Matchnight: Richmond Kickers at United

Welcome from George Mason University in Fairfax, Va., where D.C. United is set to play its first ever game in Northern Virginia, a U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 game. (Testing, testing...is this a litmus for a possible stadium site in the Fairfax area. Sorry, did I say stadium? Zzzzzzzzzzz.)

It's not nearly as hot as it's been in the past few days, thank goodness, though right now the sun is blaring down on the press box. Just a few fans in the stands so far. I'm interested to see what they draw.

This is by no means a rollover game for United. New York and Chicago both were eliminated by teams in lower levels of the professional ranks, and D.C. will look to avoid being eliminated by Richmond for the second time in its history (they were knocked out in 2004).

Some interesting lineup choices today, as you'll see, including Andy Najar starting at right back.

United Starting Lineup: Hamid; McTavish, Rice, Jakovic, Najar (right back); King, Morsink, Boyzzz; Emilio, Moreno (c), Allsopp. Subs: Quaranta, Cristman, Pontius, Simms, Graye, Pena, Perkins

Kickers at United
U.S. Open Cup Round of 16
When: 7:30 p.m.
TV/Radio: Streaming at dcunited.com, 87.7 FM La Nueva (Spanish)

As usual this is your place for pregame, in-game and post game banter.

By Paul Tenorio  |  June 30, 2010; 6:29 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , U.S. Open Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nigerian soccer team suspended after poor World Cup showing
Next: All World Cup, all the time on 'The Daily Show'

Comments

go united! Woulda loved to be out there tonight but so far from Cap Hill...

Posted by: DCB23 | June 30, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

From Grant Wahl on CNN/SI:

""There is talent in the waiting. The likes of big L.A. Galaxy center back Omar Gonzalez and fresh, young attackers like Andy Najar will be Donovan's support cast going forward."

Uh, does he realize Najar is Honduran? Now, I'm not saying he won't eventually suit up for the USA, but let's not assume . .

Posted by: delantero | June 30, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Grant Wahl didn't realize that Andy Najar is a right back. Thank goodness we have Tenorio.

Posted by: hungrypug | June 30, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

the video is stuck for me for some reason...

why would you put your best creative player on defense?? Just bizarre....

Posted by: fedssocr | June 30, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

bush league lazy mofos at DCU. how are you the flagship when you can't get a video feed to work?

Posted by: DadRyan | June 30, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

it's working now. the field looks really narrow from this camera angle...and the grass looks kind long.

Posted by: fedssocr | June 30, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

wow. Moreno misses a wide open chance

Posted by: fedssocr | June 30, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Truly a horrible miss over the crossbar at point blank range. I thought it must be Tino, since he is our specialist in blasting shots over the crossbar, but no.

Posted by: dccal | June 30, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

happy the feed is working.
too bad I might have a better view from an airplane passing by...
LOL
Vamos United!

Posted by: DadRyan | June 30, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

it's a better camera angle now. DC up 2-0 and coasting along in the 74'

Posted by: fedssocr | June 30, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

it's a better camera angle now. DC up 2-0 and coasting along in the 74'

Posted by: fedssocr | June 30, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

You guys, Marta is good. Like REALLY good.

Najar played at right back in most of the preseason and spent plenty of his academy days there.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 30, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

OK, I'm in California for a spell, and I just watched, at my desk, my soccer team win a match 2400 miles away, and I'm thinking to myself, how cool is that?

Our 2010 Wednesday record remains perfect.

See those of you coming to San Jose on Saturday!

Posted by: dccal | June 30, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

I was there at the match. Kudos to the supporters groups for bringing it with gusto. Unfortunately, the layout and sound dynamics meant most of their energy got lost in the rest of the stands (I was right about the center of the field).

When Quaranta came on, we became a much more settled team. I liked King's game and got a reminder on how quickly Jakovic covers ground.

Posted by: JoeW1 | June 30, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

A win is a win. Vamos United!

That said, I was out of town for a few days and just found out about Castillo. Any news on Emilio? Is he going or are we keeping him for 18 more months?

Posted by: Curious99 | June 30, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Well, that was fun. I have no idea how they drew for the US Open Cup games at the Soccerplex, but the stands were pretty full at GMU. It wasn't the prettiest soccer I've ever seen out of DC United (Najar looked kinda shaky at RB, especially in the first half), but it was clear Richmond was simply outclassed. They really only had one or two decent chances, and the backline for DCU held really well. I thought Jakovic played quite well, and I could clearly hear him and Hamid barking orders out there.

They still need to lower the prices for these games, but I have to think they were encouraged by the overall proceedings. Unless I'm mistaken, the next US Open game is at GMU as well. Let's see how they draw for game #2.

Posted by: jburksva | June 30, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

According to the crappy website, DC now moves on to play Harrisburg on July 21 at El Plex. You'd think that they could have a graphic of the bracket at least.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 30, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

We Win Derbys.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | June 30, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

And you know it's a crappy website when I270 posts something that doesn't include a joke!

Posted by: dccal | June 30, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

@I-270Exit1 You mean something like this

Posted by: emanon13 | June 30, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Here's a USOC bracket from another crappy, yet official, website.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 30, 2010 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Yeah emanon, like that. It took me a while to find it because when one clicks on the "US Open Cup Brackets" drop down menu, one gets diddly-squat.

Where can I buy a Bethlehem Steel FC throwback replica?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 30, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

ah, guess you found the other website on your own ...

for those that are curious, here is the background/history of the site with the brackets

Posted by: emanon13 | June 30, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Just back. Plenty of room in the stands down in my end (camera left). The sun in the first half was blinding. It had to have some effect. Also, there was STANDING WATER on the field at kick off. I know teams like a wet pitch, but it was way overdone (Rain?? I don't think so?). It made for awfully slow and clumsy play (IMHO). better in the second half, it must have soaked in.

Playing Morsink and King together will not jeopardize the Iniesta / Xavi pairing any time soon. Ouch. Hustle, yes, but no jogo bonito.

Allsop couldn't find the game, and the game couldn't find him. Jaime is playing too slowly.

Richmond will, um, kick themselves, that they couldn't take better advantage of Najar. Still, the kid knows what a passing lane looks like, and he knew to block it when he saw one.

#19 for Richmond crosses a nice ball.

The ref looked a bit slow, but he was generally fine.

A guy with an official looking hat on said the attendance was 2985 as we trooped out in the crowd.

That's all I got...

Posted by: JkR- | June 30, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

OK, I rescind my description of TheCup.us as "crappy." I thought it was an official USOC site, not a volunteer operation.

It's crappy that the official USFG site can't show a bracket. But USSF is really good at directing you to their on-line store.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 30, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

"USFG" should read "USOC." F is really close to O and G is next to C on my keyboard :-)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 30, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

just watched the replay of the Spain-Portugal match tonight. Villa was offside on that goal, right? How come we're not hearing anything about *that* blown call?

Posted by: foul_throw | June 30, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

I read that if United advances they would play Hburg at the New Trafford at Fairfax; however, I also read that the next match would be at the San Siro-plex in Montgomery.

Jeezy-peezy where the Hellen-Keller is it gonna be?

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 30, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

why would you put your best creative player on defense?? Just bizarre....

Posted by: fedssocr
------------------

Good question. With Germany employing the same strategy, sounds like a good question for Joachim Löw's hairdo.

Posted by: benonthehill | June 30, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1
--------------------------------------

Yeah, absolute joke of a web site. How can they not have one thing that a visitor would want to see???

I did find a good current bracket on wikipedia, though:

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | June 30, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

"With tonight’s victory, D.C. United is set to host the Harrisburg City Islanders (USL-2) in the quarterfinals of the 2010 U.S. Open Cup at Maryland SoccerPlex in Boyds, Md. July 21 at 7:30 p.m. ET. The game was previously announced with the game date as July 7 at George Mason Stadium."

Posted by: emanon13 | June 30, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: foul_throw

-------------

Because he wasn't offside.

Posted by: loosek | July 1, 2010 6:06 AM | Report abuse

because that play was just way too close to call...at real speed. Benefit of the doubt goes to the attackers. That last little touch would have been virtually impossible for the AR to see. Plus everyone outside of Portugal hates Portugal and loves Spain.

Posted by: fedssocr | July 1, 2010 7:17 AM | Report abuse

Why does it say "It takes more" on DCU's website? It takes more what exactly, more money to build a stadium, more talent than we have to win... Please feel free to add on.

Posted by: no_recess | July 1, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan
=============

It takes more bandwidth.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 1, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

According to the bracket at thecup.us, the Kansas City Athletics played two games on June 15th...

Posted by: edgeonyou | July 1, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Top 5 list of things it takes more of:

5-Double headers. (the Kansas City Athletics played two games on June 15th...)
4-Wednesday matches.
3-DArbies against lower division teams.
2-17 year old highschool drop-outs.

And the number 1 things "It takes more of..."

Witch-Doctors with pots of boiling soup on their heads blowimg vuvuzelas on Wednesday double-headers dArby matches against lower division teams with a bunch of 17 year-old highschool drop-outs!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | July 1, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

-Agree that the pitch was overwatered. It didn't help that the grass looked taller than most pro pitches, either. The combo made for a slow and disjointed first half with many passes not quite reaching their target. Is that great defending or poor passing? I'll side with the offense that this field disrupted the "normal" ball speed they're used to.
-I have the same conspiracy theory that this match was a tester for a possible stadium bid in the area. Aren't there other MLS stadia on or adjacent to college campuses (campi?), e.g. Home Depot Center.
-The educational flier we got when we entered said that GMU is now United's home in USOC matches. Is that no longer true?

Posted by: DrBeaker | July 1, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

If they're going to build a stadium by a college, they should build it at Howard. Green line, center of the city, developing area, go straight to 930 club show....
.....that said, I spoke with Fenty two weeks ago. He was at my subway stop. He said they are looking at the RFK area and Poplar Point, and that's pretty much it.
This after sufficiently grilling him on his broken promise to fans a week before the election. He turned it onto the old management saying their terms were not good for taxpayers. He said the new management is more realistic. Then he asked for my vote and I said I need to hear more about what Vince Gray has to say about a stadium deal.

Posted by: dsheon1 | July 1, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Awesome dsheon. I've seen Fenty around, but my Virginia residency among other things have never made me feel like it was my place to bug him about United. It's good to hear others have actually pulled his card.

Cheers.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 1, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dsheon1 | July 1, 2010 10:23 AM

+1 I love it!

Having said that, does it really matter what a politician says on the campaign trail?

Posted by: DrBeaker | July 1, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse