cup, I have to say that my loyalties are torn over who to support in the coming US/England game. The best I can do is to wish both teams well and hope for a fast and open game. Up and at 'em, lads. Give us a game to remember.

Posted by: BritAbroad1 | June 6, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I watched highlights from all of the 2002 US matches this morning. I will take a hobbled Gooch over Agoos any day of the week and twice on Saturday, June 12. Our defense has it's work cut out, but we are going to need 11 good performances to win.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | June 6, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, what he said.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 6, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

we just need to play our game and not be overawed by the Brits. I hope BB doesn't play it too conservative. We need all of our best creative players out there. And if Jozy isn't at least 100% he shouldn't play.

Posted by: fedssocr | June 6, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

billq1,

Tell me exactly why I should be so excited about Jozy Altidore playing against England? I have thought for a while that he was a really great striker but then I realized he really isn't right now because he just doesn't score a lot of goals. In the last year prior to the England game he has 4 goals (3 for country, 1 for club). It is nice that he is big and strong and has some moments where you go wow he's good, but to be honest that really isn't enough to make me care if he plays or not. If I thought he was in great form I might feel differently but he really has shown that he is.

Posted by: csd1 | June 6, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Hold it, are we in the 2000's now? Where did the last decade go!?

Posted by: glfrazier | June 6, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

meant to say isn't at the end of the last one.

The other two strikers (Buddle, Gomez) that might start in his place have scored 2 national team goals in the last year (really the last two weeks) and have led their respective leagues in scoring. They both are in the best forms of their life.

Posted by: csd1 | June 6, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

How crazy is it that we have no idea if even one of the strikers we would choose is in the starting lineup?

Like Buddle? Well, Bob said something about him being a great option if Jozy isn't doing well. Meaning Jozy will probably play if he recovers.

That is an If, of course, so we don't know if Jozy will start.

No matter who is healthy, many would bet on Findley being the partner, but for all we know Buddle and Jozy could get the nod!

And we that isn't even considering Gomez, the amazing have-to sub!

This forward line is bizarre.

As for Defense, expecting Goodson and Demerit, marking Crouch and Rooney respectively.

Big question, how is Clark doing (Edu+Torres want to know, too)

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 6, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I really don't get the Jozy love at this point in his career. He's big, strong and has a wealth of ability, he just has not shown much maturity or drive at this point. Buddle looked so much calmer and in the game Saturday than Jozy has looked for a very long time. Findley -- he has speed, but missed two golden opportunities on Saturday. Son, you can't miss those in the tournament. Buddle - Dempsey up front with Holden on for Dempsey's wide midfield slot.

Posted by: griffin1108 | June 6, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

"There was not an unusual amount of medical tape above his bright yellow shoe."

Soccer buffs - half of DCU are wearing yellow shoes as well this season, what gives?

(Also asking because my eyesight is pretty crappy, so in past seasons I've used the color of shoe to ID the player... e.g., Santino & green shoes, Pontius & blue, etc.)

Posted by: Dynaformer | June 7, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

If Gooch isn't completely ready, he should sit. Starting him with an eye to subbing him later in the match is foolish. A manager doesn't want to waste a sub on a defender unless it is necessary because of injury or the need to score late in a match. Keep the subs for midfield and the front. A most-recent example of "wasting" subs on defense was DCU Saturday night. Onalfo had no choice, but it greatly restricted his attacking options. Bradley has a choice. Don't start Gooch unless he can be expected to play the full 90.

Posted by: runningcloud | June 7, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse