Landon Donovan scores for U.S. soccer, chaos ensues

UPDATED 10:31 WITH ANDRES CANTOR AUDIO!

Sally Jenkins wrote about the scene at Nevada Smith's in New York, and we showed you video of the bedlam at Lucky Bar after Landon Donovan's goal.

And how can we forget about Andres Cantor? GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLL! Click for audio of his call.

Who wants more?

I think this one's my favorite. The woman in pink's reaction is fabulous.

By Matt Bonesteel  |  June 24, 2010; 9:13 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Former President Clinton on U.S. soccer: Count me in for the next round!
Next: World Cup Group F: Italy vs. Slovakia and Paraguay vs. New Zealand

Comments

I dig America.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 24, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

I'm not embarassed to say I get tears in my eyes everytime I see a replay of that goal. Those reactions are incredible.

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | June 24, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Good stuff, brings back memories of 2002 squeezing into Summers 4 hours before kickoff and having it all be worth it when the US upset Portugal. Unfortunately had to watch yesterday's match at home.

Posted by: DCU_VW | June 24, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Americans hate soccer

Posted by: me_ahogo | June 24, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

A soccer hater has something to say, people! Change the channel!

Giggity.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 24, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

the sally jenkins new york bit has gotten very old.

Posted by: PindarPushkin | June 24, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Cantor is awesome.

I have my new ringtone.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | June 24, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I cried on all of the videos.....I am so proud of how that team pulled it out with so much on the line that late in the game...God Bless the USA....

Posted by: mark121763 | June 24, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I could watch those all day.

Posted by: mjhoya12 | June 24, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

can someone get an MP3 version of the goal call so I can make a ring tone?

Posted by: njndirish | June 24, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Jenkins description of those stupid horns is great:

""From somewhere in the middle of the crowd came a weakly, flatulent blast from a lone vuvuzela""

Posted by: delantero | June 24, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

speaking of tears, we're finding out very quickly who these spanish announcers from US spanish networks were really for. Sure their networks cover mexico one end to the next, inside and out, but you could clearly hear cantor crying on the goal call. The same was true of the tall guy from Univision's TV coverage. As someone who hates the mexican team, and who wishes these US spanish networks would cover the US team and MLS alot more, its nice for me to hear which team their hearts are with.

Posted by: alespar415 | June 24, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

For some reason there is no audio link when I pull up the Andres Cantor page. Anyone have an alternate URL?

Posted by: Ron16 | June 24, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Cantor isn't mexican so he didn't fit in at univision - One vision, a mexican one.

Posted by: GeneWells | June 24, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

The Andres Cantor clip is absolutely outstanding. For a guy who calls soccer goals all the time, you can tell he really means this one. He's clearly personally invested and it shines through. Fantastic!

Posted by: WorldCup | June 24, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ron16 | June 24, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Good stuff but that's not Andres Cantor - he works for Telemundo now.

The voice doing play by play for Univision is Pablo Ramirez and the commentary is Jesus Bracamontes. Very familiar voices to those of us who watch Concacaf qualifiers, MLS games and Mexican league games on the Univision/Telefutura broadcasts.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | June 24, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse