TV ratings for USA-England World Cup match

The USA-England match Saturday was the fifth most-viewed soccer telecast in ABC history. The two-hour match window averaged a 7.3 household rating (8.4 million households) and 12.9 million viewers. When the one-hour pregame coverage was included in the figures, the game delivered a 6.1 household rating (7 million households) and 10.8 million viewers.

The match ratings are based on ABC viewership in 56 markets and do not include data from Univision (Spanish) and ESPN Deportes (Portuguese).

ESPN's most-watched game over the weekend was Argentina vs. Nigeria -- a 2.8 household coverage rating (2.8 million households) and 3.7 million viewers.

Top markets for USA-England
1. San Diego: 11.5 rating
2. San Francisco: 11.2
3. Las Vegas: 11.0
4. Cincinnati: 10.8
5. Salt Lake City: 10.2
Most-watched matches in U.S. history
1. USA-China, 1999 women's final, 18 million viewers (11.4 rating)
2. Brazil-Italy, 1994 final, 14.5 million (9.5 rating)
3. USA-Brazil, 1994 round of 16, 13.7 million (9.3 rating)
4. Italy-France, 2006 final ,12.0 million (7.0 rating)
5. USA-England, 2010 first round, 10.8 million (6.1 rating)

By Steve Goff  |  June 13, 2010; 7:41 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , England , TV , U.S. men's national team  | Tags: TV ratings, USA-England, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: An update on USA goalkeeper Tim Howard
Next: U.S. squad gets an unofficial theme song

Comments

Steve... any idea as to what the ratings are with bar viewing worked in. If it was anything like the bar I was in (one in Austin, TX) nationwide I have to believe more than 12.9 million were watching this match.

Posted by: spsoccer017 | June 13, 2010 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Or, put it another way: This match was the most-watched group stage match in US history, and the 2nd most-watched match that was not a final.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | June 13, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

If Clint would have taken his shirt off after he scored, we would have surpassed the WNT.

Posted by: delantero | June 13, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Interesting. I wonder why so may people in Vegas were watching. I knew that Green blunder seemed a bit fishy.

Posted by: JayW4 | June 13, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Or folks watching on the web? Not having cable, I watched several of the weekend games on espn3.com. Much nicer without the commercials!

Posted by: wombatua | June 13, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

ESPN3 didn't have the USA game.

Posted by: grabowcp | June 13, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Or the fact that in Portland there were thousands in a downtown park watching the match.

Posted by: spmcgraw | June 13, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Cincy was third? Really? Hm. Perhaps USSF-2 should look into moving the Cleveland team there. Cleveland's fairly close to Columbus, anyway, so those people have the Crew to pull for.

Posted by: kdiff813 | June 13, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Does the count the 10,000+ people I watched it with at AT&T Park in San Francisco?

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | June 13, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Make that 20,000 at AT&T Park according to this article http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/abraham/detail?entry_id=65660

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | June 13, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of overflowing bars, I was at Thirsty Bernie, the self-described Alpine sports bar in Arlington. I may be back there Friday morning. I hope it will be less hectic because there are presumably people who will actually have to go to work that day. What other bars (and other venues) did people patronize on Satuday?

Posted by: universityandpark | June 13, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Why no numbers from Univision and ESPN Deports? On Friday, more than twice the number watched Mexico/SA on Univison than ESPN. They are having huge viewerships and are often the only option on over-the-air broadcast.

Language shouldn't matter, right?

Posted by: maxw2 | June 13, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

What other bars (and other venues) did people patronize on Satuday?

Posted by: universityandpark | June 13, 2010 9:03 PM

O'Faolains in Sterling. Good crowd. What's open tomorrow morning for the games? I'm off work and would love to spend the morning out watching the games.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | June 13, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Ireland's Four Courts in the Courthouse area of Arlington was PACKED. Lots of England fans there made a nice atmosphere, and the draw meant everyone was drunk and happpy

Posted by: tphasbdp | June 13, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

American Outlaws watch party was at Molly Malone's. It was a blast and the place was absolutely packed.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | June 13, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

What other bars (and other venues) did people patronize on Satuday?
Casa de Daggar was "almost empty", several times.
Thank goodness for the refrigerator.

Re: ratings and bars, I vaguely recollect some previous discussion where that type of viewership is factored in when they make their analysis.

Posted by: daggar | June 13, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

I was at Cafe St. Ex, but the power was knocked out at halftime -- all the places on that stretch of 14th St, including Bar Pilar, were affected. Folks packed into a small Salvadoran restaurant across the street to watch the second half. Watching USA-England on Univision was just too ironic.

Tried to watch the Germany game today at Bier Gartenhaus, but there was a line out the door. Tried a few other bars on the H Street corridor before I found a seat at H Street Country Club. It seems like every bar, not just "soccer bars", are packed for WC matches this year.

Posted by: jofij | June 13, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: daggar | June 13, 2010 9:27 PM

DVR numbers are now available, but not really bar/public viewing. For purposes of comparitive ratings, public viewing is probably just understood to be a wash. Lots of people watch sports outside their home, this is no different. Millions watch the Super Bowl away from home, but the rating number stands the same with households.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 13, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rfghhjhk

Hey, STOP This FREAK, already! I'm tired of these polluting the blog!

Posted by: delantero | June 13, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

haven't heard anything official, but I'd bet the place I was had upward of 8-900. And I saw some other places packed driving through town on the way home.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 13, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

I was just thinking about a nephew who married a limey and moved to Limeyland. I haven't yet heard how they got through Satuday. Does anyone know of other mixed marriages? (I suppose that relationships involving Algerians and Slovenes count, too.) Come to think of it, eight years ago a colleague with a Portuguese-bon husband had an interesting experience. I think that the Post's Metro section would have a good human interest story, if they were to track down a few of these couples.

Posted by: universityandpark | June 13, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

No ratings every measure group viewings.

Posted by: Reignking | June 13, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

U+p. My sister and her partner in the UK decided a tie was the best outcome for household peace.

And you don't include crowds in the numbers because the numbers are for advertisers, and people in crowds don't watch ads reliably.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | June 13, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

A round of 16 US game, which would be Sat or Sun, could surely threaten the #1 spot in viewing. Especially if it is against Germany. Although I hope it's not.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 13, 2010 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: delantero | June 13, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Bbbbbbboooooooo. C'mon you're better than that. Leave the sexist trash alone.

Posted by: croftonpost | June 13, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

I guess you guys and all of these people at all these crowded bars you’re talking about are expats or work for foreign embassies?

“And though many in Washington will be tuned in, alas, a disproportionate chunk of those fans can be found on Embassy Row or in expat bars.”

According to Rothkopf’s opinion article in the Post, Americans really don’t watch soccer, not even in DC.

Posted by: Southeasterner | June 13, 2010 11:27 PM | Report abuse

@JacobfromAtlanta-ish Brewhouse or Fado?

Without venturing into the tent or side room (ie going off our table surroundings on the patio and what we encountered in the main bar area) my group estimated around 950 at Brewhouse

Posted by: emanon13 | June 13, 2010 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Bbbbbbboooooooo. C'mon you're better than that. Leave the sexist trash alone.

1. Sexist? I'm failing to see the sexism in Delantero's post.

2. I think these numbers prove what I said last week about that Onion article falling flat. I found myself in Seattle on Saturday, and planned to go to Neumos, a concert venue which apparently fits something like 700. My local friends called me in the morning to tell me that people were lining up outside at 6am to enter, and that there was no way we were getting in. We ended up going to a small bar in a completely different neighborhood, and estimating conservatively, there were about 50 fans rooting for the US, and a handful of England supporters. Satire has to have a grain of truth, and the "lone US soccer supporter" just doesn't anymore.

3. I second the call for someone to do something about the spam.

Posted by: BooThisMan | June 14, 2010 12:38 AM | Report abuse

American Outlaws Seattle hosted viewing party at Neumos with 671 people. We had a bouncer that counted the patrons who entered the venue.

30 minutes south of Seattle in Tacoma, they had a viewing party of 500-600 people.

I've read a lot of online newpapers and TV stations across the country and it seems every town had a packed bars and\or plaza.

These large viewing parties were pulled off, because there was 7 months of preparation.

Posted by: cjtalamantez | June 14, 2010 1:03 AM | Report abuse

I was at McGinty's in Silver Spring. It was packed upstairs and down. I didn't try to estimate, but it was heavily and clearly USA fans, with a handful of Brits and a couple of Argentinians (jersey-wise). Great atmosphere, and I believe they're open for all games, but you should probably check before trying a 7 am one there.

Posted by: ldmay | June 14, 2010 1:05 AM | Report abuse

I had a great time watching the match at Garrett's, in Georgetown. Not only was the staff friendly and quick, but their enthusiasm was really a lot of fun!

Posted by: DCRez | June 14, 2010 1:15 AM | Report abuse

I was in the Boston area over the weekend. I tried to go to Phoenix Landing on Mass. Avenue in Cambridge, but it was packed at noon with a 40 person line out the door. I tried one other bar that was full, and got into The Tavern further down MaAve. That bar ended up with a couple hundred people inside and a hundred or so out on the sidewalk (in a light rain) watching the TVs through where the windows would have been.

Posted by: mason08 | June 14, 2010 1:28 AM | Report abuse

laid up on crutches. watched from home. crowds are great for us soccer, but not for me right now.

almost everyone I know watched - many at bars, but my parents and people like that at home.

I'll probly get up to summers this week for some scrambled eggs, ice coffee, and 730am soccer...

I'm pretty sure that is a lowball estimate by about half.

Posted by: wordup1 | June 14, 2010 2:09 AM | Report abuse

emanon: I drove by Fado Atlanta at 1 -- it was insane. I kept on driving.

Posted by: Reignking | June 14, 2010 7:28 AM | Report abuse

At the risk of crowding out my location: Bedrock Billiards in AdMo is open for all the matches, however they don't have food, you have to bring carryout.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | June 14, 2010 7:43 AM | Report abuse

Who Cares. Soccer is Boringggggg. The SuperBowl burbs more Audience.

Posted by: qwertyhotmailnet | June 14, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Superbowl is one game that people watch mostly for the commercials anyway. Trolls are just jealous that the tournament is all anyone can talk about in the sports world right now. LOL>

Posted by: DadRyan | June 14, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Hey Troll,

Chicago is still talking Blackhawks, LA and Boston are talking NBA finals and Strasburg gets more audiance when he pitches for a last place team.

get a life

Posted by: qwertyhotmailnet | June 14, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

To:qwertyhotmailnet
I nominate you for the Nobel Peace prize! Your insight into how unpopular soccer is has opened my eyes. What was I thinking enjoying soccer all these years. Who knew the Super Bowl was so popular and they are talking hockey in Chicago and Basketball in Boston and LA? Mr. qwertyhotmailnet, would it meet your standards if I watch a true WORLD Championship game on 7/11/10? I'm sure the worldwide audience for the FIFA World Cup Final will kick the crap out of the 2010 Super Bowl's worldwide ratings.

I have a life, thanks.

Posted by: liveandletlive1 | June 14, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

hey live...etc,

The world is full of dictators and thugs. See the lately?
I'm talking in the USA. Just because you and the illegals like soccer, the rest of the USA has better things to watch. FYI we don't crush eachother to death to see a sport that sucks.

Posted by: qwertyhotmailnet | June 14, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

That's "See the news lately?"

Have a nice day.

Posted by: qwertyhotmailnet | June 14, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Bbbbbbboooooooo. C'mon you're better than that. Leave the sexist trash alone.

1. Sexist? I'm failing to see the sexism in Delantero's post.

Posted by: BooThisMan | June 14, 2010 12:38 AM | Report abuse

Really? I think it was rather obvious and blatant myself; even if it was just a joke in poor taste.

Posted by: blackandred777 | June 14, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

HOW NICE THE ILLIGALS BLAME THEM FOR YOURS SPORTS SUCKING WELL SUCKS TO BE YOU YOU AND BILL O YOU TIME WILL COME AS IN EAVEN OR HELL

Posted by: 0000000000000000000000000000000 | June 14, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

TO: Posted by: 00000000000000000000000000

I rest my case.

Posted by: qwertyhotmailnet | June 14, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

A few observations:

1) Super Bowl vs. World Cup in America. I've only ventured to a bar once for a Super Bowl, and it was half empty. All other times, it's been a house or apartment party. It's Sunday NIGHT, in the middle of winter, after all, and the game is marketed for home parties where attendance is usually in the teens - meaning a whole lot of TV's are turned on and tuned in.

2) TV Share. On a summer Saturday, a much greater number of TV's are OFF when compared with a Sunday or Tuesday evening. That said, assuming that DVR is included, the numbers may not be too skewed on the low side, but I'd be interested in share numbers (based on numbers of televisions actually on). Anyone have them?

3) Bar/City "Square" factor. It's our National Team. So much more fun to be around compadres in a 500 person bar or with 5000 of your closest friends in Dupont Circle, downtown Dallas, etc.

4) One can only imagine the viewership if the following future matches occurred:

a) USA/Mexico with the winner to the semifinals;
b) USA/Brasil for the championship.

Posted by: wxdancer | June 14, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

To: A few observations

I'm not talking anecdotal, guess work or predictions. Stick to the numbers. Winter or summer, soccer doesn't match up. Get over it. It is good for insomnia though.

Posted by: qwertyhotmailnet | June 15, 2010 5:47 AM | Report abuse