Jozy Altidore's status unchanged

USA forward Jozy Altidore, who suffered a mild ankle sprain Wednesday, did not practice Friday and remains doubtful for Saturday's friendly against Australia.

Officially, he is listed as day to day by the U.S. Soccer Federation. However, with the Aussies unhappy about the condition of the pitch in Roodepoort, risking Altidore to further injury wouldn't make any sense.

Altidore attended training in Pretoria on Friday and was evaluated by the medical staff but did not participate in regular workouts. The injury occurred in contact with an undisclosed teammate.

By Steve Goff  |  June 4, 2010; 12:19 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , U.S. men's national team  | Tags: Jozy Altidore, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Didier Drogba out of World Cup? Ferdinand in doubt
Next: Saturday kickaround

Comments

OT:

Meanwhile, here's what's up with the Freedom.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 4, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joe_hill | June 4, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I think that Onion article is about 12 years behind the times.

Posted by: BooThisMan | June 4, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Wow Chinese goal off crazy free kick. Ball looked like it took a deflection from it's movement yet it didn't touch anyone in the wall... Jabulani is wicked!

Posted by: DadRyan | June 4, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

undisclosed teammate = Ricardo Clark or Bornstein

Posted by: bentley7 | June 4, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Tenorio just tweeted that Cary talley will miss this Saturday's match with a

wait for it...

Concussion, suffered in training.

It's really gone all pear shaped for United...

Posted by: JkR- | June 4, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Wang Chang!

You want to remember that name.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | June 4, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Bradley is playing possum for the English. Jozy is fine.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 4, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Wang Chang?

And take your baby by the heel
and do the next thing that you feel.
We were so
craze.
When I
you
and everyone we knew
could believe
Do
and share in what was true.
Oh I said:
Dance hall days
Love.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 4, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Reports are that Ferdinand is out of the WC.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 4, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Oh, no.... without Talley are defense is going to be porous and weak. Oh, wait, no difference.

I would rather see a younger, more athletic player playing next to Pena anyhow. Pena and Talley are Slow and Slower.

Posted by: Wyrm1 | June 4, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

think that Onion article is about 12 years behind the times.

Posted by: BooThisMan
----------------------
I don't know. I just had an hour long beer-fueled heated lunch discussion with a colleague who ranted on that "Americans" don't like soccer. While the rest of our colleages were not quite the inebriated myopic neanderthals that this guy was, they weren't exactly taking issue with him either.

Posted by: troy6 | June 4, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

FourFourTwo gets it right: "France have lost 1-0 to China in their final World Cup warm-up match. Merde..."

Might be time to revise those picks once again. I just have a hard time believing with the talent that France possesses they cannot come in over SA or Uruguay.

Posted by: nairbsod | June 4, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

As much as I am surprised to say it, I think we will be OK with James in the defense.

How far away is Jakovic from returning? Why has there been zero news about Namoff?

Posted by: fedssocr | June 4, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

@fed: my birdie informs me that Namoff's career is over.

Posted by: nairbsod | June 4, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Is Undisclosed Teammate how you pronounce Steve Cherundolo in Afrikaanz? The Studio 90 Video on US Soccer "accidentally" shows the tackle....ironically enough you even see Jozy on the sideline getting treatment as well. Ooops!

Posted by: robgoff3 | June 4, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Wanted to thank everyone who responded to my question about soccer leagues in the previous thread. I read them all, just didn't reply because I actually had to do work while at work: What a concept.

Start Buddle and Findley. My heart wants to go with Torres and Bradley but I will be fine with Edu Bradley.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 4, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

@OWNTF: "Have fun tonight."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 4, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

@fed: my birdie informs me that Namoff's career is over.

Posted by: nairbsod | June 4, 2010 2:55 PM

:-(

Posted by: Kev29 | June 4, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

how many of ya'll feel like this guy at your work

Posted by: joe_hill | June 4, 2010 1:01 PM

I can't get the article at work (blocked site) but that's probably what people are thinking about me :) I'm surprised the people around me are still using the smile nod method and haven't started telling me off yet! :D

Posted by: rachel751 | June 4, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm lucky enough to work in a warehouse with a couple of guys that played in high school and a Mexican immigrant, so I don't have that problem.

Don't worry guys, we in the next generation are the groundswell you've been waiting for.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 4, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Highlights of China-France: http://goaltube.org/video/viewvideo/242/friendly/france-vs-china.html

That ball swerved in a wild way. This gives the less-skilled teams (e.g., us) a real chance.

Posted by: glfrazier | June 4, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish
=================

It's about frickin' time you showed up. Now I can stop answering the Freddy Adu question.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 4, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

glfrazier is right. Very strange ball flight.

Posted by: ComoPark | June 4, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

After watching that clip, I immediately thought of that wicked shot Torres had against Holland. We should have him on the field against England whipping those in with this ball. There are going to be a lot of goals scored from outside the 18 in this cup.

Posted by: joe_hill | June 4, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

France will advance...they always find a way or get a hand :-)

Is it too late to take up Ireland's offer of being an alternate team? Maybe France and Ireland could play a sort of tag team type style in the WC.

Posted by: Southeasterner | June 4, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Its not hugely entertaining, but theyve dropped Beckham, Snoop Dogg, Daft Punk and others into the cantina scene from the original Star Wars

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 4, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Wow, that Chinese player didn't even hit it with the outside of his foot, but it curved like it did. That's a crazy ball.

And why was that France goal disallowed? Offside (I only understood about 40%-50% of what those guys were saying at best)? I'm not a ref, but you can be offside if you're behind the keeper even if there's a defender standing inside the goal? Or was there some other infraction called?

Posted by: mercurysnake77 | June 4, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Offside has nothing to do with the keeper. Just two defenders, and usually the keeper is one of them. In this case however, the goalie had left the line, and so the attacker was behind the goalie and in front of the one defender on the goaline, meaning he was not still in front of two defenders, and offside. Had two defenders been on the posts still, the goal would have stood.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 4, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse