Monday kickaround

lionsoccer.jpg*Read my full story from U.S. World Cup training Sunday. The team was given Monday off. Players have the option of golf, a visit to a lion park (stay away from Jozy's ankle, Simba!), fishing, flying model airplanes or remaining at the lodge. Work resumes Tuesday in Pretoria.

*Norman Chad's weekly column compares and contrasts the planet's two greatest sporting events: the World Cup and, um, World Series of Poker. (He covered the 1986 Cup; he is a TV commentator for poker.)

*Without goalkeeper Julio Cesar, Brazil will play a friendly today at Tanzania (11 a.m. ET, ESPN Deportes).

*Despite a hamstring injury that could sideline him for weeks, Dutch midfielder Arjen Robben will remain on the 23-man roster, Coach Bert van Marwijk said.

"If I just let it heal, then I'm back on the field in four to six weeks, but we don't have so much time," Robben told Studio Voetbal. Trainer "Dick van Toorn is going to help me. We're going to work incredibly hard. I'm going to fight till I drop."

*In the aftermath of the stampede that injured more than a dozen people entering the Nigeria-North Korea friendly Sunday, organizers of other pre-Cup games are on alert. Although FIFA is not overseeing the events -- a claim hammered home in a press release distancing the organization from Sunday's incident -- it has required teams to play once free of charge. England will play a local club today in Rustenburg, and with only 12,000 tickets available for the match in a 20,000-seat venue, English officials are confident that crowd control will not become an issue.

*In Washington, a historic building on 15th Street NW has been converted into the Soccer Mansion, an upscale venue to watch World Cup matches while also supporting the Latino Federation of Greater Washington.

By Steve Goff  |  June 7, 2010; 6:01 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Brazil , England , FIFA , Netherlands , U.S. men's national team  | Tags: Arjen Robben, Brazil, England friendly, Julio Cesar, Netherlands, South Africa, U.S. national soccer team, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: World Cup news & notes
Next: USA looks to 2010 World Cup ... and beyond

Comments

The Soccer Mansion looks like a good idea but they are only showing two matches, Argentina-Nigeria and Ghana-Serbia. Where will the ultimate Brazil-viewing, soccer party be in DC?

Posted by: GeneWells | June 7, 2010 7:07 AM | Report abuse

I'm wrong but the website is terrible. If you go to buy tix you see they have many more games.

Posted by: GeneWells | June 7, 2010 7:13 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else think it is questionable for England to play a local side as their last warm up game? I am at least glad USA got some competition.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 7, 2010 7:22 AM | Report abuse

NPR's morning edition ran a story on the US team hosting a soccer clinic for kids in Pretoria, many of whom are affected by HIV/AIDS. Most of the kids didn't know the players' names, but some wanted to meet Gooch. I imagine that they noticed an African name and gravitated towards him. The story should be on the website later today. Kudos to the USSF and our Ambassador to SA (and the State Dept) for doing this.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 7, 2010 7:25 AM | Report abuse

Is it a Toorn hamstring?

Posted by: Reignking | June 7, 2010 7:27 AM | Report abuse

Is it a Toorn hamstring?

Posted by: Reignking

===============================

That's the first yellow card of the day...

Need to set the tone...

Posted by: JkR- | June 7, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Some LA Galaxy fans have ZERO class.

Have they forgotten all of the sacrifices Ching has made for our national team?

Ching seems like a pretty classy and hard working guy. This is just uncalled for.

Posted by: Pedalada | June 7, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

RE Goff's article: Starting Gooch when BB knows he can't go 90 minutes would be a mistake. That leaves us with only two other subs for injury and fatigue issues.

Posted by: FrancoNiell | June 7, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

First post after vacation receives a card! Sweet.

Posted by: Reignking | June 7, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

regarding the chants at Ching ... yes, they're a low-blow, but they were effective - they got to him and he didn't score. As the article states, I think we'll be seeing the chant be a reoccurring thing.

Posted by: nairbsod | June 7, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Boo-hoo.

Ching is fair game. No one held back on Reyna after 2006, despite longer years of far greater service to the US than Ching... and Reyna deserved to hear it.

It's part of the sport.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | June 7, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

They were clearly audible at the NY-Houston game midweek. Ching DID score in that one, and tried to make a "shush" gesture to the NY supporters. Unfortunately it the only goal for Houston, and New York won.

Conclusions: Ching has a thicker skin than you would think, and LA is significantly better Houston, while New York is slightly better than Houston.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | June 7, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

I don't agree with what the LA fans shouted, but they are wrong because they are going after a very personal anguish.

Still, I don't think anyone can argue that we wouldn't trade any of the forwards back for Ching.

Goff, does this article mean Clark is skipping and jumping? I would have thought his hamstring would be in there.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 7, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Brazil's Carlos Eugenio Simon has been selected to ref the USA-England match. If this guy is Brazil's world-class ref, that nation's ref corps must be dreadful. Here's what some English sites are reporting:]

Posted by: runningcloud | June 7, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

regarding the chants at Ching ... , I think we'll be seeing the chant be a reoccurring thing. Posted by: nairbsod

Not from me you won't. For that matter, why not go after everyone in camp that wasn't selected? It's just a stupid chant.

It's part of the sport.
Posted by: Mastodon_Juan

Yeah, screamed out by low class New York and LA fans.

It's just as bad as those immature fools who yell after goal kicks "You #### ahole." Stupid, Stupid, Stupid.

Posted by: delantero | June 7, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if Disney's lawyers or WaPo's made Steve take down the copyrighted picture of Simba.

Public service announcement: When you play pickup soccer games in the savanna and lions chase you away, please remember to take your soccer balls (if you're still alive and mobile). They are choking hazards for the lions.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 7, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

I agree with you delantero, I see no point in those who yell at goalies when they take a goal kick. Also, I can't stand Ching but I wouldn't take part in those chants; I don't really ever take part in heckling. I know its part of the fan mantra but it is just not my thing. I also don't complain to other fans for cursing/heckling around me -that is also a waste of breath and part of the deal when attending a sporting event.

As for the referee, its hard to take seriously the charges of corruptions. They just came from angry club owners. It does appear that he doesn't have the most best track record, but what referee does? Nevertheless, if USA loses I will just blame the refs, Coach Bradley, the ball, the sun, etc.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 7, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

grubbs: I hate those idiotic chants, e.g. Beckham sucks. That makes sense.

Posted by: Reignking | June 7, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Haha. I agree with the old Beckham sucks chant. At the last DC, Galaxy game at RFK with Beckham I got stuck sitting smack in the middle of a pack of 20 15 yr old girls. I left the stadium convinced Beckham is the hottest man on the planet. Took me weeks to recover.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 7, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Remember the ridiculous cr*p that some Galaxy fans said to Beckham on his return from AC Milan . . . this is of a piece with that . . . and to those particular Galaxy fans, I say . . . You #### aholes!

Posted by: OWNTF | June 7, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Love that the one Red Bulls fan here is defending the Ching attacks. You can build a nice stadium, but you can't hide the ooze.

Posted by: Pedalada | June 7, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Dang they've got the truth filter turned up to 11. Lost my post.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 7, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

1-0 at half to England against Platinum stars. Twitter reports from the Telegraph, yes Twitter, are harsh on the defending of Glenn Johnson -who gave away an early penalty.

I think we keep Donovan on the right to match up against A. Cole but if we find Dempsey early and often he could have a field day againsts Johnson.

Also, the twitter reports claim England was unconvincing. Take that with a grain of salt as we all know the British press are even bigger complainers/haters than the average always moaning redcoat.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 7, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

The difference between a soccer match and an opera is that in the former, the ###holes in the audience are vocal.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 7, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

That was a low class move by a set of even lower-liforms that hide within the LA fanbase. Yeah chanting, taunting and teasing are parts of the game but my Gosh man, are there no boundaries left? This is a painful and personal issue for a person, who has done great things for all of us - wearing the shirt, and this is how they pay him? This dude wore their club colors for Pete's sake. I'm not saying this is representative of all LA fans, but it goes to show that the number of lowlifes that exist amoung us is rather high.

Posted by: Kosh2 | June 7, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Goff,

This may be a dumb question or perhaps was answered before, but will the Post run a contest similar to what was done during the last World Cup? If I remember correctly, readers could create an account and pick different players each round, as well as a team defense, to gain points? Does this sound at all familiar?

Thanks for your time.

Posted by: teamn | June 7, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

"You #### ahole."

I agree with you on that stupid song, but of course you hear it at virtually every stadium in the league.

I heard DC fans running down Reyna in 2006, and calling Meola "US Reject." You doth protest too much, like.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | June 7, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I think you mean New York Jets reject

Posted by: diego_r | June 7, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Anyone catch Martin Tyler (yes that Martin Tyler) making excuses for the Aussies showing against us...said they were "overworked" going into the game against us thus, their poor showing....he also called Edson Buddle a "fairy tale"...Rooney got really woun dup to got a yellow card and Stuart Pearce (England coach and former England defender) in his ear big time....

Not sure of the point of this game...against a local side in South Africa...not going to prove much...

Posted by: Shark21 | June 7, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

The Guardian's Fiver on Carlos Eugenio Simon...

"if the Fiver is to believe the latest talk about Carlos Eugenio Simon, the referee charged with trying to keep a presentable lid on England's upcoming bad-tempered and ultimately disappointing 1-1 draw with USA! USA! USA!

It turns out Simon was suspended last season by the Brazilian FA after accusations of incompetence and corruption which, as far as the Fiver can tell, are fairly serious no-nos in the world of upholding the rules. Simon was called "a crook, a scoundrel and a shameless b@stard" by the president of Palmeiras which, given the ambient level of moral turpitude among Brazillian football administrators, may have been said with a sense of hand-wringing approval, perhaps in the adulatory forward to Simon's latest volume of memoirs, or delivered as a toast at the annual Corrupt Shameless Brazillian Football B@stards dinner dance.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 7, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I don't really get the insults either. At the open cup match last week there was a group in the corner near the one goal saying all sorts of terrible things. One woman yelled at the GK something along the lines of "your mom told me she wished she aborted you". Among lots of other crap. I know it's mostly a bunch of drunks blowing off steam, but the meanness is really something.

Posted by: fedssocr | June 7, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Shark21 | June 7, 2010 11:45 AM

What on earth do they need to prove? It's a training match, who cares? Capello just wanted to get a little match speed warm-up for some of his potential attacking subs (Wright-Phillips, J. Cole, Defoe). Plus a bit of practice for the King/Terry partnership.

No need to analyze every bit of minutiae (re: Tyler too) before Saturday. But I guess that's World Cup fever for you.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 7, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

heard DC fans running down Reyna in 2006, and calling Meola "US Reject." Posted by: Mastodon_Juan

Please. DC Fans aren't saints, but for a "fan" to come on here and say, as you did, "It's part of the game" is just stupid.

It's part of the game if you make it a part.

And Meola wasn't called a US Reject, the chant was "J E T S, JETS, JETS, JETS" or "NEAR POST, NEAR POST, NEAR POST." Get it right.

Posted by: delantero | June 7, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

ching should have channeled and transformed those hurt feelings into aggression against the galaxy. haters gonna hate, but if you let them in your head you give them power.

personally, i would rather attend a match with an adult crowd and edgy chants, then a bunch of tykes in their youth soccer kits accompanied by their overwrought moms.

Posted by: dfunkt | June 7, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dfunkt | June 7, 2010 12:50 PM
_______________________________________
I dunno, dfunkt, some of those overwrought moms are kinda cute... :D

Posted by: schmuckatelli | June 7, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

dfunkt probably meant to type overweight didn't he?
I personally think the @$$ hole chant is only trumped in stupidity by the "USA aint' nothing to f@*k with" chant. Nothing cornier than a bunch of well educated, white bread americans chanting that regardless of how much we all undoubtedly love the Wu.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 7, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 7, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I dunno, dfunkt, some of those overwrought moms are kinda cute... :D

Posted by: schmuckatelli | June 7, 2010 2:06 PM

good point. however, speaking as a dude married to an overwrought "soccer mom", cuteness notwithstanding, they are best-tolerated in small doses, and in the course of post-game chilling. that might just be my experiences though... :-S

dfunkt probably meant to type overweight didn't he?

Posted by: DadRyan | June 7, 2010 2:44 PM

to me, overweight ain't necessarily a deal-breaker... yes, those chants do sound a little corny, even though i agree with the sentiments.

#1 corniest thing about usa soccer to me though: our stupid-a55 badge. the thing is an embarrassment. why do we have stars on there like that? its like we are perpetrating 3 world cup victories! (i know, i know, stars and stripes and all dat, but they should be incorporated differently.) also, the ball is being skied away in a retarded fashion. i would rather have wu tang clan design our badge.

Posted by: dfunkt | June 7, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

OUr badge should be a shield, with white lettering on a red and blue background. It should look like this.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 7, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

i would rather have wu tang clan design our badge.

Posted by: dfunkt |

LOL. You may be on to something there, and then the stupid chant would start to make a little more sense.

Stars and stripes are our heritage though man, I don't think the US badge is perpetrating World Cup wins by any means. It's not our fault Germany has decided to incorporate the stars into the actual crest. Which I personally find "retarded". Not to mention the African teams who are truly "perpin'" with the stars on their shirts. Ghana has four stars on their shirt outside of the crest for their ACN victories, meanwhile you also have a team like Honduras that has 5 stars in their crest....

Nautical Stars have history here, and there are plenty of national teams out there that are far more guilty of faking the funk than we are.

Just my opinion, though yo...;)

Posted by: DadRyan | June 7, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

The Soccer Mansion is amazing. They will have 11 events during the entire World Cup. Is great that the events got support from embassies and also great chefs and the best restaurants in Washington. PNC Bank, Ferrari, Skyy Vodka and Red Bull are sponsors among others. Congratulations to the Soccer Mansion Team, DC needed a place like this!

Posted by: albertoechegaray | June 8, 2010 12:28 AM | Report abuse