Monday's World Cup kickaround

*You know the World Cup must be big in the States if my man Norman Chad is writing about soccer again. You'll like his latest column. Probably.

"In England, soccer players get knighted; in the United States, they get Business Select tickets on Southwest."

*The Americans were given the day off and will resume training Tuesday. They were here at the chic Melrose Arch complex for a private function and then welcomed family and friends to their headquarters at Irene Country Lodge for a social event. Nevertheless, I am awaiting word on goalkeeper Tim Howard and his sore ribs.

*The latest observations from our team of fan correspondents on the ground in South Africa.

*England is keeping an eye on central defender Ledley King, who strained his groin in the draw with the United States.

*Oh, those North Koreans!

By Steve Goff  |  June 14, 2010; 9:25 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , England , U.S. men's national team  | Tags: American soccer, Ledley King, North Korea, Tim Howard, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Could vuvuzelas fall silent? Ban possible
Next: Tim Howard cleared to play for USA in World Cup

Comments

One of these days, countries like North Korea will be banned from participating in the World Cup.

And one day, FIFA will not be corrupt.

I won't be holding my breath.

Posted by: roadkit | June 14, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Maybe North Korean TV was streaming justintv.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 14, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

It's such a capitalist notion, broadcast "rights." It's really shameful how everyone wants to Europeanize the North Koreans.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 14, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Honda with the goal. Toyota's been ineffective. Can't control his speed.

Posted by: benonthehill | June 14, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I made it thru 2/3 of the first page of Chad's column before I got bored and clicked away.

Posted by: Ron16 | June 14, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I had to quit when I read that the US were a bunch of xenophobes.

Posted by: Reignking | June 14, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Norman Chad is just plain tedious.

Posted by: GeneWells | June 14, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

The fan correspondents mention seeing a 'Keep United in DC sign' at the USA/England game.

Scroll to the bottom of this page to see a picture of it: http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1329777&page=116

Posted by: seahawkdad | June 14, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

DC United needs to think about making a serious offer for Jay Demerit, otherwise he might end up on a scrubby EPL team...

Posted by: alan19 | June 14, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Not sure what happened to the intellect usually apparent here, but Norman Chad is a SATIRIST. And, he is too funny.

Posted by: paulkp | June 14, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse