Thursday kickaround

*The Post's foreign bureau takes a look at Brazil, which has sacrificed some style (it's all relative) to gear up for another World Cup championship run.

*At the World Cup, South African AIDS activists hope to spread the word of prevention.

*Slate looks at American soccer history.

*The Dutch players are banned from using Twitter.

*It's not all fun and games for journalists covering the World Cup.

*Former D.C. United defender Ryan Nelsen, New Zealand's captain, misses the All Whites' 2-0 loss to Chile because of an ear infection but is expected to play Tuesday against Slovakia.

*United's Boyzzz Khumalo, who is from Soweto, expresses his pride in South Africa hosting the World Cup.

*The Los Angeles Galaxy drops its first match of the season after 10 victories and two ties. Nonetheless, when Bob Bradley wraps up his gig, whether in four weeks or four years, that up-and-coming Galaxy coach should be in the running for the national team job, right, right? Thoughts?

By Steve Goff  |  June 10, 2010; 5:31 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Brazil , D.C. United , History , MLS , Netherlands , South Africa  | Tags: AIDS, American soccer, Brazil, D.C. United, Los Angeles Galaxy, MLS, Netherlands, South Africa, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Join in Bafana Bafana's parade
Next: U.S. World Cup news & notes

Comments

@Oranje: No more twitting.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 10, 2010 5:50 AM | Report abuse

Brasil, meu Brasil brasileiro!

Posted by: GeneWells | June 10, 2010 6:37 AM | Report abuse

The Bruce has had his turn. Perhaps we will next turn to an international coach. If you are looking at the MLS pool, I guess Dominic Kinnear and Steve Nicol would be at the top of the list. And Tom Soehn too.

Posted by: jofij | June 10, 2010 6:48 AM | Report abuse

I've been saying it for a while now, and although maybe a cycle too early, I think Jason Kreis ends up with the gig at some point.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 10, 2010 7:33 AM | Report abuse

Barring an 0-3 run, which I don't expec to happen, I hope we keep Bob Bradley around for the next cycle. I know most are not fans of him but he has won me over. If there is an angry riot of this claim, I'll explain further.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 10, 2010 7:44 AM | Report abuse

Klinsmann!

Posted by: chemweapon | June 10, 2010 7:47 AM | Report abuse

If Bob does well, why not keep him. If he doesn't? . . . well, I thought Bruce clung to the "old guard" to a fault, so I'd opt for Sigi (Can't believe I just said that).

Posted by: carnack | June 10, 2010 7:47 AM | Report abuse

The next coach for the US = BECKHAM!

Posted by: biga116 | June 10, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

TOM SOEHN FOR USMNT COACH!

Kidding. I really like Bob. I hope he stays.

Posted by: Konoha7 | June 10, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

TOM SOEHN FOR USMNT COACH!

Kidding. I really like Bob. I hope he stays.

Posted by: Konoha7 | June 10, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Bruce deserves something else other than the Galaxy job own the road of his career. I would like to see him try his hand in Europe one day so that he could be the first MLS American coach to lead a squad out there. As for him coming back to the national team fold? I dunno, as another posted before, he clung to the old guard too much. Bradley seems to be doing a good job of keeping the national team quite young this time around.

As for South Africa, I can imagine all the non reported incidents that will happen to the thousands of tourists out there. These are journalists and photographers that have been hit so far. Tip of the iceberg, wait till the tourney starts. I imagine people will be robbed of their tickets!

Posted by: elfelixg | June 10, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

BIGA116!

Posted by: DadRyan | June 10, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

I think if we do do well, Bob will attempt to parlay that into a Europe job. I mean, Fulham may have an opening soon, and are very pro-American, of course.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 10, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

We...(were we around 4 years ago?)...thought that Bruce had a shot at coaching in Europe after the WC, but since 2006 didn't go well, that idea died quickly.

I'd love to see Bruce get a shot in Europe. I think he has the right attitude for it. Bradley, not so much.

Posted by: Reignking | June 10, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I also want to take a break from Beckham for a minute.

As Capello and many Englishmen have pointed out, the US is an afterthought in soccer. I find it hard to imagine that Bradley would willingly leave for or even be offered a job in England. The national team head coach is a good gig and seems to fit him, especially after reading yesterday's article on espn.com about him. For a US coach to catch on in England, I really think it would take bringing a team up through promotion and then waiting for a squad like Everton or Fulham to take a chance on a Yank. Is Arena', or even Bradley's, ego small enough for that? I guess we'll see, but I don't see any US coach in England in the near future, which is sort of sad.

Finally (if you've even read this far), last night's 1994 Colombia vs. US on ESPN Classic was great. What a great game and a fun memory, but I must say, or at least hope, that our current team would beat the '94 team 6-0. Maybe I'm just a hater.

Now, back to Becks.

Posted by: biga116 | June 10, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Seems to me the first American to break in as a coach in Europe will have to be someone who earned respect over there as a player -- think Brian McBride, or Claudio.

Re USA coach after BB: Sigi? Never. (And I say that as a Sounders supporter.)

If we do well over the next three weeks then I guess we can say clearly that an American can indeed be trusted with the keys to this car. And if we bomb out again, the demand will be pretty loud to bring in somebody from out of town.

Posted by: joepublic1 | June 10, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

I enjoyed the Slate article. My favorite quote: "With business booming in the United States, American clubs were able to pay much higher wages than their European counterparts".

Posted by: tcbannon | June 10, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I created a WC fantasy league: 570346-121829

Predictor:
167993-8759

Posted by: Reignking | June 10, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Now, back to Becks.

Posted by: biga116

I was saddened, though, when I realized that guy had been murdered because of that own goal.

Posted by: Reignking | June 10, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

I'll orobably never be a Bob Bradley fan but I wish his team as much success as possible over the next month.

Overall Bradley's mindset is just too defensive. Sometimes it seems he'd be happy to start a goalkeeper, 2 central defenders and 8 defensive midfielders. He's also tended to stick with his favorites in the US player pool for too long, but his inclusion of players like Buddle, Gomez and Torres is a hopeful sign.

Hopefully his lineups in South Africa will make use of a greater variety of players than some of his teams in the past.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | June 10, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I orobably meant to type a different word in my previous post.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | June 10, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

i was pumped when I read that ESPN classic was playing old US wc games. However, I didn't see any on for today.

I remember watching Italia 90 on univision. we have come a long way....but I would rather watch usa 94, or korea/japan as far as entertainment value...

Posted by: wordup1 | June 10, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Surely, Arena's done with the USMNT? I guess a return isn't impossible, though. Watching the games on Classic, it was reminder of how well he did in '02. If the team hadn't flamed out in '06, he'd have been on a much higher trajectory. '06 wasn't all his fault. Friedel quit. I think that made a huge difference, as the first game went sour when Keller outkicked his team and left 'em open for that first goal. You can't blame Bruce for the goals against Ghana -- Reyna's goof, and the poor PK call against Gooch -- though, I don't understand bringing in a hobbled Ben Olsen at the end. Donovan's no-show can't really be blamed on Bruce, either.

I don't understand the comment above regarding Arena sticking with old players. Arena tried to bring in teenaged Giusseppe Rossi, but was turned down. I don't know that I want to see him with the USMNT again, but I think Arena is definitely among the elite handful of US coaches. He might really be the best. To go to Europe, though -- that might depend on some input from a former player...say, if Becks gets involved in ownership in Europe. The prejudice against a US coach who didn't really even play professionally - that's a hard nut to crack.

I think some fresh blood would be good for the USA -- someone who doesn't have personal loyalties.

Posted by: fischy | June 10, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Why not Aston Villa and Sunderland as possibilities for an American coach? Both are owned by Americans, Villa (Randy Lerner) and Sunderland (Ellis Short). You would think that either one would consider the option. I'm not saying it is an immediate possibilty (particularly not Villa) but down the road it could be.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | June 10, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

To all SI loyalists -- Don't let us down. Argy Bargy Goff is on. Join Reignking's leagues... Right now, we've got 6 teams in the predictor league, and only 3 teams in the fantasy league. The fantasy league will take a little time to set up at first, but there is an auto-complete option you can use to get started and then play around. I'm sure it will get a lot easier after the group stage.

Be careful, though -- If you've gone to the links to set up teams, you're not automatically entered in these leagues. After you've set up your team or made your game predictions, you have to click the link to create or join a league. Then you can put in the code for the Argy Bargy Goff leagues.

WC fantasy league: 570346-121829

Predictor: 167993-8759

Posted by: fischy | June 10, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

The Colombian death was definitely sad and tragic in '94. Hopefully I wasn't making light of that at all.

The '94 Colombian story is just crazy. They had 2 losses from 1991 until the WC started, and then flamed out in the World Cup. I guess I had forgotten how dominant they were during that time.

Also it's sad that I watched about 6 straight hours of ESPN Classic.

Posted by: biga116 | June 10, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Bob+ the creative players we have coming from the youth ranks= death. We finally can look forward to some foot skill+possession, and I'm not about to watch it not even see the field.

I watched the US games on ESPN classic from 2002 (Portugal+Mexico) and have to say that team was far better at defending and passing than the one we have now. Bruce is a better coach.

That being said, I don't think either of them is the fit we're looking for next cycle. Of course, Hiddink would have been perfect, but someone who knows how to handle youthful, inexperienced players, to teach subtlety and passing. There seems to be a fear that US players will suddenly lose their mojo if they don't desperately tackle to keep those foreigners at bay.

It is becoming increasingly obvious we can take off the training wheels.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 10, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

BB gets first refusal. For all the hate that the man gets he sure does deliver and could do an even better job when some of the younger guys start to peak in the next cycle.

Posted by: Kosh2 | June 10, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

@kosh2

Assuming that all those young players are defensive midfielders and attackers that are really, really fast.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 10, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

biga11, I was just mentioning how it made me remember that. My mom, after the game, actually predicted that he would be murdered.

Posted by: Reignking | June 10, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse