LIVE Chat - USA vs. England World Cup

The U.S. and England have kicked off in the pivotal World Cup match-up that has been analyzed and picked apart since the groups were announced months ago.

If you're watching at home or even on your iPhone out in Dupont Circle I hope you'll join us here on the blog for a live chat of the game.

By Paul Tenorio  |  June 12, 2010; 2:15 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchnight: USA vs. England World Cup
Next: USA World Cup rewind

Comments

I hate England...I mean Dingland!!!

USA!!! USA!!! USA!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 12, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Even Gandhi hates Dingland!!!

USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 12, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

This is the last time I comment in a few hours, the rapture is coming.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 12, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

from Grant Wahl's twitter - England's line-up is: England lineup: Green; Johnson King Terry A Cole; Lennon, Gerrard, Lampard Milner; Heskey Rooney

No RoboCrouch!

Posted by: diego_r | June 12, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

from Gogger's twitter - USA: Howard; Cherundolo, Onyewu, DeMerit, Bocanegra; Donovan, Bradley, Clark, Dempsey; Altidore, Findley

Altidore, Findley, Clark and Gooch get the start

Posted by: diego_r | June 12, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Vamos usa!!!!!

Posted by: juanma_carr | June 12, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I think USA goes to win against England.
Watch this match live here in :

Posted by: deepti9484 | June 12, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

TwitGrids has a very nice World Cup Twitter grid! http://www.twitgrids.com/trends/world-cup.html

Posted by: a278363 | June 12, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Come On The Colonials get stuck right in tae them give it to them tight .

Posted by: Jaggybunnet | June 12, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

England are a bunch of dirty niglets!!

Posted by: gerrypike | June 12, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

If you are not at the game, feel free to stream it live from Best3Blog.com

Posted by: vkbeall | June 12, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

It's a good thing that the English goalie plays in Europe. If he played in South America, he'd have a real hard time buying life insurance.

Posted by: randysbailin | June 12, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

US as always lowers the level of play in order to stay competitive. It's true, and it works. England lack cohesion. Can't rise above the volleyball type play.

Posted by: sugarstreet | June 12, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

I tried to give soccer another chance, in the past I strayed away from the fear of being bored to death. The usa - england match only reinforced my fears. 94 minutes of my life now evaporated forever.

Posted by: yarbrougharts | June 12, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 12, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Soccer is to summer what curling is to winter. Its an acquired taste. If you were near dupont circle today, you know a lot of folks have acquired it

Posted by: pvogel88 | June 12, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

...I'm not sure I want to see clark in the next game. Let's go with torres. even edu. clark got torched on the first goal. and we need a creative engine. we have no claudio reyna type in the middle.

Findley did stretch them, but not sure he should start next match either. but, in my mind the clark sub is more important.

Howard and Cherundolo played excellently.

Posted by: wordup1 | June 12, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

England loses 1:1

Posted by: jack35 | June 12, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I guess there won't always be an England. Heh.

Posted by: klimi | June 12, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

www.drudgereport.com

Read Matt Drudge's headline and laugh :)

Posted by: targetmedia | June 12, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

i'm just wondering.... if bob bradley had been forced to sub off his left sided midfielder after 30 minutes because he couldn't hang with england's right back and had already picked up a yellow card, then had to sub off a a central defender (who was picked despite a career of chronic leg injuries) at halftime, and had vacillated for months on who would be the #1 goalkeeper, only to have his eventual selection give up a 1-0 lead on a ridiculous error.... we would be calling for his immediate firing, right? just checking.

on a totally unrelated note, that fabio capello is a GENIUS.

Posted by: stairs | June 12, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

I've never seen a game so badly televised. Way, Way, Way too many reruns while the game was going on. Way,Way, Way to many cutaways for pics of the coaches, and players who were involved in action that occurred many seconds ago. Can't the director just let the cameras cover what's happening at the moment ON the field, not showing us what's already happened, over and over.
BTW - I've never heard Martin do such a mediocre job, and Harksie wasn't much better.
freddie b

Posted by: kaynfred53 | June 12, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

kaynfredb - Totally agree on the game feed- announcers were subdued; no real technical breakdown of the run of play; just blah...

Now for the match. Excellent choices by B Bradley in fielding the squad. I think Capello was a bit spooked by having the speed up top right away.

Oneywu looked rusty in the first half and, personally, I thought was at fault in not making a timely challenge on the play that resulted in the Gerrard goal--second half and late in the game he came on strong. And it was definitely the right move to keep him in.

Posted by: jnel | June 12, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Jacob, where did you end up? I drove by Fado at 1:15 and it was insane, so I drove around and found Gordon Biersch.

Posted by: Reignking | June 12, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

I like the result, not the way Bob handled the second half. You know Findley isn't doing much, you know Clark is invisible, you know Torres can do the job, and you know that Donovan and Dempsey are Tired. Buddle was too little, too late."

Agreed. Findley, who has speed but no finishing skills, was spent. When he can't give you pace, he can't give you much of anything. The US is outclassed against teams like England, and you have to use every weapon in your arsenal, including creative subbing, to beat them. I would have liked to see Gomez, too. He has creativity in the midfield, and Bradley wasn't get much of anything done. That said, a draw is a good result.

Posted by: SammyT1 | June 12, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

I agree the TV directing was terrible. They are trying to appeal to "regular" sports fans for some unknown reason.

Clark should never play again. He shouldn't have played in this game.

If Bradley had a killer instinct he would have put Buddle out there sooner. England's backline were on yellow cards and running away from Altidore. As soon as you saw Findley get bowled over with that shoulder charge you knew we needed somebody big and strong out there.

Both coaches choked.

Posted by: fedssocr | June 12, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

What is wrong with Bob Bradley? I've been a Ricardo Clark fan ever since he stomped on El Pescadito, but even I know that Edu is the better option for defensive center mid. All of his passes in this game have been back to the D, none forward (shakey nerves?). He and Michael Bradley in the middle of the pitch have been scary at tracking & staying goal side on their marks.
Capello replaces Milner w/ Philips for speed to push Cherundolo back & take a yellow card off the field when Fabio sees things aren't working. Tactically the US center mid wasn't maintaining possession, but no subtitution. No subs until the last 15 minutes, which isn't much opportunity to make a difference. His first change was Buddle (target) for Findley (pace) to pair with Altidore (target), that's just redundant.
I've been a US soccer fan, since I saw Caliguri score off a throw in Trinidad. I know we've had worse (sampson). I also know we have a better starting lineup & can react with better substitutions.
Let's enjoy the score, it centainly feels like a win & is something to be proud of. To progress to the 2nd round, the rest of the results are going to have win wins.

Posted by: ShutUpSven | June 12, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

@fedssocr,

True but Capello choked worse. And he gets paid 18 times as much.

And I just have to post this from the live chat:

[Comment From PowerBoater69]
The United States needs to get an early lead to have a chance for a win or tie.

Posted by: benonthehill | June 12, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm all over a point out of that game, especially how we got it.

RK, we decided on The Brewhouse Cafe in Little Five Points. We got there around 10:30, and it was pretty much standing only then. Full bar, side room, covered patio, outdoor patios and tent in the parking lot by game te. Maybe 700 or so. Physically hard, emotionally worth it.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 12, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Insider Loyalist bracket challenge: I'm sitting well with 7 points (first place is at 9).

DR and Poop are wa-a-a-a-ay down at the bottom. hee hee hee!

Posted by: troy6 | June 12, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

The game was there for the taking, the boys have to believe that they can beat anyone - they've proven it with last year's defeat of Spain in the ConFed Cup - without being reckless, to be able to make good on games like today's, and it starts with the coach. We had their center backs for pace, in the second half, and did not make the most of it.
Bob's a good guy, but I much prefer Bruce A.

Posted by: ebundagen1 | June 12, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Oooops totally forgot I signed up for that. Darn you short-term memory loss.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | June 12, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm, the Fantasy thingy has gone all pear shaped. I haven't missed a game, got 2 predictions correct, on 12 points, and I'm at the bottom...?

Posted by: JkR- | June 12, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Milner = abused

Carragher = abused

Keeper = the Bill Buckner of soccer

Posted by: OWNTF | June 12, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Jacob, no way I could've convinced anyone on that!

Posted by: Reignking | June 12, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

A well earned and fought for point against a top side. In fact I would not have been surprised if we had won. Nice start BB and team, keep it up and go for the win in the next two games and hopefully we can win the group.

BB had a plan and with some luck got the result. There's still a lot of hate out there but that's just the nature of the beast. Our guys put in a solid effort tonight, there were some mistakes but you get those against a side this good. I am just happy that that American never back down, never say die attitude saw us challenge and walk away with the point.

2010 - USA! Believe!!

Posted by: Kosh2 | June 12, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

OK USA - We'll take the point. Don't take next two opponents lightly and we can get through to second round. All in all, not a bad result, even taking the keepers error into account. Watched match at Lakeside Inn, Reston. Good crowd with ample UK representation.

Posted by: tfshea | June 12, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

I agree with the poster above about the TV coverage. It was BEYOND horrible. How many times did we miss action because of replays or shots of Capello's gigantic cranium?

Also, Chris Fowler is a joke. He pretty much shat on the US before the match (lots of comments about how superior England was to our side). ABC/ESPN should be ashamed. Oh, screw Stevie Mac...I guess we found something he's worse at than his actual playing days (commentary).

Posted by: Hoost | June 12, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

the doosh bag english were supposed to beat us no?
LOL>

Posted by: DadRyan | June 12, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Has Shaka Hislop figured out the offside rule yet? I'm still wondering how he could not know it in the South Africa match, and worse yet, no one in the studio could correct him.

Posted by: Reignking | June 12, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 12, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

The Special One returns. Be Champions

Posted by: Reignking | June 12, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

So, Hoost, you think Steve Mcmanaman was a lousy footballer? Check out his awards, among them "Best of the Decade," etc. Pele, among others, would disagree with you. So would I. He put in the finest midfield performance I've ever seen in a match I remember watching some years ago. Couldn't be stopped or even contained.

Posted by: b18bolo | June 12, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

It was more England's standard World Cup failure than that the US played so well. With the exception of Tim Howard there wasn't much quality in the US team. US Defense is a swiss cheese and the inabililty of the Poms to play with freedom broke them up. Green's gaffe shouldn't have to mattered, but Rooney was ineffective. If the English can get rid of there arrogant entitlement sentiment they may one day do better.

Posted by: jackclumpkens1 | June 12, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse