Thursday World Cup kickaround

*Bafana Bafana's loss to Uruguay came on an important anniversary in South Africa.

*Don't mess with the Gooch.

*Headlines in the local papers:

"Agony! Forlan, one-eyed referee and timid Bafana defer SA's dream"

"Eish, Bafana! SA reels from red card and 3-0 Uruguayan win"

"Bafana dream on knife-edge: Uruguay victory leaves nation praying"

"Forlan and forlorn"

"Red-hot Chile pepper Honduras"

Bafana Bafana Coach Carlos Alberto Parreira, on Swiss referee Massimo Busacca: "He was the worse one I've seen in this tournament. He was constantly against our team and he left the pitch with a big smile, so I hope we never see his face again."

Courtesy of the New York Daily News' Michael Lewis, Parreira's World Cup record with Brazil is 9-1-2. With severe underdogs Kuwait, UAE, Saudi Arabia and South Africa, he is 0-8-2.

For today's TV schedule and predictions.....

Matchday 7
Argentina-South Korea, 7:30 a.m. ET
ESPN, Univision, ESPN Deportes, ESPN3.com (ESPN Classic at 6)
Prediction: Argentina, 3-1.

Nigeria-Greece, 10 a.m.
ESPN, Univision, ESPN Deportes, ESPN3.com (ESPN Classic at 8)
Prediction: Nigeria, 2-0.

France-Mexico, 2:30 p.m.
ESPN2, Univision, ESPN Deportes, ESPN3.com (ESPN Classic at 10)
Prediction: 1-1.

By Steve Goff  |  June 17, 2010; 5:11 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , History , South Africa , TV , U.S. men's national team  | Tags: Bafana Bafana, South Africa, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: World Cup highs and lows through six days
Next: Insider poll: USA vs. Slovenia

Comments

Just to clear something up from the last thread:

ESPN doesn't run all the slow motion snippets and replays. They don't choose the camera angles. They don't throw the switch on which player gets a close up. FIFA runs one feed, shown around the world, everyone else just picks it up and distributes it. So don't complain about ESPN missing goal kicks after shots wide of the frame, blame the FIFA director calling the shots from the ibc.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 17, 2010 6:04 AM | Report abuse

The world continues to underestimate South Korea.

I say a 2-2 draw.

Posted by: Southeasterner | June 17, 2010 6:24 AM | Report abuse

I'm predicting the same score, Southeasterner. Even had it before Korea dismantled Greece. I think Argentina is going to be pretty uncomfortable dealing with the Koreans on the counter.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | June 17, 2010 7:02 AM | Report abuse

Watching this morning's game, I think I know of a reason for the low-scoring -- lack of diving, and lack of good free kicks.

Posted by: Reignking | June 17, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Although ARGy have had the ball 70% of the time, the two teams are tied in shots at 14. Impressive countering by Korea.

Posted by: Reignking | June 17, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Things went pear-shaped for South Korea.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 17, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

This Higuain fellow might get noticed now. Maybe a big club will pick him up.

Posted by: Reignking | June 17, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Korea outshot Argentina today.

Posted by: Reignking | June 17, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

And I take that back, as ESPN hadn't updated their stats.

Posted by: Reignking | June 17, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

The world continues to underestimate South Korea.

I say a 2-2 draw.

Posted by: Southeasterner | June 17, 2010 6:24 AM
-------------------------------------------------------------------

And, a lot of people continue to misunderstimate Diego and his flock. I might have been the only one in the comments to Goff's predictions to put S.Korea through to the second round (or not), but if you don't think the Argies are going very far in this tourney, you've got another think coming. What happened in qualifying means nothing now. Obviously, their defense is shaky, but no team has better attacking talent.

Posted by: fischy | June 17, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Things went pear-shaped for South Korea.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 17, 2010 9:16 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------

Why are people always making fun of Maradona's weight?

Posted by: fischy | June 17, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Things went pear-shaped for South Korea.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 17, 2010 9:16 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------

Why are people always making fun of Maradona's weight? Is somebody over-egging his pudding?

Posted by: fischy | June 17, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

fisch, I've got them going far -- too much talent.

Posted by: Reignking | June 17, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse