Matchnight: RSL at United

It's a somewhat muggy day in D.C. today, 90 degrees and sticky here at RFK Stadium. It should test the fitness of both teams tonight, though I expect it'll cool off a bit by kickoff.

It's been a soccer-heavy day for most American fans. The U.S. downed Australia, 3-1, in its final friendly this morning on the back of two goals from Edson Buddle. It's a sentence I don't think anyone would've expected to be written two months ago.

United is on a three-game win streak in all competitions and has a chance to really make a push toward building true momentum going into the break with a win tonight against the defending MLS Cup champion.

Real Salt Lake, meanwhile, have won five consecutive games in league play.

These two teams met earlier this week, United won in a U.S. Open qualifier, 2-1. The lineups tonight are sure to be much different, however. We'll see if the Chris Pontius-Andy Najar-Santino Quaranta attack can continue to impress.

I'll get lineups to you about an hour before kickoff. Some interesting lineup choices as Perkins gets the nod over Hamid and Jakovic returns for the first time since April 10.

DCU: Perkins; Wallace, Pena, Jakovic, Graye; Pontius, King, Simms, Najar; Quaranta, Allsopp. Subs: Cristman, Emilio, Castillo, Morsink, James, McTavish, Hamid

Real Salt Lake (6-3-1, 19 pts) at D.C. United (2-8-0, 6 pts.)

Kickoff: 7:30 p.m.
TV/Radio: Comcast Sportsnet/88.7 FM La Nueva

As usual this is your place for pregame, in-game and postgame commentary.

By Paul Tenorio  |  June 5, 2010; 5:56 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA-Australia rewind
Next: Sunday kickaround

Comments

Real Salt Lake (6-3-1, 19 pts) at D.C. United (2-8-0, 6 pts.)

If you went back in time to 2007 and posted this, I wonder how many comments there would be regarding a typo.

Posted by: kdiff813 | June 5, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

WOW!!!! No Moreno?? No Hamid? I guess he did allow 2 soft goals last week, and Perkins played well on Wednesday.... and WELCOME BACK DEJAN!!!!! VAMOS UNITED!!

Posted by: BurchFan4 | June 5, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Any word on why Moreno isn't in the 18?

Minor injury/illness or simply coach's decision ?

Posted by: emanon13 | June 5, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse

I'd been riding the excitement of the 3 game winning streak so much that I forgot that only one of those wins was in the league :-(

I agree, welcome back Jacovic, much better between having to choose between Talley and James for the central defense.

Posted by: Wyrm1 | June 5, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

This is the best lineup we've fielded this season. If we can win this game and carry the momentum into Seattle, we will be remarkably back in the pack.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 5, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Welcome back Jako!
Vamos United!
I've had my US jersey on all day, just like I did last Saturday. All the results swung my then, so why change things tonight.

Save a United jersey for some gloating tomorrow perhaps...;)

Posted by: DadRyan | June 5, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

I haven't even finished a beer and I'm already typing like I'm wasted...

Posted by: DadRyan | June 5, 2010 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Who says you needed a beer to be impaired, DR?

Najar looks feisty. Murrufo looks terrible. Neither is surprising?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 5, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me, cause I'm getting nothing from MLS MatchDay Live. Any one else running into this issue?

Posted by: Kosh2 | June 5, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

MDL is working fine for me in Atlanta (on a PC with firefox)

Posted by: emanon13 | June 5, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Clarification - I am referring to the RSL-DCU game. I cannot get it on MatchDay Live.

Posted by: Kosh2 | June 5, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Ha! We can't all be geniuses Jacob. :)
Wow. Wallace got kicked hard!

Posted by: DadRyan | June 5, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Kosh2 - I'm watching DCU

Posted by: emanon13 | June 5, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

@ emanon13 - I get a message that says "Watch this game live on TV". I'm in Harrisburg, PA. Perhaps this game is blocked for my region?

I just tried it on Firefox and IE and I get the same message.

Posted by: Kosh2 | June 5, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

it might be blocked - Are you able to watch the NY-Chivas match?

Posted by: emanon13 | June 5, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse

nevermind, NY-Chivas isn't available via MDL, but at 8:30 you can try the other matches and see if MDL works

Posted by: emanon13 | June 5, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Yeah. I get Goats vs. Cows on FSC though. Man it sucks if this game is blocked. I really wanted to watch this one. Oh well I'll let the posts be my eyes. I'm relying on you kind faithful to share the love.

VAMOS UNITED!!

Posted by: Kosh2 | June 5, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Dude! Jaime in the crowd singing and beating the drum with the Barra!!! Yeah Baby!

Posted by: DadRyan | June 5, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

I stayed one night in a motel in Mechanicsburg last year. IIRC, CSN north of the Mason-Dixon line is the Phillycentric feed. Thus, I wouldn't expect the DCU-RSL match to be available in Olsen/Gros country.

Pink Cow-Chivas is an FSC affair. That is uniform nationwide (assuming that your cable or satellite system carries FSC in the first place).

Posted by: universityandpark | June 5, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

This game is blocked because MDL wants to replay the boring TFC_KC game and is prining to show PU-Fire. Wow Comcast, thanks for blocking this game for us. I mean it's not like DCU has fans this far out.

FU Comcast!!!

Posted by: Kosh2 | June 5, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm in the same spot with LA-Houston. No Galavision for me, but no MDL live either. DCU and the others working fine though.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 5, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Dave Johnson just mentioned some games earlier in the season "going pear shaped". Someone reads the Insider...

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 5, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

answering my own pregame question

DCU tweet: "Jaime Moreneo is not in the 18 tonight due to a slight injury, but he is still in the game! He's with Barra Brava"

Posted by: emanon13 | June 5, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

You know DJ, Rongen, and my boy Russ Thaler all read SI... Ivan Carter probably doesn't until a commercial break or two before he has Goff on the show...

Posted by: DadRyan | June 5, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Wicked shot by Morales into the Volkswagon Garage!

Posted by: DadRyan | June 5, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

For those who get to see the game, are we at least competing with RSL?

Posted by: Kosh2 | June 5, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

dcs taking it to em. stephen king had two good looks in a row. najar is kiling it. they just dubbed him "the special one" after he drew three defenders outside the box. it seems like just a matter of time before we put one in

Posted by: aubartolomei | June 5, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Najar is a freaking bad @$$! Holy Cow!

Posted by: DadRyan | June 5, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Have they yet shown a shot of Jaime in the stands, along the lines of Gomito banging that drum up in New Joisey several years ago?

Posted by: universityandpark | June 5, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Sweet. Thanks for the update.

Posted by: Kosh2 | June 5, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

For those who get to see the game, are we at least competing with RSL?

Posted by: Kosh2

---------------

More than "competing". We we may not quite be dominating, we have certainly outplayed them thus far in every way (except on the scoreboard).

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | June 5, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

they have showed Moreno a couple of times.

Here is one of the clips: http://www.dcunited.com/video/2010/06/video-moreno-cheers-on-united

Posted by: emanon13 | June 5, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

One of the best games I've seen United play all year? So far.. Winning this one would feel darn good. Need a goal.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 5, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Did you hear Dad, Comcast?

You just blocked some fans from one of United's best games this year. Do you know what we had to struggle through, Comcast? Well do you? Now that the team is getting it right, you deny us the result. This middle-finger salute is for you, Comcast. FU, Comcast!!

Posted by: Kosh2 | June 5, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Seeing Rimando causes me to ask: What is Jacqui up to nowadays?

Posted by: universityandpark | June 5, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Kosh2 that blows, but United could try harder on televising their games locally period. Comcast's hands are tied to some extent.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 5, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

from a quick internet/facebook search Jacqui is doing some coaching (http://tcteams.com/firebirdsfc/coaches.php) and works for AstraZeneca

Posted by: emanon13 | June 5, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

I hear ya, Dad. I hear ya but in the words of Judge Alvin 'J.P' Valkenheiser... "Someone's gotta pay!" - and seeing as there are no fancy bankers around Comcast gets the business.

Posted by: Kosh2 | June 5, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

This game reminds me of that Simpson's bit . . . when soccer comes to Springfield.

Way too much passing among the back four. Is it that hot?

Posted by: delantero | June 5, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Come on DC! Score already!

Posted by: dcurob | June 5, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

How is LA scoring so many goals with their key goal scorers all in South Africa?

And people say MLS teams don't have depth.

Posted by: Southeasterner | June 5, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

3 mins of extra time

Posted by: emanon13 | June 5, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

A point is a point. Take it.

Posted by: delantero | June 5, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

We really needed this to be a win. Now we need the Seattle game to be a win even more.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 5, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Point off the reigning champs? I'm fine with that. Looked decent doing it, too.

LA may be the only team with reeeeal depth. Stephens and Bowen are no slouches themselves.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 5, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

What Jacob said.

Posted by: Kosh2 | June 5, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Add Kirovski to LA's depth. He scored the first two. Weaver has Houston's, and Bowen and Alex Cazumba with the most recent ones for the Galaxy.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 5, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

That reminds me...
It's just about time to fire up the Eff Seattle War Wagon....:)
We need some United goal celebrations in Qwest.... I smell a refund coming...;)

Posted by: DadRyan | June 5, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Three points that DCU deserved. Tough tie to swallow considering how well DC played against a solid RSL. Great to have Jakovic back, he instantly improves our defense. Namoff next hopefully? Najar is singlehandedly pushing our attack. Hopefully the goals follow. The nice streak definitely helps boosts confidence. Let's keep it going, still a big mountain to climb.. Vamos United!!

Posted by: dcurob | June 5, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

We outplayed the champs and are clearly moving in the right direction. Najar is indeed the Special One. Even when triple-teamed he made things happen. I said it Wednesday, and I will say it again tonight: sign this young man to a multiple-year contract before Marathon or a Mexican team snags him. In the words of Forrest Gump, the Simms King tandem in central midfield goes together like peas and carrots. This is an exciting time to be a United (and NATS) fan!

Posted by: dcarmy | June 5, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

It seems like scoring on LA just ticks them off and makes them put the hurt on you.

Posted by: Kosh2 | June 5, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kosh2 | June 5, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Did Houston really score that goal or was it an own goal by LA? It seems kind of hard to tell from the highlights, either way it was a pretty fluke goal...I guess thats what it takes against LA this year.

Posted by: Southeasterner | June 5, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: emanon13 | June 5, 2010 9:14 PM
__________________________________________

Thanks for the info. People are aware of the role that Olsen played in their lives, aren't they?

Posted by: universityandpark | June 5, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Did I miss an update on Wallace?

Posted by: Curious99 | June 5, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Thoughts on the game...

Good & Bad Decisions by Onalfo -

Good Decision - Starting Troy in goal; he was comfortable in the box and made the right strategic plays all night long

Bad Decision - Waiting until the 80th minute to bring on Christman - We lost two good chances between 70-80 minutes in b/c Allsop had no gas; on a night like tonight, Onalfo has got to bring in Christman earlier than that - injury concerns notwithstanding

RSL - What an absolute disciplined, boring team...that is how you win the cup; & why I prefer winning the Shield

James & Graye - Excellent nights as a sub & changing roles respectively - Let's hope the defenders are beginning to get it together

Tino - Out of synch ALL night long

King (I think) - What is a right footed player doing taking a left footed shot at an open f...net

Najar - Wow--his ability to stop and change directions is scary; too bad we don't have a playmaker who can set him up...we were wasting his skills by asking him to bring it through midfield when we needed him to be taking the ball in near the box

And, last but not least, a point is a point and for this season I'll take it.

Posted by: jnel | June 5, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Thoughts on the game...

Good & Bad Decisions by Onalfo -

Tino - Out of synch ALL night long

And, last but not least, a point is a point and for this season I'll take it.

Posted by: jnel | June 5, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Did I miss an update on Wallace?
Posted by: Curious99
==================

he has a bone bruise and will have an x-ray to determine any further damage.

Posted by: emanon13 | June 5, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Vamos United.

Posted by: Ivanovich84 | June 5, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to harp on the Houston goal but if you watch the highlight I believe Ricketts got the assist on himself? It appears he also completed a dragon style kung-fu kick.

Posted by: Southeasterner | June 5, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

just back from the game. Jaime also joined the brava to beat the drum in the concourse at halftime. he is one class act.

this was my last game for a couple years, since I'm about to move overseas. thanks screaming eagles for the constant welcome. I go to almost every game, but buy game day tickets so I'm always around different people. and thanks to the ticket mistress for always hooking me up with good seats!

see y'all in 2012!

Posted by: troy6 | June 5, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

VAMOS UNITED!

Nil nil...I'll take a point . 4 games unbeaten.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 5, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse

bone bruise is better than sprained ankle.

I pretty much agree with jnel. Tino was loafing around out there most of the game.

After our great first 15 minutes or so we slowed down a good bit. But still had the better of the play.

I think Najar was not as good tonight. His first touch was a bit off. And now he seems to think he can and should juke 3 players every time he gets the ball. He stays pretty well glued to the touchline which helps him stay open but then his is a little isolated from everyone else.

We missed a couple of wide open shots. It seemed like guys were trying to break the goal instead of place the shot. At least make Nick work a little bit!

Towards the end of the game we backed off too much and gave them too much time and space with the ball.

This needed to be a win. We've already played half of our home games. And we're not good on the road. That's two points we desperately needed.

Posted by: fedssocr | June 5, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

VAMOS UNITED!

Nil nil...I'll take a point . 4 games unbeaten.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 5, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Hey Dad
I HATE the Seattle Flounder's!!!

Seattle smells like old fish. Drew Carry smells like a big smelly flounder.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 5, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Jnel: to be fair, onalfo was torched on this here weblog for blowing all his subs in a friendly, leaving none for an injury. So it's a case of damned if you do, I guess. I might had gambled and put in Cristman at 75', but that leaves you very vulnerable to a potent offense if you get a ding at say 80'. The injury to Wallace really changed the match.

And DCArmy, Najar is GenAd, so he's under a three year deal now. Figure he graduates and signs a four year deal this fall for triple the money. Also figure the bidding starts winter 2011-12. If he's still here at the end of 2012, he either regressed or wants to get a passport. I'd be leas concerned with Mexico than Spain, Portugal, Holland or France. He plays like this for the rest of the year, he's gotta be worth two-three million on his 18th birthday minimum let's face it, we're a selling club in a selling league, and he's the asset with the most upside we've got right now.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | June 5, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Seattle DESTROYING New England right now.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 5, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: universityandpark | June 5, 2010 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Freedom leading Old Pride after 68 minutes on an Allie Long goal.

Posted by: universityandpark | June 5, 2010 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Nil-nil v RSL & Kyle "Overrated" Beckerman, I'll take it.

DCU ain't gonna win anything this year, but at least now they are playing with some fight, some pace, and some flair (Najar).

Posted by: Ron16 | June 5, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Cristman was set to come on at 60'

He was standing at the center line ready to step on when Pena tweaked something and had to come off then. At about the same time Pontius was nursing his leg, so I am sure that the staff looked at that and decided not to push their luck with it.

Thank goodness for real defensive depth now. Mctavish and James off the bench... as the 7th and 8th defensemen (assuming you want to include a Namoff and Burch in the top 6, not saying you or I do)

Posted by: Shiipon | June 5, 2010 11:54 PM | Report abuse

I hope Moreno has something left in the tank.
It was cool as heck watching him beat the drum and seeing him on the TV tonight. Made me sad I wasn't at the game.

After all of it I flashed back to watching that (RSL??) game at Molly Malone's last season with Jaime in attendance because of his Red Card suspension. He didn't travel with the team and came and hung out for one of the first viewing parties at Molly's eh? United's first visit to the new digs in Nevada?

All the poetry makes me wonder about Jaime's future. Couldn't he retire during the World Cup and open up another roster slot for United in the transfer window?

Posted by: DadRyan | June 6, 2010 12:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: universityandpark | June 6, 2010 1:26 AM | Report abuse

All this talk about this game being a positive is disengenuous, feel-good garbage spewed by a technical staff neck deep in denial about this terrible team.

DCU getting a positive from a 0-0 draw at home? Please. Unless Kasper and his band of lemmings are tanking the season, DCU needs 3 points at home.

Stop kidding yourselves: their situation is dire, and beating a Euro team on vacation and getting into the Open Cup on a shaky non-call in a game played by second-stringers are not things to be patting yourselves on the back about.

Posted by: mightymax | June 6, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Who peed in your cornflakes?

Posted by: JkR- | June 6, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

What kind of fans pat themselves on the back for a club's accomplishments anyway mightymax? I mean aside from the attendance champs out in Seattle? LOL.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 6, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

may be too late for many to see this, but for those talking about signing Najar long-term, this is from that Soccernet article last week on the MLS academies:

"Najar dropped out of Edison in the spring of 2010 (D.C. has since taken charge of his education) and signed a guaranteed contract with United on March 22 worth at least $40,000 annually through 2011 and climbing up to at least $50,000 per year if club options are picked up through 2014."

So, it looks like DCU controls him for the next 4 years at least. But he's already worth much more than $50K per year, so I guess we'll see what sort of re-negotiations get done or if a overseas team comes calling with a large transfer offer.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | June 6, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Dad; I was referring to the technical staff spinmeisters, not the fans, who are claiming positives from last night.

Posted by: mightymax | June 6, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Sat through this yawner at RFK.
Where is our playmaker-center-mid? We have no attack or plan in the middle. It is all crosses, completely predictable.But Yakovic and James made the center of our back line quite formidible. There remains a huge gap in the middle of our half line, although Simms is everywhere at defensive mid.
King missed two clear sitters.
A tie at home is NOT a positive result.
With a number 10 we might make the playoffs. Without one, soyanara baby.

Posted by: lemovs1 | June 6, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Sat through this yawner at RFK.
Yakovic and James do make the center of our back line quite formidible. There remains a huge gap in the middle of our half line, although Simms is everywhere at defensive mid.
And a tie at home is NOT a positive result.
With a number 10 we might be a good team.Without one, soyanara baby.

Posted by: lemovs1 | June 6, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Let's be honest, a point is a point and NOT a loss. Questions for the coach.
1.) Why do we keep wasting a sub for Pena, who apparently cannot go the full 90?
2.) Why do we keep letting Tino take the free kicks? He is horrible at them.
3.)King is a good asset, but obviously not a finisher.
4.)I like the back line of this game. Graye,Jacko,McT and James. They and Troy gave us our FIRST shutout !! Keep this group together!!

Posted by: patrick18 | June 7, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse