Sign of the times: France's World Cup fiasco

A newspaper headline on a utility pole outside the Pretoria stadium. Note the well-placed trash can.

frenchposter.jpg

By Steve Goff  |  June 23, 2010; 7:18 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , France  | Tags: France, South Africa, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: World Cup matchday: USA-Algeria
Next: USA lineup for World Cup match vs. Algeria

Comments

Odd not to focus on the positive of South Africa winning...

Posted by: Reignking | June 23, 2010 7:43 AM | Report abuse

Wonder what the headlines will read after England crashes out of the WC today? Shame to see Rooney living in a camper (ala the Nike commercial) but with that beard he'll fit right in here in my neighborhood. I could use some help on the farm...

Posted by: AmishJim | June 23, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

I could use him on my co-ed soccer team!

Posted by: Gooner | June 23, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

I thought we call them "freedom fries." Therefore, I don't get the sign.

Just found out the person I share an office with knows CPR. Good news for me.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 23, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Hey Goff, can you give us an update of the records of the Confedarations? I want to see how CONCACAF stacks up to the others. Thanks.

Posted by: ESFan21 | June 23, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Goff is, um, working. Have you asked the Google?

Posted by: JkR- | June 23, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Goodbye France. What a joke of a coach. More credit to Zidane for carrying that team to the WC final four years ago. Domenech is a complete idiot.

Posted by: FrancoNiell | June 23, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

I asked Google but they won't answer.

Posted by: ESFan21 | June 23, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

----------------------------------------------------------------------

How about doing the math yourself. There aren't that many matches. Should take you less than 2 minutes.

Posted by: fischy | June 23, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

If you do the math yourself, you'll notice that CONMEBOL is kicking butt.. The South Americans haven't lost yet.

This raises an interesting question: Why are people surprised by this? Which leagues are the best? Probably EPL and La Liga. Who are the best players in La Liga? Besides Ronaldo? Hmmm. Messi, Aguero, Alonso, Kaka, Alves, Higuain. What team won the Euro title? InterMilan -- with Maicon, Julio Cesar, Lucio, Samuel -- not to mention Zanetti and Cambiasso, who can't even make the Argentina team, and Milito, who isn't seeing the pitch for Argentina.

True, the EPL largely ignores South Americans, in favor of more direct and tallest, fastest, most muscular players -- rather than the best footballers. This is the unfortunate bias in England. Look what it does for England in World Cup play.

Posted by: fischy | June 23, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse