U.S. squad gets an unofficial theme song

By Liz Clarke
England may have its glamorous WAGS, but the U.S. soccer team has Weezer.

The Los Angeles-based band, led by soccer fanatic Rivers Cuomo, has recorded a song in tribute to the Americans' 2010 World Cup campaign called "Represent."

And in a show of support, the band is offering free downloads of the song for one week, starting this past Friday at midnight, on iTunes.

Bleats Cuomo in the song's chorus: "And that is how you play the game/and that is if you can take the pain/ But that's just one more reason to see that it matters/whether you win or lose."

At Weezer's request, the U.S. team's opening match against England was shown on a giant TV screen at the Bonnaroo Music Festival in Manchester, Tenn., where they were headlining over the weekend.

Have a listen!

By Liz Clarke  |  June 14, 2010; 12:00 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , U.S. men's national team  | Tags: U.S. team, Weezer, World Cup 2010
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: TV ratings for USA-England World Cup match
Next: Could vuvuzelas fall silent? Ban possible

Comments

One correction. Bonnaroo didn't show the game because of Weezer, they actually showed all World Cup games along with NBA finals on that screen.

Rivers wore the new US red jersey during Weezer's concert.

Posted by: cyberthoth | June 14, 2010 1:05 AM | Report abuse

That's great info but the reason I really come to this blog is for cheap sunglasses and discounted air jordans!

Anyone know where I can find some?

Posted by: Southeasterner | June 14, 2010 2:00 AM | Report abuse

spied a little thing and I followed her all night
in a funky fine levis and her sweater's kind of tight
she had a west coast strut that was sweet as molasses
but what really knocked me out was her cheap sunglasses
oh yeah!

Posted by: silverrey | June 14, 2010 3:29 AM | Report abuse

"RFK is rockin" love it

Posted by: DCB23 | June 14, 2010 5:45 AM | Report abuse

Video clips were great. Music was generic, dime-a-dozen crap that sounded like it was composed in about 15 minutes of goofing around by some Upper Marlboro garage band. Awful.

Posted by: Ron16 | June 14, 2010 6:52 AM | Report abuse

If anything was produced in 15 minutes it's any album U2 have put out in the last 15 years.

Rivers Cuomo is a musical genius.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 14, 2010 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Liked the clips. Especially the one of a bloody Brian McBride. That should be an inspirational poster in the US locker room. Gooch's sneer at Borgetti never gets old. Music was cool too. Most rock music have pretty limited chord progressions. After 60 years, it's hard to be original. That said, the melody and counter melody (from the synthesizer) were nicely woven.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 14, 2010 8:16 AM | Report abuse

re: "Ron, once again we'll agree to disagree, Weezer's offering is light years ahead of the Garbage Jams "great" bands like U2 and the Black Eyed Peas slough off on the public."

That is not saying much.

Multiply anything by zero and you still have zero.

Zzzzzzzzz.

Posted by: Ron16 | June 14, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

I love Weezer, but what a SJKy song.

Posted by: DikShuttle | June 14, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Rivers isn't wearing a new jersey. That's from 2006 or 2007 that was worn 1 or 2 times.

Posted by: giardinie | June 14, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

I'd agree it's not the best Weezer cut, but again, like the "Bad Brains DCU song" so much of this stuff seems to be scraps off the cutting room floor.

@Ron, I'll just thank my lucky stars I don't have any knowledge of what a Garage Band from upper Marlboro sounds like. :)

Posted by: DadRyan | June 14, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

@Dad: You do now. You played the video.

Posted by: Ron16 | June 14, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Remind me never to date Ron's sister.

Posted by: PEddy | June 14, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Not my favorite Weezer song, but it is definitely my favorite Weezer video, even better than "Happy Days" and Buddy Holly.

Posted by: Golden_Child | June 14, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Is it just me or are people just looking for opportunities to be negative and disparaging? I have to turn my radio off cause I am sick of hearing jerks on the radio bad mouth soccer (the only time I hear them talk about soccer) and then I come to a soccer loving refuge and I read this crap. A band with a pretty long history and a modicum of success decides to write a tribute to our National Team and offers it as free download and all you can do is hate on it? Jesus, you must be a barrel of fun to hang with. Do you just have a natural talent for being negative about everything or is it just that negativity is so freaking easy to fall back on? Blech! YOU write a tribute song to our National Team, Simon and let us all get a chance to critique it.

Posted by: papasteve_z | June 14, 2010 11:51 PM | Report abuse