Saturday kickaround

The wait is over.

USA vs. England. 2:30 p.m. ET. ABC, Univision, ESPN Deportes.

Read my match preview.

My final USA lineup prediction: Howard; Cherundolo, Onyewu, DeMerit, Bocanegra; Donovan, Bradley, Clark, Dempsey; Findley, Altidore.

England: Green; Johnson, Terry, King, A. Cole; Lennon, Gerrard, Lampard, J. Cole; Heskey, Rooney.

Here's what the front page of the Post Sports section looks like.

Today's other matches:
South Korea vs. Greece, 7:30 a.m.
Argentina vs. Nigeria, 10 a.m.

The scene in Mexico City, where El Tri supporters watched the 1-1 draw with South Korea.

Individual scoring changes in the D.C. United match at Seattle: Chris Pontius loses the hat trick. Fear not, United fans, DCU is still the winner.

By Steve Goff  |  June 12, 2010; 5:35 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , D.C. United , England , U.S. men's national team  | Tags: D.C. United, MLS, Mexico, USA vs. England, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bradley: Altidore will start in World Cup opener
Next: World Cup Poll: USA-England

Comments

gotta get up and run extra early these days to watch these games!

Posted by: DCB23 | June 12, 2010 5:46 AM | Report abuse

wow lot's of empty seats for Greece S Korea

Posted by: DCB23 | June 12, 2010 7:24 AM | Report abuse

way too many empty seats - looks like a NYRB game.

Posted by: nairbsod | June 12, 2010 7:25 AM | Report abuse

Empty seats mean fewer vuvuzelas. Kind of annoying that people were blowing them during the national anthems.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 12, 2010 7:34 AM | Report abuse

yeah I thought the informal agreement among fans was no horns durong the anthems...the giant Korean flag was great and classy that the Korean fans brought it down for Greece's anthem.

Posted by: DCB23 | June 12, 2010 7:44 AM | Report abuse

This referee's really screwing the Koreans. Clear PK not called and now this terrible call on Park. New Zealand clearly isn't up to snuff...espcecially after the good performances by the officials yesterday.

Posted by: fedssocr | June 12, 2010 7:57 AM | Report abuse

now I know why I don't have Greece winning one game.

Posted by: nairbsod | June 12, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Steve's match preview. The link above is busted.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 12, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Hope springs eternal for the Edu/Buddle/Torres bunch. I don't know why, it just does.

Ironic that the header was taken away from Pontius, as that was the goal he was the most responsible for.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 12, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

To win this match, Greece will need all the 300 Spartans.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 12, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the link correction, I-270. South Korea is making this game much more watchable than I thought it would be. They look like a strong candidate to advance and shows again why the FIFA rankings are mostly meaningless (47th vs 13th here).

2-0 S. Korea now!

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | June 12, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

certainly this 3 points will be good for the S.Koreans, but they will still have very tough matches against ARG and NIG to come so advancement isn't in the bag yet. Both of those teams will beat Greece too.

I still can't believe Steve thinks it will be Findley over Buddle. But we'll find out soon enough. I have given up on hoping for Torres.

Posted by: fedssocr | June 12, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

It seems to me that Buddle is closer in style to Altidore than Findley is. So Steve might be thinking that Bradley wants different types of players up front. Jozy can hold to ball for Findley to make deep runs. But I could be wrong.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 12, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Greece has a shot on goal!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 12, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

I just think we need to put our best players out there. And Buddle > Findley

Posted by: fedssocr | June 12, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

"heightened awareness in the otherwise soccer-indifferent United States."

with all due respect to Goff, this is the most tired story line of all. Soccer has never been more popular here. All these games are being shown live on multiple channels in several languages, while interest in MLS and (especially) the top European leagues continues to grow. Yes this game today will draw the attention of casual observers, but that doesn't mean the US is indifferent to soccer. To rugby or cricket or curling, yes, but not soccer anymore.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | June 12, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

I can't argue with "otherwise soccer-indifferent." Although, as you rightly point out, interest is growing, we are generally indifferent (or hostile) for 3 years and 11 months until the WC starts. Just as we're indifferent to track and field, gymnastics, downhill skiing, and the other "quadrennial" Olympic sports. sports.

We need more cowbell.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 12, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

I am editing-indifferent.

Greece with their 2nd shot on goal.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 12, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

could u imagine cowbells replacing vuvuzelas?

Posted by: DCB23 | June 12, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

I don't think you can put soccer in the same class as gymnastics when Fox is broadcasting the Champions League final live. Maybe it's still a niche sport, but it's a pretty big niche.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | June 12, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

When did I miss this? We're already in the round of 16?

Posted by: daggar | June 12, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Greece was dire. Nigera vs S. Korea answers the only question in this group.

Posted by: glfrazier | June 12, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

The Greek players are union employees. They retire after 45 minutes for 90 minutes pay.

Posted by: dcarmy | June 12, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

so, this Argentina is a good team, yes?

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | June 12, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse