Spain vs. Portugal: Villa's goal sends Spain to World Cup quarterfinals

David Villa scored in the 63rd minute to give Spain a 1-0 win over Portugal in the World Cup round of 16.

Stats here, in-game commentary here, shot chart here.

By Matt Bonesteel  |  June 29, 2010; 4:31 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Spain vs. Portugal in World Cup 2010
Next: Christian Castillo is released by D.C. United

Comments

In other news, Castillo has been released by DCU.

Posted by: iammrben1 | June 29, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Another howler for Dave Kasper.

In other news, I'm really missing Goff's coverage of United.

Posted by: chemweapon | June 29, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

In other news, I'm really missing Goff's coverage of United.

Posted by: chemweapon | June 29, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

----------------------------

I'm actually really missing the Washington Post's coverage of United!

Posted by: combedge | June 29, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm relishing the lack of United coverage. I had enough dwelling on bad news over the Spring.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 29, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

It Takes More . . . journalists.

Posted by: benonthehill | June 29, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

I mean, I know he was not living up to it at all, but unless another high price guy comes in, I'm surprised they straight cut him.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 29, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

I was just making fun of Castillo yesterday on another thread, but even I am surprised they cut him. When he performed poorly I thought his signing was a cynical effort to sell tickets to Salvadorans. Now that they cut him, it's clear that his signing was a cynical effort to alienate Salvadoran fans all over again. Give credit to the front office: they always have a plan.

Posted by: hungrypug | June 29, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Castillo was released? I thought he was just on loan.

Neither here nor there for me, but I was hoping for more.

Posted by: delantero | June 29, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

So, Burch will be back on the field at left back? Who's going to be left mid?

Posted by: delantero | June 29, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Well played benonthehill.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 29, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Najar/Pontius

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 29, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

I cannot believe how bad Castillo was. I really thought that was going to work out. There goes attendance.

Posted by: Reignking | June 29, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Emilio is probably the next contestant to be voted off the island. I'm sure Paul Tenorio would love to devote more time to us, but the Post has him tracking the latest misadventures of Fat Albert Haynesworth.

Posted by: dcarmy | June 29, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse