LIVE Chat - World Cup USA vs. Slovenia

This morning's match is a crucial game that could determine whether the U.S. continues forward in this World Cup -- a loss would put the Americans in a bind while a win would put them in prime position to advance.

The Slovenians are confident, they've made guarantees for a win. The U.S. says talk is cheap. And unlike the group opener against England, you can expect the U.S. to push forward more (the insertion of midfielder Jose Torres into the lineup is a good indication of the change in tactics).

Here is the U.S. starting lineup courtesy of Sr. Goff:

Goalkeeper: Tim Howard.

Defenders: Steve Cherundolo, Oguchi Onyewu, Jay DeMerit, Carlos Bocanegra.

Midfielders: Landon Donovan, Michael Bradley, Jose Torres, Clint Dempsey.

Forwards: Robbie Findley, Jozy Altidore.

Join us for a live chat beginning about 15 minutes before kickoff.

By Paul Tenorio  |  June 18, 2010; 9:52 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: World Cup 2010: Serbia vs. Germany
Next: USA vs. Slovenia: Americans rally for 2-2 tie

Comments

Why can't we do this every match? And I'll be...um...going to a meeting at 10 am, so I won't be around.

Posted by: Reignking | June 18, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

It's important that everyone be properly prepared for today's game.

I'm brushing the Raisin Bran out of my teeth and opening up a Miller High Life.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | June 18, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

I love that clip of Dempsey making Gerrard his b**ch.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 18, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Min.13 and Slovenia 1 - USA 0
American Goal Keeper made mistake.

Posted by: halozcel1 | June 18, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Min.13 and Slovenia 1 - USA 0
American Goal Keeper made mistake.

Posted by: halozcel1 | June 18, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

It's simple. We need a goal. Anyone?

Posted by: delantero | June 18, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, Jozy, nice. Let's get one on this set piece.

Posted by: delantero | June 18, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

2-0
USA is done

Posted by: RichinVA | June 18, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Min.41 and Slovenia 2 - USA 0

U.S. soccer team is not playing well

Posted by: halozcel1 | June 18, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

The U.S. will get to watch the next round on TV from their own living rooms.

Posted by: randysbailin | June 18, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

The US has no one who is a pure scorer like many of the elite teams. Dempsey is decent but is not a lethal scorer. They may not qualify from this group. Slovenia and England will qualify.

Posted by: jabreal00 | June 18, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Finally...can we go back to talking about the Redskins now?

Posted by: yawn | June 18, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

So did Bob Bradley prepare only for England? Ugh...

Posted by: RedDevil1 | June 18, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Damn that Miller High Life!

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | June 18, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

The US is a second rate soccer power-time to lose and get out of the way of the real soccer nations.

Posted by: nls77 | June 18, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Worst case scenario? Down 2-0 at half.

Holden for Findley, move Dempsey up top.

Concentrate on getting the first.

Posted by: delantero | June 18, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Well, at least we don't have to worry about Bob Bradley coaching this team next cycle. A team that doesn't let in the first goal every time, please?

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 18, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

This...is...humiliating. Better luck next time, chappies.

Posted by: Factuality | June 18, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Hmm... striker pair with a grand total of two club goals between them this year... I guess... they're due?

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | June 18, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

I bet Algeria defeats the US next week. The coach will be fired as well.

Posted by: nls77 | June 18, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

This is at Coach Bradley's feet. Gooch is not 100%. We knew coming in. He cost US both goals today. Goodson instead please. Buddle was the hot striker entering the tourney and worked well w/ Findley; and he starts Altidore. No chemistry. You have a half to fix the mess you created coach arena. Let's go boys!!!

Posted by: Realness1 | June 18, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Donovan let go of his mark on that first goal. Absolutely inexcusable.

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | June 18, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

egads. everyone besides donovan needs to man the f up. altidore and torres have been horrible. gooch and boca are slow and getting burned. we did not come out to play, they did.

Posted by: PindarPushkin | June 18, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Delantero,

worst case scenario would have been Dempsey picking up a red card at the opening kickoff and Gooch getting called for a PK for pushing Novakovic.

At least we can't blame the bad result so far on the ref.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | June 18, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I think the house cleaning needs to start right after this game.

Posted by: nls77 | June 18, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I have wondered why on earth is Findley playing. Yes he has some speed but he literally does not what to do on the field.

Does anybody have the confidence to shoot inside the 18.

Torres has been a massive bust as has gooch.

We seem to have forwards who can't score and defenders who can defend.

I also have to wonder how well this team is prepared when we constantly seem to give up a goal in the first 15 minutes.

I can see this game ending 3 or 4-0 as the US presses and leave more holes in the back.

Posted by: dcufan531 | June 18, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

why do we choke in must win games. Jozy has done nothing. Findley? WTF? I'd have taken a 50% charlie davies over this drivel.

Donovan. WOW!!

Posted by: torrey151 | June 18, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

1) Soccer needs to end the practice of losing a player for an entire game.
2) Soccer needs to end the offsides rule. I've said that since I played as a kid.

But if Germany can lose to a vastly inferior team while still dominating with only ten players, I think many people in the US see the game as too random with too much to chance. The Argentina game over S Korea brings this fw in the opposite. I saw a S Korea team that just had a few communication errors but otherwise played Argentina to a draw. With a few lucky bounces, however everyone talks about how Argentina dominated. I think to the casual fan it seems very random.

Posted by: NovaMike | June 18, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

that should have been 2. damn!!

Posted by: torrey151 | June 18, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

at least no Findley for the last game. Hopefully we will have something to play for.

Posted by: torrey151 | June 18, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

USA 1 - Slovenia 2
US team is not bad in second half and there is still hope.....lets watch

Posted by: halozcel1 | June 18, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Altidore -- GO STRAIGHT TO GOAL!!!

Posted by: torrey151 | June 18, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

did anyone elses univision stream just cut out?

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 18, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Put Buddle in to win.

Posted by: Realness1 | June 18, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

WHOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO

Posted by: torrey151 | June 18, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Min.81 Super USA 2 - Slovenia 2

Posted by: halozcel1 | June 18, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Nepotism.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | June 18, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Robbed

Posted by: Realness1 | June 18, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

we were robbed!!!

Posted by: torrey151 | June 18, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Sweet Jeebus, how much did Slovenia pay the ref?!?

Posted by: northgs | June 18, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I don't know what to say!! What was the call on the third goal!? Why was it called back? I still don't know and it didn't help I watced the game on mute.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 18, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

HIGHWAY ROBBERY... what a joke..

Posted by: knowledge1 | June 18, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Ties are not gonna cut it.

Posted by: RichinVA | June 18, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Final Score

USA 2 - Slovenia 2

US team has still chance for Second Round.
Keep in mind,top two team in groups will carry on...

Posted by: halozcel1 | June 18, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

It's Bush's fault.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | June 18, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

U.S. had better hope for an England/Algeria tie later today.

Posted by: RichinVA | June 18, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

OK, the world said we're supposed to be excited about this BS. And I tried. I know we're no good at soccer but that's no reason to arrogantly dismiss it. I understood in 1972 (I was 13) when we were screwed out of the Olympic men's basketball gold medal. The dirty Limey official who screwed us said he thought U.S. domination of international basketball was "stifling." But if we're going to get screwed in a sport where we're no good. then wuck the Forld Cup.

Posted by: vrnnwillis75 | June 18, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

What a joke. Ref just cost us an amazing comeback.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 18, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Rand-al-Thor... I prefer to blame BP

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 18, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Slovenian mafia 2, U.S. 2 ....

Posted by: Realness1 | June 18, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

On a good note. The US should go through if we beat Algeria. No way England won't beat Slovenia.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 18, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

anglophone/ghanaian bias by the francophone/malian?

Posted by: PindarPushkin | June 18, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

U.S. had better hope for an England/Algeria tie later today.

Posted by: RichinVA | June 18, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Not necessarily, actually not at all. If England gets three then Slovenia and England are tied at 4 points, 2 points ahead of the USA and they play each other next. No scenario this afternoon dooms the USA.

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | June 18, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

We got hosed. It should have been a victory. Mo came thru two players to hit the ball. That referee reminds me of the Russian last world cup.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | June 18, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

2-2 bloody good game.Well done yanks you were robbed

Posted by: keith0560 | June 18, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Ands the horse it rode in on!

Posted by: vrnnwillis75 | June 18, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Nuke Mali

Posted by: Keith_in_Charlotte | June 18, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I have never been so angry after an incredible performance from my team. We got jobbed and FIFA will roll over like they normally do and this guy will continue to referee WC matches like nothing happened. If only I could let the expletives fly......

Posted by: mjwies11 | June 18, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

David Moyes was on The BBC's Web Commentary of the USA/Slovenia game and said the disallowed goal was an absolutely horrible decision and he saw 2 Slovenian potential fouls that could have resulted in a PK in the same moment.

Posted by: dreyesceron | June 18, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Nuke Mali

Posted by: Keith_in_Charlotte | June 18, 2010 12:03 PM

Good one!

Posted by: Realness1 | June 18, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

as mad as i am about the decision, i just want to focus on the heart that this team showed in the second half. respect.

Posted by: stairs | June 18, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

As much as I appreciate Paul's work on the streaming chat, I'm going to have to stop participating. Half of the entries are "what channel is it on," "where can I watch on-line," "what's the score," and "who's playing." When I'm tense about the game, reading those comments makes me wonder how people, who can use computers, can't find basic information on their own. OK, I'm done venting. Thanks for listening.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 18, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Great refs today. Both games were ruined because of horrible officiating.

Now we must pound Algeria.

Posted by: Hoost | June 18, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Hoost,

2-0 likely gets the USA to the next round. If England wins the next two, then any W gets the USA to the next round.

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | June 18, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

A word of pretty stern advice to all US fans.

Do NOT drink Miller High Life during US World Cup games. My 1st half beverage was benched and I upgraded to The Raven (Baltimore microbrew w Edgar Allen Poe on the bottlecap) and things got much better.

I'm as mystified as anyone by the late disallowed goal but, overall, the US team showed itself more than worthy of being our nation's team.

The ref was overmatched in what must have been a difficult game to call starting w Dempsey's elbow in the opening seconds.

I'm pretty sure that no matter what happens in this afternoon's England-Algeria game the US will at least control it's destiny going into the final Group Stage game next Wednesday.

Vamos, Vamos, Algeria!!!
Esta noooooche,
tenemos que empatar!!!!.......

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | June 18, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

In the end, and despite the idiot referee, this is the kind of exciting match that we can appreciate. I bit off all my finger nails for most of the match and then was elated with the tie.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 18, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

WC SA 2010 results...

WC matches 0
Refs 2

One more match to go, and the refs are up 2-nil. I see the refs going for the hat trick, what do you guys think?

Posted by: Kosh2 | June 18, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Joe Barton would like to apologize to the Mali referee for doubting his esteemed judgement.

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | June 18, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Yeah. The tow center refs today shouldn't be allowed to ref any more matches. I write "shouldn't," but we are likely to see the Mali ref again because refs from nations that advance are disqualified from the knockout rounds - that used to be the rule anyway.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 18, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

munch munch munch
the ref brought his lunch
eat it ref, eat it!

Posted by: rayray18 | June 18, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

As a Brazilian... and a huge soccer fan I was totally enraged with the attitude of the ref... how come he calls it as an off side shot... Does he really know the rules of soccer??? he should be careful.. next world cup will be in Brazil and people there will not tolerate calls like that...FIFA MUST change its rules.. now with all this HD images, there must be someway/somehow a better way to deal with an incident like that.. one "blind" person with no knowledge can not ruin the game....

Posted by: Brazilianfan | June 18, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse