USA-Ghana: Saturday World Cup kickaround

You might be interested in a certain match being staged in Rustenburg today.

Africa's final hopes lie with the Black Stars of Ghana.

Need World Cup merchandise in the States? It's going fast.

Where to watch the matches in the Washington area.

FIRST-ROUND CONFEDERATION RECORDS
South America: 10-1-4
Europe: 15-14-10
Asia: 4-6-2
CONCACAF: 2-3-4
Africa: 3-10-5
Oceania: 0-0-3

Goals per game: 2.10 (2.40 overall in 2006)
Draws: 14 (out of 48)
Scoreless draws: 6 (Brazil's first in group play since '78)
No goals overall: Honduras and Algeria.
Red cards: 13.

For today's schedule, TV listings and predictions.....

MATCHDAY 16
Round of 16

Uruguay vs. South Korea, 10 a.m. ET in Port Elizabeth
ESPN, Univision, ESPN Deportes, ESPN3.com (ESPN Classic at 6)
Prediction: Uruguay, 2-1.

United States vs. Ghana, 2:30 p.m. in Rustenburg
ABC, Univision, ESPN Deportes
Prediction: USA, 2-1.

By Steve Goff  |  June 26, 2010; 6:04 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Africa , TV , U.S. men's national team  | Tags: South Africa, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: World Cup round-of-16 matchups are set
Next: Uruguay vs. South Korea in World Cup round of 16

Comments

Love these early morning posts. Thanks, Steve. The story of the Cup so far (other than the US) is the dominance of South America and the decline of Europe's old guard.
oh, and ......
USA! USA! USA! USA!
Something to get everyone pumped:

Posted by: nairbsod | June 26, 2010 6:21 AM | Report abuse

What lungs that guy has!

Posted by: DCUmaniacsX2 | June 26, 2010 6:53 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't write off Europe's "old guard" just yet. Remember how crazy the last Finals outside of Europe was (2002)? Then the Germans ended up 2nd. Followed by two of the old guard in the final 4 years later.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 26, 2010 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Different way to look at the FA rankings in the group stage:

South America: 5 / 5 (100%)
North America: 2 / 3 (67%)
Asia: 2 / 4 (50%)
Europe: 6 / 13 (46%)
Africa: 1 / 6 (17%)
Oceania: 0 / 1 (0%)

Posted by: Shibb | June 26, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

"Powell said he thinks many U.S. sporting goods stores that he follows did not buy huge amounts of World Cup gear for any of the foreign teams."

At Dick's in Gaithersburg, you can find youth jerseys for Spain, Argentina, Brazil, but not USA. Sports Authority on the Pike had a whole bunch. My eight-year-old put on his jersey as soon as he woke up.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 26, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Just got back from a bike ride into the city and I gotta say that the bandwagon is in full effect! Jerseys everywhere, every bar now claiming to be "your World Cup HQ", as much as I liked seeing the US Soccer flag outside of Rhodeside Grill on my home I flashed back to watching the US/Ghana game there last World Cup... I pedaled harder. I even saw a chick in a full Altidore kit at the Harris Teeter to grab a half rack! Numbered shorts and all!

Go USA! Win or Lose digging deep into the US team during this cycle has been an incredible time for me.
Lets do this!