World Cup predictions!

My picks.....

GROUP A
Moving on: Mexico, South Africa.
Going home: Uruguay, France.

GROUP B
Moving on: Argentina, Nigeria.
Going home: Greece, South Korea.

GROUP C
Moving on: England, United States.
Going home: Slovenia, Algeria.

GROUP D
Moving on: Germany, Ghana.
Going home: Serbia, Australia.

GROUP E
Moving on: Netherlands, Denmark.
Going home: Cameroon, Japan.

GROUP F
Moving on: Italy, Slovakia.
Going home: Paraguay, New Zealand.

GROUP G
Moving on: Brazil, Ivory Coast.
Going home: Portugal, North Korea.

GROUP H
Moving on: Spain, Chile.
Going home: Switzerland, Honduras.

So which groups am I going to get wrong?

By Steve Goff  |  June 10, 2010; 12:33 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup  | Tags: South Africa, World Cup predictions
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: World Cup TV schedule: U.S. listings for first 3 days
Next: World Cup news & notes (and music)

Comments

How many glasses of wine made`you pick SA to advance?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 10, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

How many glasses of wine made`you pick SA to advance?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 10, 2010 12:39 PM

Unbeaten in their last 10 friendlies - and the hosts ALWAYS get through - France are garbage... I could see it happening.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 10, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

There are a lot of tough picks -- any of the 4 in group A could miss out. Instead of the group of death, though, it's the group of crap -- any of those teams could underperform enough to lose out.
The only sure money is that the following teams won't progress:
Algeria, New Zealand, and North Korea. I would add Japan to that group, but they looked okay against England. South Korea also are massive underdogs to progress in their group.

Posted by: ChelseaMatt | June 10, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I have similar picks as Goff, but I have South Korea, Cameroon and Paraguay instead of Nigeria, Denmark and Slovakia.

Posted by: GoUnited | June 10, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Oh and I also have Portugal instead of Ivory Coast

Posted by: GoUnited | June 10, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I really like Serbia...and Germany to crash and burn.

It's so tough to pick against France, because they have some awesome players. I've got Mexico and Uruguay.

Coin flip on the 2nd slot in Group E.

Look out for Chile and Humberto Suazo.

Posted by: Reignking | June 10, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I'd give France, Uruguay, Serbia, Cameroon, and Paraguay a decent chance to make the second round. And Portugal, unfortunately, if Drogba misses the first two games.

Posted by: Miles_Standish_Proud | June 10, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

England goes home -- can't recover after the humiliation of the beating they take from U S A !

Posted by: tailwagger | June 10, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Ivory Coast is dead in the water without Drogba, and unfortunately France will go through, although possibly second. I too would love to see Germany go home early, but I'm not a huge fan of Serbia either.

On a related note, are there plans to do a comprehensive injury report before kickoff tomorrow? My fantasy team is in tatters...

Posted by: northgs | June 10, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

France will go through with SAF
Ghana will not go qualify. Essien's loss will be too much to overcome Serbia.
Cameroon will go over Denmark!

Posted by: charlie015 | June 10, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Putting a cokehead in charge of anything is a bad idea.

Mark it down: Argentina won't make it out of their group stage.

Posted by: McBride33 | June 10, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I see Mexico going deep into the second round. They've been very good against quality opponents in the friendlies, and most of their squad play at altitude.

Posted by: b18bolo | June 10, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Serbia? why no Serbia. The team with the best center backs always gets to the final 4

Posted by: SexyOffender | June 10, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I have the exact same picks except for Serbia in place of Germany and Cameroon over Denmark.

Posted by: teo_68 | June 10, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

TalkSport (UK) radio reporting that Robert Green is Capello's GK pick for Saturday. Not earth shattering or confirmed, but there you go...

Posted by: Kev29 | June 10, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I know that the host nation has always advanced (USA did it as the third-place team, which isn't allowed anymore), but I don't think South Africa will escape the first round. Mexico will win that group, and I think Uruguay will also advance. South Africa will finish third after beating France, a collection of excellent players falling short of a team.

One of these top European teams is going to complain about the altitude after an early exit. Italy seems very old and I think Paraguay could take them. I also think Serbia and Ghana might finish ahead of Germany. The Germans never wanted the cup in South Africa to begin with, and I have a feeling they will grumble about this tournament for decades.

Enough with the hunches. Let's see some games!

Posted by: hungrypug | June 10, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

The only reason Brazil's group is the Group of Death is because North Korea's team, losing 3 games at the cup, may in fact face death through starvation or something more nefarious.

Posted by: GeneWells | June 10, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Uruguay & Mexico
England & USA
Argentina & Greece
Germnay & Serbia
Netherlands & Denmark
Italy & Paraguay
Brazil & Ivory Coast
Spain & Chile

Spain over England for the title
Chile over Argentina for 3rd place

Posted by: cao091402 | June 10, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Goff, you're off on a few guesses there. France is going through. So are South Korea and Serbia. And Mexico *just might* pip Uruguay at the post - to be seen.

Posted by: bartapest1 | June 10, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Group A
France and South Africa will make it out. France because they are slow starters but too talented to not make it out.
South Africa, cause they are the Host nation and will adcance by some sort of fluke.
Mexico finished 2nd to the US in qualifying their team is not the Mexico of old, they are in for a tough go I think.

Group B
Agrentina will advance.
I don't know the Nigerian team, but my money is on South Korea to join Argentina. Greece didn't even make it out of group in the Euro 2008, they aren't going to do well.

Group C
England and USA which order will depend on England vs. USA on sat.

Group D
Germany and Serbia.
Ghana and Australia go home.

Group E
Netherlands and Japan. I don't know Cameroon but my money is on Japan, they advanced from their group last WC. I expect they will this one. Plus I think the Japanes will commit seppuku on the field I think if they don't advance! LOL I don't know who would pick Denmark to win anything? All the characters die at the end of their play, I think their WC dreams will die at the end of their group too.

Group F
Italy and Slovakia
I don't know Paraguay, but the Czechoslovakians have always been exceptional in the WC, I'm going to guess that even with only their southern half they still will be this WC too.

Group G
Brazil Portugal (no brainer)

Group H
Spain and ?? I don't know Chile I picked Honduras for some reason, but it will probably be Chile just cause they are so much better a team than Honduras... who knows? The Sweis only were able to do Euro2008 with Austria because they hosted the tournament, how it could be possible that their team can be better any better after 2 years I don't believe. For sure out.

Posted by: queue1001 | June 10, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Greece has been devalued.

Portugal takes 1st over Brazil, as neither team cares about the 3rd game.

Posted by: Reignking | June 10, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Group A: Mexico and Uruguay
Group B: Argentina and Nigeria
Group C: England and USA
Group D: Germany and Serbia
Group E: Netherlands and Cameroun
Group F: Italy and Paraguay
Group G: Brzail and Portugal
Group H: Spain and Chile

Posted by: LostinPotomac | June 10, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

"How many glasses of wine made`you pick SA to advance?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 10, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse"

However many glasses of wine Domenech drank before he picked his squad.

Posted by: EdTheRed | June 10, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe we don't have more in the fantasy league...

Posted by: Reignking | June 10, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Wo. I tested espn3 just now, and I'm getting it at work (watching the opening concert).

Posted by: Reignking | June 10, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

The opening concert is also streaming on Wash Post...

Posted by: JkR- | June 10, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

@ChelseaMatt, Group A = Group of Dearth!

Posted by: prokaryote | June 10, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Group A: Uruguay, Bafana Bafana
Group B: Argentina, South Korea
Group C: England, USA
Group D: Serbia, Krauts (or Ghana... can't decide)
Group E: Netherlands, Cameroon
Group F: Italy, Paraguay
Group G: Brazil, Ivory Coast
Group H: Spain, Chile

Posted by: me_ahogo | June 10, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Group A:
France, Mexico - First year the host fails to get out, and a soft group to boot! France got a gift with this draw.

Group B:
Argentina, Nigeria - Argentina finally figured out they could play at the end of qualifying.

Group C:
England, US - Could flip if US remembers to play and not just play kickball, but...

Group D:
Germany, Serbia - Ghana could surprise, but I doubt it.

Group E:
Netherlands, Cameroon

Group F:
Italy, Paraguay

Group G:
Brazil, Portugal - I want to pick Ivory Coast, but...

Group H:
Spain, Switzerland - I would love to see Honduras get out of group play, but I think not this year. Chile is just a 4th in this group.

Posted by: Flicking_Gamer | June 10, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe we don't have more in the fantasy league...

Posted by: Reignking | June 10, 2010 2:20 PM

I'd love to join the league if you've got one for ESPN's Bracket Predictor.

Posted by: DrBeaker | June 10, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

A: Uruguay, RSA
B: Argentina, Greece
C: USA, England
D: Germany, Serbia
E: Netherlands, Denmark
F: Italy, Slovakia
G: Brazil, Portugal
H: Spain, Chile

Posted by: SportzNut21 | June 10, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Black Eyed Peas? Uh, no thanks.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 10, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I think Goff's picks are interesting, but the only group I'm in total agreement is Group H -- Spain and Chile. That's the only no-brainer for me, too. I'm also going to go with England and USA in Group C, but I'm admitting this is a homer pick. The USA has so many question marks, you have to be a loyal fan to pick them to get through.

Mexico & France (sure, on form, the home side looks better, but I'll take Lloris over whomever South Africa has in goal.)

England & USA (dreams do come true)

Argentina & South Korea (I don't know enough about the Korean side, but Nigeria always underachieves and South Korea surprises -- and I'm a big admirer of the kid @ Bolton, Lee)

Germany & Serbia (two of the best teams in the tournament)

Netherlands & Cameroon (Denmark could get through -- they handled the USA easily -- but I've got to pick one African side to advance...and Cameroon is my pick. I'd be more confident in my pick, if the kid writing at SBI didn't make the same pick)

Italy & Slovakia (I'll go with Goff's picks here, but I find it very hard to pick between Paraguay and Slovakia)

Brazil & Portugal (Four years ago, I thought Ivory Coast was the squad to watch, and then they bombed out. They did salvage a win without a suspended Drogba in the rain against Serbia/Montenegro (I was never so wet in my life), but Ivory Coast isn't getting out of this group without him)

Spain & Chile (The only group I'm fairly sure about)

Posted by: fischy | June 10, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I think Goffinho's been partaking in too much Thothotho Sorghum Beer before this posting. Lesson here...don't drink and blog.

Group A: I've got Uruguay and France. I just don't know if Bafana can overcome the skill deficit just because the opposing team can't communicate because of the droning vuvuzelas (B-flat...thanks to Liz Clarke's article).

Group B: Nigeria's tough, but I think Greece will squeeze through.

Group C: Agree

Group D: Another tough one, but I think Serbia is the team to go through with Germany.

Group E: I like Denmark, but I believe Cameroon usually plays above their capabilities in the WC and they'll move on.

Group F: Concur

Group G: Ivory Coast over Portugal??? Seriously? Without Drogba? No way.

Group H: Absolutely right.

Posted by: DrBeaker | June 10, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

@reinking:

I joined the league to make you happy. Berry Trainers aka atrain-76. I have so many names it's hard to keep up with. Upset I couldn't find Beckham in the Midfield group.

Posted by: biga116 | June 10, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Maybe you can get Rossi.

Posted by: Reignking | June 10, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Putting a cokehead in charge of anything is a bad idea.

Mark it down: Argentina won't make it out of their group stage.

Posted by: McBride33
------------------
I agree, but that group is just too easy for Argentina.

I suppose it's been pointed out, but I just noticed it. In 94, Argentina was placed against 2 of the same teams, Nigeria and Greece. Greece was horrible. SSK replaces Bulgaria. This group should be a cakewalk for Argentina.

Posted by: BigBubba1 | June 10, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I like Uruguay (South Africa), Paraguay (Slovakia), Cameroon (Denmark), and Portugal (Ivory Coast). I like Nigeria as the top seed over Argentina and I like both Nigeria and Ghana as dark horses. I really liked Ivory Coast as well until Drogba got hurt.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | June 10, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

SportZnut21 gave only RSA, as hosts, the only possible chance for the 2nd round. What a poor knowledge of African fotball and ratings he seems to exhibit. For all you care, you are likely to see the following African nations in the second round:
Nigeria, Cote d'Ivoire (Ivory Coast) with Didier Drogba playing and of course the Indomitable Lions of Cameroon who have a knack of getting it right when it matters most in football.

Posted by: omoba9419 | June 10, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I can't get to ESPN fantasy games at work.

Posted by: Reignking | June 10, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

This just in:

DC United is playing a game tonight at 10:30.........honestly, I'm not kidding............and it is nationally televised on ESPN2..............Vamos United!

Posted by: blackandred777 | June 10, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Sportznut21 how much of African football do you know? Not much I guess from your prediction of only the host nation RSA making it to the second round. Do not be surprised when you see the following African teams at the start of the second round: Nigeria, Cote d'Ivoire (Ivory Coast) with Didier Drogba playing, and of course the Indomitable Lions of Cameroon who seem to have a knack for getting things right when the stakes are highest.

Posted by: omoba9419 | June 10, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Uh the DCU/Flounders match is actually on at 10pm!

And why hasn't anyone else joined our World Cup Fantasy League!
They even let you make a cheesy avatar that you can post to your facebook page!

Vamos United!

I'm predicting a 2-0 win by United prompting either a ticket refund or puke green hankie give away... :)

Posted by: DadRyan | June 10, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

A: Uruguay advances behind Forlan's scoring. El Tri advances too as France flames out.

B: Argentina moves on easily; South Korea joins them as Greece and Nigeria struggle to score.

C: England, USA

D: Germany, Aussies

E: Netherlands, Cameroon -- the Dutch can't underachieve again (right?); Eto'o gets his act in gear as the Elephants move through too.

F: Italy, who cares. Just kidding, Paraguay to advance.

G: Brazil, Cote d'Ivoire. Portugal struck by bad karma. North Korea has no firepower (on the field, that is).

H: Spain, Chile

Posted by: Cerealman | June 10, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Anyone keeping up with DCU?
Wallace has surgery...

out 8-12 weeks. When does Burch come back?

Posted by: DadRyan | June 10, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Dad,

I think the first thirty minutes of tonights telecast is actually a pregame show because the broadcast is scheduled from 10:00 - 12:30. However, I could be wrong. Vamos United!

Posted by: Gambrills4 | June 10, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: omoba9419 | June 10, 2010 4:21 PM

Really? Thought they had a remarkable record in the Cup of Nations till 2002, they've slipped of late. And they've only made it past the group stage in one World Cup Finals - the legendary 1990 run.

I would love to see a few of the African nations advance well into the tournament, but I don't see it happening (especially with Drogba and Essien out). Cameroon don't have the toughest group though, if the can get a result against the Danes.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 10, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Mex Uru
Arg SK
US Lions
Ger Serb
Dutch Nippon
Ita Para
Brz NK
SPN ChL

Did I really just pick both Korea's? I must be smokin Goff's good stuff ;0)

Posted by: WOW9 | June 10, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

How can we get the Koreas to face off?

Posted by: Reignking | June 10, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Shakira wins her group, all of the playoff rounds, and the final. Hips don't lie.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 10, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

¿Dónde están los ladrones?

Posted by: Reignking | June 10, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

A: Mexico, S. Africa
B: Argentina, South Korea
C: USA, England
D: Germany, Ghana
E: Denmark, Netherlands
F: Italy, Paraguay
G: Brazil, Ivory Coast
H: Spain, Chile

Posted by: scott47a | June 10, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

That's bad news about Rodney Wallace. I could swear his initial prognosis called for him to out about half as long as the most recent announcement. Our playoff chances this season are almost certainly lost already so hopefully the training staff will let him heal FULLY before bringing back into competitive games.

Is something wrong with Jakovic? His name was omitted from the likely starters box on the back page of the Post sports page. Is he still rounding into game shape after his injury layoff or did he get get called up by the Federated Republic of Serbia-Canadia?

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | June 10, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

My Picks:

GROUP A
Moving on: France, South Africa.
Going home: Uruguay, Mexico.
I'm picking RSA to go through just becuase they are the host nation but I can see Uruguay go through. Domenech is the luckiest bastard in the world and he will take this team farther than we think. (Plus, I hate to see a France captained by Patrice Evra go out early)

GROUP B
Moving on: Argentina, South Korea.
Going home: Greece, Nigeria
Argentina are too good to not go through and I think South Korea have better talent than Greece or Nigeria.

GROUP C
Moving on: England, United States.
Going home: Slovenia, Algeria.
England may be overrated but Capello isn't, he will keep that squad focused. I'm just choosing the US as a fan and because they should go through.

GROUP D
Moving on: Germany, Serbia.
Going home: Ghana, Australia.
I think this group is not as hard as it looks. Germany and Serbia carry many young, talented players ready to prove something.

GROUP E
Moving on: Netherlands, Cameroon.
Going home: Denmark, Japan.
Netherlands should go through easily. Cameroon look like more stable team than either Denmark and Japan.

GROUP F
Moving on: Italy, Slovakia.
Going home: Paraguay, New Zealand.
Italy have an easy group and Slovakia should handle all three easily. I just think they may get jittery about facing the defending champions.

GROUP G
Moving on: Brazil, North Korea.
Going home: Ivory Coast, Portugal.
Brazil should go through and I just think North Korea will be a surprise in this tournament. Portugal will miss Nani more than Brazil will miss Ronaldhino.

GROUP H
Moving on: Spain, Honduras.
Going home: Switzerland, Chile.
Spain is more than good enough against any team in this group but I think Honduras will shock the other two.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | June 10, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

@Joel_M_Lane - seriously, Rodney went from "bone bruise - wont return to the match" to "minor Fracture - 4 weeks" to "fracture requiring surgery - 8 to 12 weeks". terrible luck this season.

Posted by: VTUnited | June 10, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Oh yea! France not making it out of the group! I'm calling that too! And what's more, it'll be because they tie or loose to South Africa, and that'll be a huge deal.

Posted by: patrickneil | June 10, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

(For the record, I am very much cognizant of African football. My picks stand.)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | June 10, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Hey chatters-

Lets bookmark the predictions and see who gets closests. Goff has to send a vusevla (ok whatever) to the winner. Unless goff wins, then we all have to triple click on his posts so WaPo shows the love ;-)

Posted by: WOW9 | June 10, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

¿Dónde están los ladrones?

Posted by: Reignking | June 10, 2010 5:13 PM
---------------------------------------------------

¿Cuales ladrones? ¿Quienes?

Posted by: fischy | June 10, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

I like Serbia to go far, Paraguay to advance and Switzerland to do better than people are giving them credit for (Honduras? Umm, no way). I will take Cameroon as the best African side, given the injuries, but I think Bafana beats Mexico tomorrow and rolls on.

If I had to pick a top side to fail early, I choose the Dutch. Why not?

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | June 10, 2010 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Why does everyone think the USA is in an easy group - Slovenia beat Russia home and away, that is NOTHING to take lightly.

Posted by: Alisterio | June 11, 2010 12:02 AM | Report abuse

I'm totally with Goff's predictions. Including Cameroon imploding and South Africa being a more cohesive team than France.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 11, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse