Poll: After USA vs. Slovenia, will the Americans advance in World Cup?

UPDATED WITH SCENARIOS 2:57 P.M.

I was going to gin up a poll on what you all thought of Maurice Edu's disallowed goal, but that likely would have been the first unanimous poll in Washington Post history. So instead, what does everyone think of the United States' chances of advancement? Sure, a lot depends on England-Algeria later today, but what do you think at this point?

I stand corrected. As alert reader Michael Brody points out, if the United States beats Algeria by two goals, the Americans are through to the knockout round, no matter what happens in games between England and Algeria today and England and Slovenia next week.

The scenarios:

--United States wins its final game, giving it five points. England wins both of its final two games. England (seven points) and United States (five points) advance.

--United States wins its final game, giving it five points. England defeats Algeria but loses to Slovenia. Slovenia (seven points) and United States (five points) advance.

--United States wins its final game, giving it five points. England defeats Algeria but ties Slovenia. United States, England and Slovenia all finish with five points. Slovenia's goal differential with a tie against England would be plus-one. Therefore, if the United States defeats Algeria by two goals, its goal differential will be plus-two, giving it the edge over Slovenia.

Should Algeria somehow defeat or tie England today, a U.S. win over Algeria next week -- by any margin -- would put the Americans through.

So basically, beat Algeria.

ONE MORE SCENARIO INVOLVING U.S.-ALGERIA TIE

1. Algeria holds on to tie England.
2. United States ties Algeria.
3. Slovenia defeats England.

Slovenia (seven points) and the United States (three points) advance over England and Algeria (two points each).

By Matt Bonesteel  |  June 18, 2010; 12:42 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA vs. Slovenia: Americans rally for 2-2 tie
Next: Koman Coulibaly at the center of World Cup controversy

Comments

Crazy emotions

Posted by: CBT2 | June 18, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I am thinking England will win out, US will beat Algeria. After Serbia/Germany & some other calls seen after a pretty exemplary opening round from the ref crews, who knows?

Posted by: ch3k | June 18, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

The US has the ability and the heart to advance, but will the refs let them? I vote YES because we have to get a solid game from them (like the Egypt game last year) sooner or later, right?

Posted by: Kosh2 | June 18, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I don't know what everyone keeps talking about. Our fate is in our own hands. Doesn't matter what happens in England-Algeria. We beat Algeria by more than 1 goal and we're through. Do the math.

Posted by: daandre3 | June 18, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Why does everyone think the US is going to automatically beat Algeria or any team? It should be pretty clear that's not going to happen.

Posted by: decoi | June 18, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm not saying that we WILL beat Algeria. I'm saying beat them by more than a goal and we're through, lose and we're out, draw and only a miracle of god gets us through. Only in the miracle circumstance does it matter what happens tonight. We need to focus on our own business.

Posted by: daandre3 | June 18, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Eh come on, you know somebody would have voted the call legit just to be "the guy"...

Posted by: CapsNut | June 18, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Real Score: USA 2 - REFEREE 1 - Slovenia 2

Referees always blow it for the crucial ones. They should not be factors in modern games.

Posted by: Charisma_Man | June 18, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

We should go through so I voted yes. I used my heart at least as much as my brain.

A win by 2 goals on Wednesday against Algeria guarantees the US will advance.

If England doesn't win today, then a win by any score by the US over Algeria will guarantee advancement.

If England wins today and then beats Slovenia by more than a goal on Wednesday, we would also advance with any margin of victory over Algeria.

If England wins today and ties Slovenia, then we would have to beat Algeria by more than a goal to ensure advancement based on the goal differential tiebreaker.

We will know what we need to do before Wednesday's game. Either way, either a US victory over Algeria or a 2-goals or more victory over Algeria will be enough to get us to the knockout stages.

It's even possible we could go through if England ties today and Wednesday and we tie also on Wednesday (I believe the tiebreaker would be which team has scored more goals).

The path to the round of 16 could still be bumpy but at least we know the US soccer team will control its destiny going into Wednesday's game.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | June 18, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Daandre3 is right. Assuming the US beats Algeria (not that it's a given but if they don't there's no point in considering the possibilities), 8 out of the 9 possible results of England-Algeria and England-Slovenia have the US going through regardless of the differential.

The ninth scenario is if England beats Algeria and ties Slovenia. Then England, Slovenia, and the US are tied up with five points each, and the two teams that gave Algeria the biggest whupping will advance. If the US can beat Algeria by more than the one goal that Slovenia did, then that makes the US one of those two teams.

Posted by: kevinwparker | June 18, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Good breakdown, Joel. Thanks

Posted by: Kev29 | June 18, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

daandre is right; we don't need any help from england. beat algeria -- no certain thing -- and we are in. in contrast to sports commentators' blather, I would prefer that england-algeria NOT end in a draw. I want england to win so that algeria is mathematically eliminated when we play them. if today's late game is a draw, we face a motivated algeria.

Posted by: troy6 | June 18, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Its easy;

England beats Slovenia next week, the Slovene's will have 4 points. (3+1+0)

We beat Algeria we will have 5 points (1+1+3)

Just one to nothing will do it.

And I am sick about hearing about getting jobbed. The ref will never help you win a game. We should have kept it out of his hands. Sleepy defense in the beginning and long ball after long ball to no one crippled us.

If we ever learn how to play defense and keep possession and play the ball TO FEET (we do not have a target player like mcbride anymore) we could be a great team.

Posted by: Zeebs1 | June 18, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

ok, kevinparker hit send faster than I did. I thought I was having an alzheimer's moment there for a second.

Posted by: troy6 | June 18, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

If you really want to get ahead of yourselves, you can start looking into the Round of 16 possibilities from the Group of Mess (D).

Posted by: Kev29 | June 18, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I felt like I was re-watching the WWF Bret Hart ref screwjob.

Posted by: nairbsod | June 18, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

The US needs to remember how they played this second half with urgency and resiliency and bring it to the Algeria, and every other, match.

Posted by: Reignking | June 18, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I am still confident. I can't see England losing to Algeria or Slovenia.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 18, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zeebs1 | June 18, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reignking | June 18, 2010 1:39 PM

In theory, this sounds about right. But here's a small problem with the way we come out to start matches... I think play hard and aggressively, but that can bite us in the a$$. The first half today reminded me of the Czech disaster in '06. Our guys ran around like chickens with their heads cut off, trying to make things happen while the cool Eastern European side calmly hit us when we split apart. And made good use of the chances.

Thankfully in the second half today, our top players kept their heads and performed with that resiliency you mentioned.

I don't think we need to try and win the Algeria match in the first ten minutes. They can calmly get their legs under themselves, figure out the pace of the game and how Algeria are going to come at them (if at all). It sounds negative, but make sure you don't leave the defense exposed early. Then get forward as much as you can.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 18, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

England

G David James
D John Terry
D Jamie Carragher
D Ashley Cole
D Glen Johnson
M Gareth Barry
M Frank Lampard
M Steven Gerrard
M Aaron Lennon
F Wayne Rooney
F Emile Heskey

Posted by: Kev29 | June 18, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Kev: at least offensively, I saw the opposite. Slovenia's excellent defensive form had us standing around, not even able to find a passing lane. That's when a change in strategy was needed -- which got after 45.

I've often wondered how coaches communicate with field players, other than "push up" or "fall back". And it's even tougher with that noise level (you saw Dolo signal that frustration early on).

Posted by: Reignking | June 18, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

If USA beat Algeria by 2, we're through regardless of the rest of the scores.

Otherwise, here are the remaining scenarios:

If England beat both Algeria and Slovenia, USA need to beat Algeria by any margin to advance.

If England beat Algeria, but lose to Slovenia; USA need to beat Algeria by any margin to advance.

If England beat Algeria, but tie Slovenia; USA need to score as many points as Slovenia+1, and beat Algeria. In other words, if Eng-Slovenia draw 2-2, then US need to beat Algeria 3-2. In this scenario, Eng, US, SLV all have 5 points. We'd edge out Slovenia on goals scored (being tied on goal differential), regardless of Eng-Alg result.

Wacky scenario 1: Eng and USA each beat Alg 1-0, and Eng-Slovenia tie 1-1. 3-way tie on points and on goal differential. USA and Slovenia are through on goals scored, with a random draw (coin toss) determining 1st and 2nd place.

Posted by: CA_Dave | June 18, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

The USA did not win this game due to first half play, not the disallowed goal. The game should not have come to a decision like that. We did not maintain possession enough. Defense is still very shaky. I would have rather seen Edu in midfield over Torres and Buddle over Finley.

Posted by: peridigm | June 18, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reignking
========

You gesticulate wildly like a crazy man (Maradona) and, if you win, you say that the communication with the players was good. If you lose, you claim that the vuvuzelas drowned out your hand signals.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 18, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I forgot to spell "LD" correctly -- it should be Mandon. Or Mandon DonoMan.

Posted by: Reignking | June 18, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

"I agree that the refs were calling a horrible game. But their calls did not lead to either goal scored against us. So, to me, they can impact the game, but if we had taken care of business in the first half, we never would have been in that position. If you are leaving it up to the refs to bail you out, you dont deserve to win. Plain and simple."

Agreed that we came out slow and uninspired... again. I don't know what Bradley said to the team at the half, but he might try it before the match with Algeria. Don't agree about the ref's call. They DID deserve to win today. That was a legit goal robbed from us. No one should expect the refs to 'bail' the team out, and that includes Slovenia who were gifted a point. I still don't know what the call was exactly. I saw no Edu foul, and Bradley was not offsides. The only thing I saw was US players getting hugged and groped from behind by Slovenes. It was an all-out Slovene-on-American orgy in front of the goal. In four Cups I haven't seen such a blatant phantom call, save for that infamous one against Russia in 2006.

Posted by: SammyT1 | June 18, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I have no idea at this point why the referee made the call and what he was looking at from his angle and what he saw. I have not seen a replay from his angle. Since I don't have all the facts I can't call it a phantom call, but if that makes you feel better so be it.

I did see the call that got us the free kick and it looked to me like Jozy took a dive. I think the ref got that call wrong.

Posted by: csd1 | June 18, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

"According to the play-by-play at FIFA's Web site, Maurice Edu's goal was wiped out because a foul was called on Edu."
================================

There were so many fouls taking place within feet of the referee, he picks THAT one -- assuming Edu even fouled anyone. Unbelievable.

The man wanted to influence the game, pure and simple. And he did.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | June 18, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

BECKHAM!

;-)

Posted by: Kev29 | June 18, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

The USA needs to rack up the goal count against Algeria or England needs to beat Slovenia (more likely).

That said, as long as the officiating is so poor, it really may not matter that the US does everything right. If the refs are determined to affect the outcome of games and FIFA does nothing to prevent it, the better teams do not advance.

PS- that red card on Klose of Germany today is another prime example. It was another terrible BS call which affected the outcome of that game as well.

Posted by: VAreader | June 18, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Sweet! espn radio feed somehow coming through at work.

Posted by: Reignking | June 18, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I think the US should be able to go through, but remember an scenario requires the US to have a victory (a loss would eliminate the USA, and I believe most scenairos with a draw would eliminate them as well).

Presuming England defeats Algeria today,

Still CA_Dave above lays it out well.
A USA win with a result (other than a draw) between Slovenia and England will put the US through.

A USA win with a draw between ENG and SLV will put the USA through if the US win by 2 or more, or if the US win by 1 with a higher GF than SLV (currently the US and SLV have each scored 3 goals).

Personally I'm hoping Algeria somehow pull out a draw today, in which case the US's chances get much better, since both teams would be tied at 2pts and the US would (while winning or getting a draw) merely have to get a better result against Algeria than England against Slovenia.

If Algeria pulls a shocker today and beats England, then it actually gets clearer, both Slovenia and Algeria would be through with a win or a draw in their respective matches, while the US would be strictly win or go home, England would need a win and some help in this scenario.

So I'm pulling for a draw this afternoon :)!

Posted by: gr8nylacbiz | June 18, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

After further review it looks like Edu extended his hand and made contact with the defender to create space. The referee was looking right at him. Prior to Edu extending his hand the defender and Edu were running stride for stride. From my understanding of the rules it looks to me like a foul could be called on Edu. I don't believe an offensive player is allowed to create space by extending their hand and making contact with a defender.

Posted by: csd1 | June 18, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

At least the call on Klose was a foul from behind. It wasn't viscious or reckless, but it was stupid since Klose was already on a Yellow.

There was NO FOUL on Edu's goal. As other have posted, if anything there were no less than 3 US players getting bearhugs/tackled in the box. The only one who got away from their "marking" cleanly put the ball in the net.

this is just as bad as the Frings handball on the line in '02! I can't believe it!

Posted by: Golden_Child | June 18, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

can you IMAGINE the noise soccer haters will make IF there is a random draw to figure out who advances to the next round??

Posted by: birdynumnum | June 18, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Algeria don't look completely helpless out there like many USA fans seen to expect...

Posted by: tphasbdp | June 18, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tphasbdp | June 18, 2010 2:44 PM

Yep, just like (for some reason) people thought that Slovenia would roll over for us this morning.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 18, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

No, but England do. Lampard is MIA, Gerrard is useless and Barry has done nothing to stop an attack from Algeria or create an attack from the back. This is looking like the England of old and not the one Capello shaped for the qualifiers.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | June 18, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

As much as I would like to vote 'yes' in this poll, I have to vote 'no.' Until the day comes when the US comes out fighting BEFORE falling behind, I don't see them becoming a team that the top teams fear. Yes, the call on the third goal was wrong, but the US looking like a lot of out-classed school kids in the 1st half was what lost the game. Can they still make it out? Yes. Will they? I doubt it.

Posted by: Saint64 | June 18, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

i don't like our chances if we have to beat algeria by 2 goals, since we'll be inevitably down 1-0 by the 15th minute.

england looking very "france-ish" thus far.

Posted by: birdynumnum | June 18, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Here's WSJ's The Numbers Guy on how Group C can play out:

Posted by: nairbsod | June 18, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I thought the Germany/Serbia match was heading down the same road as the Portugal/Netherlands match of 2006.

Posted by: peridigm | June 18, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Has advancement out of group play ever come down to the random draw?

Why don't they instead call the teams out to a stadium and determine it on PKs?

Posted by: edgeonyou | June 18, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know why the Univision announcer keeps saying "Calamity David Beckham James"?

Posted by: Kev29 | June 18, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Prince William is the FA president? If England lose, fire Willy.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 18, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

algeria is doing a lot of frantic purposeless running around. I don't see how they can keep up this pace for 90 minutes.

Posted by: troy6 | June 18, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

In answer to troy's Q, Epogen

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 18, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: peridigm

An all-out brawl? I remember that game well, watching from a bar in Aix-en-Provence. That was an entertaining match.

Posted by: Reignking | June 18, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

"..Wacky scenario 2: Eng and USA each beat Alg 1-0, and Eng-Slovenia tie 2-2. 3-way tie on points, goal differential, and goals scored. Random draw determines who advances.

Posted by: CA_Dave | June 18, 2010 2:04 PM"
==========================

What: rock, paper, scissors contest? :)

Posted by: RichinVA | June 18, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: csd1
=======

The defender put his arm up first. Edu ran around the defender cleanly. His arm came up, but he did not push off.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 18, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Please check my math ...

Eng & Algeria tie. Slov beat Eng. We only tie Algeria.

Slov 7 pts
USA 3
Eng 2
Alg 1

Right? So we don't mathmatically need to beat Algeria.

(I know its a stretch)

Posted by: tphasbdp | June 18, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Disreagard that, the WSJ article already points that out.

Posted by: tphasbdp | June 18, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

If we win - we are in!

Posted by: justicio | June 18, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

If we win - we are in!

Posted by: justicio | June 18, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Not really. If Eng spank Alg and we win 1-0, then Eng/Alg tie, it'll come down to goals scored between us and SLV

Posted by: tphasbdp | June 18, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

* Eng/Slv tie

Posted by: tphasbdp | June 18, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

*** Just to clarify:

Slv and USA would each be on 5 pts and +1 GD

Posted by: tphasbdp | June 18, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Eng & Algeria tie. Slov beat Eng. We only tie Algeria.

Slov 7 pts
USA 3
Eng 2
Alg 1

Right? So we don't mathmatically need to beat Algeria.

(I know its a stretch)

Posted by: tphasbdp | June 18, 2010 3:22 PM

Algeria would end up with 2 points - but the larger point (no pun intended) stands.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 18, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Possible the ref thought he blew the Altidore embellished foul, and just blew his whistle as a make up?

That's the best I got. It's a tactic I've occasionally admired in a referee who recognizes his error, but the stage was too big for that nonsense.

Posted by: JkR- | June 18, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

For those of you without video at the moment, Glenn Johnson just kicked an Algerian right in the ding-ding.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 18, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Sooooo

Based on that, an Algerian win would hurt our chances and mean we have to win to go through (likely anyway). Root for the tie, my thinking.

Posted by: tphasbdp | June 18, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like Gerrard blew it.

I can't understand players not wearing protection.

Posted by: Reignking | June 18, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Johnson kicked a Johnson?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 18, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Forget the permutations and point mutations. Root for the tie because we don't want more than one team ahead of us in the table.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 18, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Terry wears protection.

Posted by: Reignking | June 18, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Shep Messing "Yeah, John Terry looks awful"

Posted by: Reignking | June 18, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Shep Messing "Yeah, John Terry looks awful"

Posted by: Reignking | June 18, 2010 3:52 PM

If I was an international player and Shep Messing said that about me - I'd probably set myself on fire after the match.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 18, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Funny stuff Kev

Posted by: tphasbdp | June 18, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Yes! US just needs to win on Wednesday. Where have I heard that before? Oh yeah, We Win Wednesdays! DCU's theme. Vamos United y Vamos Los Estados Unidos!

Posted by: Truckr | June 18, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

SCENARIOS IN WHICH USA ADVANCE:
(who saw that Eng-Alg result??)

1) USA beat ALG by any margin, USA advance.

2) USA tie ALG, they advance if:

a) SLV beat ENG, or

b) SLV tie ENG and we maintain goal differential (ie, their tie is 1-1 and our tie is 0-0 -- we advance on more total goals scored vs Eng), or

c) SLV tie ENG with tied goals scored (ie, we tie 0-0, they tie 2-2) *AND* we win the random draw

3) If ALG beat USA, USA go home

Posted by: CA_Dave | June 18, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Its looking good for the USA to advance, with England's tie of Algeria 0-0. If the USA ties or beats Algeria we are in the next round, or if the USA ties Algeria, and England ties Slovenia, and England does not tie at two goals higher than USA, the USA will win on the total goals scored advantage since England got zilch today.

So if USA and England both win, England has to win by more than 2 goals differential than the USA over Algeria.

If England and the USA both lose, then Algeria will have 3 points, and they advance.

Posted by: Muddy_Buddy_2000 | June 18, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

One other note - if group play ended today, we'd be through. We are in 2nd place, based on Goals Scored.

Posted by: CA_Dave | June 18, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Muddy_buddy -- if US and England both win, both sides are through. The goal differential in that case would be used to determine 1st and 2nd.

We'd both have 5 pts. SLV would have 4 pts. ALG would have 1 pt.

Posted by: CA_Dave | June 18, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Apologies to Slovenia -- their abbreviation is SVN, I've been using SLV...

Posted by: CA_Dave | June 18, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Amazingly, every team controls its own destiny:

Slovenia is through with a draw.

England and the U.S. are through with wins.

Algeria is through with a win, unless England beats Slovenia by one goal, in which case Algeria would have to beat the U.S. by two clear goals to advance.

Posted by: asfoolasiam | June 18, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Right, because effects can't have multiple causes.

Posted by: BooThisMan | June 18, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

The tie with Slovenia was a slap in the face given the officiating, but if America draws a fair referee for the final match, America has good chances at advancing. Anyone in the group could advance, though, so everyone will be hungry. America needs a win to be certain of anything, but so does Algeria. Slovenia is the only team with certainty to advance on a win or a draw. Algeria absolutely needs to win. America and England, if they both draw, come down to goals scored.

The team-by-team breakdown:

* America is through with a win. If England draws, a draw puts the Americans through, provided that England doesn't score two more goals than the Americans score in the last game.

* England is through with a win. If they draw, they need to hope for an American draw, and then score at least two goals more than the Americans score.

* Slovenia is through with a win or a draw.

* Algeria needs a win.

The group is wide open. America took a hit from bad officiating in the last match, so it needs to step up with some heroes in the next one to prevent bad officiating from remotely being an concern. Hopefully the next referee isn't bought up by gamblers or else simply anti-American, because this one certainly appeared to be so...or else simply incompetent. That yellow card for a hand ball that obviously wasn't a hand ball and the disallowed goal were absurd.

Posted by: blert | June 18, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Well boys, u look like scientists, pure maths. I m sure u will pass to the next round because u have a soul.... England haven't! Regards from Argentina

Posted by: hectorthefirst | June 18, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

This ref did exactly what was done to the mens basketball team against the Russians. This is an example of racism on the part of the "ref" towards the Americans. It is pure bu!!s!!t. This clown knew exactly what he was doing. In more than 45 years of playing and watching soccer I have never seen a goal recalled, never ever, llittle lone two.

Posted by: seasail | June 18, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

seasail, only 1 goal was disallowed...

Posted by: jake77 | June 18, 2010 11:27 PM | Report abuse

USA deserved to lose let aside win! The goal was invalid being from an offside position with the US pushing and jostling as opposed to guarding in Slovenia's penalty area. The referee was right. The US is a lousy side that does not deserve to qualify for the next round. Hopefully it won't and the better teams England and Slovenia will go through. The USA rigs matches too. It did so against Eng. with a 1-1 draw when the US was being whipped by the English in the first half (probably a call from hussein to the new Brit PM). The US vs. Italy match in 2006 was also rigged for a draw it being played on some dumb american holiday or the other. Matches played on July 4 are rigged by the US too. The bad refereeing was in the Ger vs. criminal Serbia (rewarded for dives when Serbs are diving giant ogres with the dimunitive Klose being sent off so that he can not beat hispanic Ronaldo's record of 15 goals), France vs. hispanic Mexico (hugely offside goal plus undeserved penalty), South Africa vs hispanic Uruguay and S Korea vs. hispanic Argentina (2 of higuain's goals were offside with 1 own goal) match. Left wing FIFA helps out all left wing hispanic sides mostly via the referee. Left Spain were beaten by left Switzerland so it does not matter! The Germans should watch out because the US is meddling with group D matches to ensure that the Germans don't qualify because the US does not want to face them! England should watch out too!

Posted by: sabretooth | June 19, 2010 6:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sabretooth | June 19, 2010 7:00 AM | Report abuse

Hey sabretooth,

someone already apologized for accidentally using El Salvador's FIFA abbreviation (SLV) by mistake instead of the one for Slovenia (SVN).

Get some sleep and maybe you will wake up without the urge for anti-Hispanic rants!

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | June 19, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse