Matchnight: D.C. United-Real Salt Lake

Greetings from balmy RFK stadium for tonight's U.S. Open Cup play-in game. This is Katie Carrera making a cameo appearance along the banks of the Anacostia with Goff in South Africa and Paul Tenorio covering Virginia region semifinal matches.

While a berth in the U.S. Open Cup is up for grabs, the match features an interesting dynamic as United, which participated in the tournament the past two seasons, try to maintain some momentum from their first two-game winning streak of the season without showing too much to Real Salt Lake. The teams meet again on Saturday for a MLS match as United tries to make up ground in the standings.

It will certainly be an opportunity for some of United's younger players to make their mark. I'm interested to see how United responds to the defending MLS Cup Champion Real Salt Lake, which is on a five-match winning streak and as hot as a team can get heading into these two games at RFK. D.C. played Real Salt Lake to a 0-0 draw in their last meeting on May 23, 2009.

Don't forget, United will be without Coach Curt Onalfo in tonight's play-in match because he was ejected from the previous U.S. Open Cup contest, United's 4-2 win over FC Dallas on April 28. Assistant Coach Kris Kelderman will take over.

In other news, the Washington Freedom signed goalkeeper Ashlyn Harris, who previously played on the now-defunct St. Louis Athletica, and waived Mary Casey. The Freedom also placed Lisa De Vanna on injured reserve after she broke her leg during the 2010 Asian Cup while playing for the Australian National Team.

Kickoff: 7:30 p.m.

TV: Streamed live at dcunited.com and realsaltlake.com

DCU: Perkins; Graye, Rice, James, McTavish; Castillo, King, Morsink, Khumalo; Emilio, Moreno. Subs: Quaranta, Cristman, Pontius, Simms, Najar, Pena, Hamid.

As usual, this is your place for pregame, in-game and postgame commentary.

By washingtonpost.com Sports Editor  |  June 2, 2010; 6:57 PM ET
Categories:  U.S. Open Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: World Cup news & notes, Brazil video
Next: While Johannesburg sleeps .....

Comments

VAMOS UNITED!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 2, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

#1 Win tonight!
#2 Win the US Open Cup!!
#3 Win the CONCACAF Champians League!!!
#4 Win the World Club Cup (Finally a match against AC Milan that I give a rats ARSEnal about)!!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 2, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Hello? Is anybody out there? Am I all alone? Is the Internet obsolete and nobody bothered to tell me?

Am the only Insider not at the match? Even Atlantish?

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 2, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

there are at least two of us on the web tonight . . . I'm not Jacob, but I am in Atlanta and will be watching the game from DCU's website

Posted by: emanon13 | June 2, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm here too. Cannot get a live stream, silverlight is not supported on my old mac. Hope you guys can give me some good updates. I too am in the south go Asheville NC
Vamos United.

Posted by: evanskr521 | June 2, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Asheville REPRESENT! I'm on the west side.

Posted by: asocrlovr | June 2, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Red Bull just went up over Houston. 1-0

Posted by: evanskr521 | June 2, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

North side here is that you Tommy?

Posted by: evanskr521 | June 2, 2010 7:58 PM | Report abuse

No...you mean Forrester?

Posted by: asocrlovr | June 2, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

RSL with a good opportunity, better block by Perkins.

Posted by: asocrlovr | June 2, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Here late to the party, out to eat.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 2, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

No but there must be more DCU fans here than I thought. We should link up to watch some games or for a road trip. Email me if you are interested. My handle then at yahoo.

Posted by: evanskr521 | June 2, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Ohhhh Boyzz!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 2, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Going crazy with no feed. Khumalo playing well and Perkins making big saves. I hear that Morsink is playing well too!! Glad to read it anyway.

Posted by: evanskr521 | June 2, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

half time 0-0

Posted by: emanon13 | June 2, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

I’m confused, is this game in SLC or DC? Looking at how lethargic the DC players are I would have assumed they were suffering from the altitude but looking at the camera its clearly RFK stadium.

Can we get these guys some coffee at half time?

Posted by: Southeasterner | June 2, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Khumalo with coffee thats a interesting idea ;)

Posted by: evanskr521 | June 2, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Is this game on TV?

OT: I am watching RBNY take Houston to task but only up by 1. Classic case of where Houston comes back to haunt them later.

Posted by: Kosh2 | June 2, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Pretty good-lucking 1st half just ended 0-0.

The video on the feed from DC United's website is pretty good but I'm not getting any audio. Both teams are moving the ball around pretty well, more so than you'd likely see against the likes of an Ocean City or Harrisburg in the Open Cup. Part of that may be that these teams aren't exerting too much energy to pressure the ball thru midfield when some of the players are likely to face each other again Saturday.

Couple of good chances from Emilio and one from Khumalo. Perkins has been kept pretty busy and has made some good saves, too. Ned Grabavoy could have an excellent career as the central midfielder who controls the pace of the game if MLS would just reinstate the Reserve League.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | June 2, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

===========

And the Post's younger reporters. You go Katie Carrera.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 2, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

All of our defenders are playing well. I would be comfortable with Rice and James in the middle on Saturday, too.

Posted by: dcarmy | June 2, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Kosh2 - no tv, but it is streaming on dc's website

Joel - I'm getting audio, but had to move the slider for the volume on the video all the way to the right and have my own computer volume pretty high as well

Posted by: emanon13 | June 2, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Gracias Katie Carrera. The Post's pool of soccer-associated reporters grows. Soccer is infiltrating the old media and will take over by 2014.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 2, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Joel, look down at the far right corner of your screen for the audio icon.

Posted by: dcarmy | June 2, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Crap. I hope Gray doesn't get a concussion from that collision.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 2, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Maybe he does have a concussion and delusions of being Ashley Cole or Roberto Carlos. THat was an awful giveaway.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 2, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Tino & Pontius in, Castillo & Moreno out

Posted by: emanon13 | June 2, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Or at the very least he'll pick up a Brazillian accent.

Ching equalizes with a wonderful chest, trap, finish. Too bad he was offside, even more bad the linesman and ref allowed the goal.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 2, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Penalty for United! Good save by whoever RSL's goalie is, Pontius attempts to bicycle, but there's a handball.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 2, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

that was an interesting attempt at a bicycle kick ... but I'll take the PK

Posted by: emanon13 | June 2, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Emilio, hard, low, and left.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 2, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

LuciGol! OK, LuciPenalGol.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 2, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

and now RSL gets a PK

Posted by: emanon13 | June 2, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

All even. 80 minute

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 2, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

End of Regulation, still 1-1

30 minutes of overtime to come

Posted by: emanon13 | June 2, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Couple of close chances in stoppage time. Going to extra time.

Somebody just came in for Luci. I couldn't tell who. I'd like to see Najar at some point.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 2, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Cristman on for Emilio

Posted by: emanon13 | June 2, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

WOWWWWWW.

Juan Pablo Angel from 35 out on the last kick of the game. Free kick and a BEAUTY. MY GOODNESS.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 2, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

that was a beauty from Angel.

Posted by: evanskr521 | June 2, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Man Angel with a monster free kick to earn NYRB all 3. Truth be told, they so deserved to win all the points. They dominated Houston.

Posted by: Kosh2 | June 2, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Dude, power went out in my neighborhood around 630. Whole neighborhood's power was out. Finally drove to Taco Bell for dinner and made it home in time to see the lights on and caught the last 5 minutes of regulation...

Posted by: DadRyan | June 2, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Wow, so I missed Cows/Dynamo too.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 2, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

good games you have missed. have not been able to watch the DCU game but the Pink Cows played a good game and got an unfortunate win (not that they didn't earn it). Still no live feed for me so most of my hair has been pulled out due to the DCU game.

Posted by: evanskr521 | June 2, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Dad. The Cows really manhandled Houston tonight - in every category. Sad they suck at finishing cause this bad boy should have been a blow-out.

Posted by: Kosh2 | June 2, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

DR, I never got back to you on the bike thing, I have a shop down in Asheville NC. And I bought my first fixie last week.

Posted by: evanskr521 | June 2, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

ANDY NAJAR!!!!!

Posted by: Kosh2 | June 2, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Najar is on! Some of the best news of the night. As I was typing a goal?

Posted by: evanskr521 | June 2, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Golazo. Cap this guy soon.

Posted by: Palin-McCain2012 | June 2, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Andy Najar is the cat's pajamas

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 2, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Wow, what a goal from Najar! His first touch as a sub!

Posted by: redskinsux | June 2, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

17 y/o? YEAH! His first touch on the ball is to take on two defenders at the corner of the box, split them, and then toe poke the goalie for 2-1!

Wow. Best young player we've had and that is saying a lot . . Adu, Convey, Tino . .

Posted by: delantero | June 2, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Golaaaaaso! Goooolaaaasooo! Gooooolaaaaassoooo!! Andy Najar, Que Golaso - aso, aso, aso, aaaaaso!!!

Posted by: Kosh2 | June 2, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

NO FEED! How did he score it.

Posted by: evanskr521 | June 2, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

I hate 30 minute overtimes. The purpose is to decide a winner. A goal does that. We should be heading to the tunnel right now.

Posted by: delantero | June 2, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Almost a second. Good God!

Posted by: Palin-McCain2012 | June 2, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

I feel like getting into the whole fantasy sports thing just to put Najar in my midfield.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 2, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

He needed to finish that second open chance, but I cannot bring myself to question Najar after that beauty of a goal.

Posted by: Kosh2 | June 2, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Can we learn to slow the match down? We're not England?

BTW - It was Najar who almost had a second goal. This guy is the S--+.

Posted by: Palin-McCain2012 | June 2, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Rice with the SAVE! Com'on guys keep it together here.

Posted by: Kosh2 | June 2, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

evanskr, hope you have a brake on it...:)
If I'm ever in asheville....

Awfully ironic that Palin-McCain is seriously talking about capping a 17 year old highschool drop out who's been in the country how long? Does he even have a firm grasp of English yet?????

Love the kid, but...

Posted by: DadRyan | June 2, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Najar's fresh legs looking strong in the tackle...

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 2, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Najar has also made a bunch of defensive plays to break things up - very mature looking tonight.

Posted by: Palin-McCain2012 | June 2, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

probably no more ironic than me talking about a firm grasp of Engrish and grahahmur... Julius James with a Straight Red...Wow.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 2, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

and now a red card on James the 2nd half & overtime definitely was more interesting than the first 45 minutes

Posted by: emanon13 | June 2, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Who is this amateur posing as a ref? This guy has had some of the strangest calls tonight. Red card on James for that? That was some soft crap.

Well we got the win - 3 on the trot. Nice little streak. Keep it up, boys.

VAMOS UNITED!!

Posted by: Kosh2 | June 2, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

DR thank for the heads up but no going brakeless. If you are going to play, then play!

Posted by: evanskr521 | June 2, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

How's that a straight red with no free kick?

Posted by: Palin-McCain2012 | June 2, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to do my best Louis Crayton impression and dance around my living room screaming for joy...

But seriously a win is a win, and it is now three straight for our guys.

Posted by: rademaar | June 2, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

And another Wednesday night victory.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 2, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Now Columbus and San Jose 1-1 in the 6th. No way I can stay up for that with work in the early morning, but I may end up trying.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 2, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

WOW CBus 1 - SJ 1 all in the first 6 min. Good games tonight. Good games.

Posted by: Kosh2 | June 2, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

I watched the first 90 minutes but then had to run some errands before stores closed. I didn't really catch what led to either penalty on the sound-less video feed and it looks like I missed a great goal by Najar.

Hope some video highlights get posted!

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | June 2, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

ball was already out of play so it was deemed misconduct and not a foul.
that ref was totally weird, to say the least...two pks on ??? handballs and then that red card when we were all yelling at Espindola to stop play-acting. notice how as soon as the card was shown Espindola got up and walked away totally fine?

Posted by: asocrlovr | June 2, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

It's grumpy time tomorrow morning at work, ladies and gents, 'cause Pappy's stayin' up late tonight - the football is just too good to walk away from.

Posted by: Kosh2 | June 2, 2010 10:18 PM | Report abuse

At least we know we're in the much hallowed Open Cup.

Bring on the Punxsutawnry Possums or whoever our next opponent is!!!

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | June 2, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

LOL @ Joel

Posted by: Kosh2 | June 2, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

That's Punxsutawney, dammit!

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | June 2, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm actually an advocate for not using a brake long enough to learn how to stop a fixed gear without one, then putting one on as a last resort. Folks become organ donors dropping chains on bikes that have no back up plan... Especially when they've never given the bike enough respect to learn how to ride the thing.

Vamos United!
Obviously another Winsday!

Posted by: DadRyan | June 2, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Let me be the first to say that Andy Najar has a career ahead of him.

Posted by: rockotodd | June 2, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Two problems with capping Najar: He's still a Honduran citizen and he's really 37 years old. This kid is truly special. We need to sign him to a long term deal or he will be gone! Stephen King has made all the difference in the midfield. He has his head up and makes the agressive, forward pass up the flanks. Graye gets better every game and adds some bite to our attack.

Posted by: dcarmy | June 2, 2010 11:03 PM | Report abuse

that was probably the worst game i have ever seen United play. Aside from Najar's play, that was absolutely the worst game ever. I would have rather have watched paint dry for 2 hours.

Posted by: torrey151 | June 2, 2010 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcarmy | June 2, 2010 11:03 PM

-------------------------------------------------

Nicely played, sir.

-----------------------------------

Posted by: dcarmy | June 2, 2010 11:03 PM

------------------------------------------------------

Couldn't agree more. Najar is pretty special, even if he blew that second chance. To answer evanskr521's question, Najar got the ball on the wing, not long after coming on -- had a man between him and the goal, did some fancy stepover stuff and then blew past his guy and blew the ball past the keeper.

The team has definitely looked better since King started, with 3 wins in 3 games. Not sure that King deserved to earn a penalty shot. I thought the ref was whistling him for a dangerous play with his bicycle attempt.

There were definitely some strange calls -- for me, the worst was the offside on RSL at about the 60-minute mark. The player was deeper than an DCU player except possibly Perkins, but I'm pretty sure the ball came to him when a DCU defender knocked the ball away from another RSL player at the top of the six. As I understand the rule, a player can't be deemed offside if the ball is played to him by a defender. It's bad enough when the refs miss the calls -- at least, they should know the rules.

Also, Jordan Graye is looking better each game. He's a real find. Almost had a goal on a blistering shot. Barry Rice looked awfully good, as well...especially when clearing the ball off the line. Could be another find there.

It was too bad that Luci's volley was blocked. That would have been the best DCU goal since Gallardo's famous strike.

Wish more of you would turn out for these game. They're usually the best games to watch.

Anyway, the Kings of Wednesday night roll on. Undefeated. If only they can start winning on other days...

Posted by: fischy | June 2, 2010 11:29 PM | Report abuse

That definitely was NOT the worst game DC United has ever played. Once they subbed out Moreno and Castillo the team got energized. Morsink - yes, Morsink - was outstanding. It might not have showed on the feed, but I was there and it was real.

Posted by: b18bolo | June 2, 2010 11:30 PM | Report abuse

I don't agree with torrey's remarks, at all. Sure, RSL had the better chances. They're a better team. Even so, DCU played them evenly except for short spells near the end of regulation and overtime. The only players that really disappointed me were Pontius and Khumalo. Actually, just Pontius. I expect Boyzzz to blow the finish, as he did when he came in all alone. Pontius needlessly turned the ball over several times. In the overtime, after he took the ball to the corner in the 26th minute, he stopped running. United might have created a couple of more chances if he wasn't standing around the midfield mark. Actually, there was one time I felt the same about Najar. These guys were subs, and should have had more gas in the tank.

Posted by: fischy | June 2, 2010 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Juan-John | June 2, 2010 11:57 PM | Report abuse

I was at the game tonight and I have to say it was one of the worst games I have EVER seen United play. Both teams played primarily reserves and the quality of play was absolutely horrible.

The people in our area in 307/306 were seriously talking about leaving the game at half time, it was that bad.

We stuck it out till full time, mostly because some of the vendors were giving away produ our interest and we left after regulation.

I have been a season ticket holder for all 14 years but if this is the crap being shown, I refuse to go to another Open Cup game as a "Special Event". If the teams don't think its special why should I. Also why on earth would I pay $30 to watch this dreck.....

Posted by: dcufan531 | June 3, 2010 12:05 AM | Report abuse

just watched the Najar goal from Juan-John's link. What a goal! Anyone know how long his current contract is for? (we better sign a long-term deal quick)

Posted by: diego_r | June 3, 2010 12:16 AM | Report abuse

VAMOS FREEKING UNITED!!! (VFU for short)

From this Edison High grad to...ummm a drop-out, I AM PROUD OF YOU!!!

You can bet your freeking ARSEnal that my freeking ARSEnal will be there to see you take the Golden-freeking-Boot award after scoring a hat-freeking-trick against AC-freeking-Milan in December 2011.

(Hope we don't draw Harrisburg City Islander's)

Ummm spacecakes.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 3, 2010 12:19 AM | Report abuse

"we left after regulation"

We are supposed to applaud you or something? Next you are going to say "I am glad I didn't renew my season tickets"...you left after regulation and missed a thrilling victory. Maybe next time you should stay home. Not all games, no matter who is playing, are things of beauty. If you are a fan of a team you want to watch them win no matter how good it looks. It wasn't like RSL was ripping up the field, both teams were dreadful but guess what DCU WON so some of us are grateful for that.

Posted by: rockotodd | June 3, 2010 12:19 AM | Report abuse

"we left after regulation"

Posted by: rockotodd | June 3, 2010 12:19 AM | Report abuse

I was at the game, and I had a blast.

What's the complaint? DCU didn't create a lot of chances? Have you been watching this team at all this year? They roll out Emilio and Moreno as the starting forward tandem -- who both move at glacial speeds -- of course, they're not going to pen up the field for a lot of shots. Castillo and Khumalo offered the contrasting problem at the wing -- all pace and no danger. Finally, with King and Morsink in the central midfield, there wasn't going to be much creativity, either. Considering the lineup the team put out there, the played pretty well. Khumalo should have given them a first half lead. Perkins was tested frequently and rose to the occasion, though he needed some help with 2 goal-line clearances late in the game.

Tino played his heart out. So did all four of the defenders. Pontius did a lot of running until the last 5 minutes. And Najar served notice that he can play at this level. Not too shabby for someone who didn't have all the hype of Luis Gil. (Come to think of it, where was Gil?).

One of United's worst performances? Hardly. This may not say much, but this was one of their best outings of the year.

Posted by: fischy | June 3, 2010 12:43 AM | Report abuse

Apparently others saw a different side of Morsink than I did - I thought it was among his worst performances of the year, and that's saying something. Anyway, it was a really fun time, great win, glad to have the USOC to fall back on to make up for the season. What a bright spot Najar is! Graye, Cristman, Rice, and Perkins all had solid showings as well. Actually, I thought most of the team performed pretty well most of the night. Vamos United!

Posted by: desenada | June 3, 2010 1:09 AM | Report abuse

that was probably the worst game i have ever seen United play.

Posted by: torrey151 | June 2, 2010 11:18 PM | Report abuse

So that was the first game you have been to in the last 2 years?

I think 3 years ago I would have fully agreed with you, this year I couldn't disagree more.

Posted by: Southeasterner | June 3, 2010 1:41 AM | Report abuse

Fischy -- Are you serious? While I think you are one of the best posters in SI history, I'd like to try whatever drug or booze you had last night while watching that game. That was an absolute awful display of the game. Yes, a few players had some moments, but as a whole that game was mind-numbing. Games like that are why people bash soccer so much in this country.

Posted by: torrey151 | June 3, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

The first half especially was abysmal soccer. Both teams took turns kicking the ball out of bounds. It was dreadful. The second half was a bit better. I'm not sure anyone could have expected much from two reserve sides with little cohesion.

The ref was terrible. I thought both PKs were BS. And I didn't see where the red card came from, but I was pretty far away. I thought the first PK was his way of putting us all out of our misery, until the make up call. Troy got absolutely mauled on one of those late corners that almost led to a goal and we didn't get a call. That was basic referee 101 right there.

If Kelderman and Olsen had been smart enough to put Andy out there earlier we could have all been spared OT. Luci wanted a sub at about 60 minutes and they left him out there to stroll around for another 30. Cristman has barely played lately. Why didn't he start? At least he gives you some hustle.

Posted by: fedssocr | June 3, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

"The road to a World Club Championship Final against AC Milan is paved with the golden brick of a goal scored from the glorous foot of Edison High School drop-out Andy Najar."

Is it just me or does this sound like something a certain former United coach turned GolTV announcer would say??

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | June 3, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

I turned the game on in the second half after moreno had come off, so I cant speak for the first 60 min or so, but the last 30 and OT I felt the team looked decent. We definitly gave away to many chances but the work rate was there to make up for it by the backs with the goal line clearances and a solid night by Perkins. Besides, even if it was not the best looking game, it was a win! And by my math that is the third win in the last week! If we can get a result on Saturday, win or tie, would be preatty sweet no matter how it looks.
Side Note...Najar was great off of the bench. He ran all over the place and did some very timely defending. He was in the right places to do this, which shows he is growing into a very good player and has had some good coaching along the way. I read an article that stated he played his first organized games as a freshman in high school. That is a long trip in a short time, so between his time with the academy staff and his time with Onalfo he has been given some top drawer coaching. Oh...and his goal was really nice.

Posted by: jjfooty | June 3, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Ledo's pizza was good last night.

It didn't rain until overtime and then it only drizzled very lightly.

The experience would have better if someone was on hand to actually sign the national anthem.

There was plenty of elbow room in the stands.

Leaving the stadium was very easy.

Oh, and the ref was every bit as good as the players on the field for the first 105 minutes.

An almost perfect, relaxing evening.

Posted by: Curious99 | June 3, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

@Torres -- I had a few Bass ales. I'm not saying it was pretty soccer. I'm saying the team has been pretty impotent all year. Relatively speaking this was one of DCU's better games. If you're comparing this to EPL or La Liga, then the overall quality of play from both teams was poor...but look at the teams' lineups.

@Curious99 -- It didn't even drizzle on my side of the stadium. Maybe you felt flying beer after Najar's goal? I missed the start of the game, but were there lots of deaf people waiting for someone to sign the anthem? Is it usual to sign the anthem? I've never noticed before.

Seriously though, one thing we can all agree on is the officiating was as bad as ever, if not worse.

Posted by: fischy | June 3, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Know the ref got James w/red card. Then he walked outside the box and showed it again. Who was that lucky recepient? Also, if a foul in the box to warrant a red card why not a PK?

Posted by: VirginiaFan | June 3, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse