Mexico, Uruguay advance to World Cup round of 16 from Group A

Uruguay tops Mexico, 1-0, to win Group A. But Mexico earns the second spot from the group by virtue of its goal-differential edge over South Africa, which scored a 2-1 win over the collapsing French.

By Matt Bonesteel  |  June 22, 2010; 12:00 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Uruguay
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Planet football, animal planet
Next: World Cup: France goes out meekly

Comments

"... over the collapsing French."

That seems to be a theme for them.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | June 22, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

South Africa. Fail.

Posted by: Reignking | June 22, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I couldn't listen to the Uruguay-Mexico match at work but that looked like the most exciting match of the Cup so far.

Posted by: DCB23 | June 22, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure the nation of Ireland is happy their team's spot in the World Cup was taken by such an inspired French team. Boo to you France, boo...

Posted by: rss317 | June 22, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Didnt mind Mexico advancing, my buddy Gonzalo was literally kicking boxes in the warehouse at halftime.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 22, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Reports are coming out that Domenech refused to shake the hand of Parreira. No matter who finishes with the worse record in this tournament the French will be remembered as the worse participant in any World Cup.

I thought the players may pick up themselves to try and play their best because it's the World Cup. Instead, they disrespected it with their attitude, antics and just total disregard for the tournament.

Here's hoping they never qualify for another tournament.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | June 22, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I hate Mexico.

Posted by: Hoost | June 22, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reignking | June 22, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Glad I wasn't in France again for this World Cup!

Posted by: Reignking | June 22, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Kudos to South Africa for giving their nation a win and for doing better than most people expected. (The nation is also apparently doing a lot better job hosting the tournament than many people expected.)

While I suspect we have not heard the end of this French circus act, at least it won't be as big a story anymore.

Posted by: Rhio | June 22, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

South Africa is out, but they can hold their heads up. Four points is respectable, when they were supposed to get zero.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 22, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Not only did Domenech refuse to shake Parreira's hand, he apparently was screaming something at him as they walked past each other. Way to keep it classy, France!

Posted by: harkes4ever | June 22, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

If only Bafana Bafana could have scored a few more times, it would have been a glorious morning.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 22, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Sigh: Aris on verge of dropping Adu

Posted by: Reignking | June 22, 2010 12:49 PM |

I guess there is always the Rochester Rhinos.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 22, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

C'est la vie.
(C'est la vie)
That's just the way it goes.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 22, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

That's right.

Posted by: Reignking | June 22, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Like Alexi Lalas (uggghhh...) part of my heart was rooting for South Africa but my mind was rooting for Mexico as they are a better team.

South Africa arguably did about as well as we did in 1994. Back then it was a 24-team tourney and the USA with a win, a draw and a loss was able to be one of the 3rd place teams advancing to the Round of 16.

Mexico-Argentina will be a rematch of 2006's Round of 16 matchup. That was one of the best games of the tournament and featured the Goal of the Tournament by Maxi Rodriguez as the gamewinner.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | June 22, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse