Uruguay vs. South Korea in World Cup round of 16

Uruguay, the unbeaten winner of Group A, takes on South Korea (1-1-1), second place in Group B, in the first knockout-round game of the World Cup. Uruguay has yet to allow a goal; South Korea has given up more goals (6) than it has scored (5).

For live stats on the game, click here, and for in-game commentary, click here.

For live streaming video of the game, click here.

By Matt Bonesteel  |  June 26, 2010; 9:40 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA-Ghana: Saturday World Cup kickaround
Next: Bob Bradley's contract details, Nike's USSF deal

Comments

I've said it plenty of times before, but the 4.5 allocation for South American teams by FIFA for the World Cup needs to be rectified. This Uruguayan side had to engage in a home-and-home playoff just to qualify and here they are likely to make the quarterfinals if not the semi-finals. I think having Ecuador or Colombia in this World Cup as well would be a great benefit. The CONMEBOL allocation should be 5.5.

Posted by: diego_r | June 26, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

I agree, especially after the poor display from most of the African nations and Europe underwhelming. All of the South American teams look like contenders to win it.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | June 26, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: diego_r | June 26, 2010 10:23 AM

Agreed, but FIFA want more slots for Asia and Concacaf to help ensure that the US and Chinese markets have a good chance to make the finals. And even when China fails to qualify they still get Japan, S Korea and Australia - strong consumer markets.

Cash rules everything around me.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 26, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I hope this goes to extra time and PK. If we get past Ghana, we want our opponents to be mentally and physically drained.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 26, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Oh well. So much for that idea.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 26, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse