U.S. World Cup news & notes

The World Cup fitness update: "Some of the players that were a little behind, the work continues to move them in the right direction, so that is all positive," U.S. Coach Bob Bradley said.

As for striker Jozy Altidore, who returned to full training Tuesday after recovering from an ankle sprain, Bradley added: "It cost him a couple days but from the start, we knew that this was very minor. The fact that he is back in regular training certainly means that he is available for whatever role we choose for Saturday."

Asked whether defender Oguchi Onyewu is capable of playing 90 minutes, Bradley responsed tersely: "Sure."

Later, he dodged a question about what he has seen from Onyewu to believe that the big man can play a full match: "The fitness program we have put our players through to prepare for the World Cup has every player in our 23 ready to play 90 minutes if asked."

English reporters tried to bait Landon Donovan and Bradley into saying they would consider trying to exploit Wayne Rooney's suspect temperament and provoke him into a red card.

Donovan, who has been around the media block a few times, answered: "I think Rooney is going to be just fine."

Added Bradley: "No, we don't enter into all that. Good, hard game."

Donovan, on the possible starting lineup: "There is still a lot to be determined who is playing, where people are playing."

For whom will Scot David Moyes, Donovan's manager at English club Everton during his loan this past winter, support in the U.S.-England match? "My guess is, learning a little bit of how the English and the Scottish are, he will be rooting for us."

Much more.....

Donovan, on how he has evolved as a team leader: "In the past, when I thought about leadership, it was about doing more things to help other people. I am best leading when I am focused on what I am doing well. My energy and the way I play is a form of leadership, and I think other guys feed off of that. I am aware of that, and I am also aware that I don't need to yell at guys, I don't need to say things all the time. I am certainly at my best when I am focused on myself."

The 2002 Donovan vs. the 2010 Donovan:

"Looking back now at that player, mentally, it's almost like a completely different person," Donovan said. "There were plus and minuses to that. Being young and not knowing anything can be very positive sometimes, and it certainly was in that tournament. Now what I strive to do is keep that youthfulness when I am playing mixed with the experience I have playing in certain circumstances. In 2002, I played completely from my heart and just went for it. Now I am striving to play completely from my heart with a little mixture of keeping my mind in the right place, so I can't do anything stupid."

Bradley, on what he has learned from England Manager Fabio Capello over the years:

"His quote to me, his coaching advice: 'When you make wine, the grapes aren't always the same.' The first few times he said that to me, I thought he was actually talking about wine. [laughter] Since then, I have thought about it and I realized he was trying to tell me something about football."

By Steve Goff  |  June 9, 2010; 10:05 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , England , U.S. men's national team  | Tags: Bob Bradley, Fabio Capello, Landon Donovan, South Africa, Wayne Rooney, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Donovan: 'I am prepared for this moment'
Next: Bafana Bafana bring traffic to a joyful crawl

Comments

Bob Bradley is the greatest terrible quote in the history of ever. I absolutely love and look forward to his press conference quote sheets.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 9, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

So England's coach Fabio Capello says to Bob Bradley, "when you make wine, the grapes aren't all the same."

Then Bradley was talking with Mexico coach Javier Aguirre, who tells him, "when you make guacamole, the avocados are not all the same."

So Bradley reflects on this, considers his unique brand of American soccer, and says: "Pass the Velveta."

Posted by: dsheon1 | June 9, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

When you make barbeque, the beef (or pork) is not always they same.

Posted by: isaac101 | June 9, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

As long as the roots are not severed, all is well. And all will be well in the garden.

Posted by: Modibo | June 9, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

You mean Capello has met Coach Bradley? After reading a fair amount of posts about Coach Bradley I assumed Bradely was a rec coach untill he took the USMNT over and didn't even know that soccer was played in England.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 9, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

More gastronomic wisdom:

"The shape of the pear is the most telling..."

"Even 1 too many eggs over does the pudding"

"There is a fine line between Argy Bargy and a Fracas..." (OK, this has nothing to do with food)

Posted by: JkR- | June 9, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Well played Chauncey . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | June 9, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

But when you make pear wine, it all goes bottle-shaped.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 9, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

"Argy Bargy" sounds like a disgusting Scottish dish.

I-270, stop whining about the pairings.

Posted by: Reignking | June 9, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

So, ESPN.com lists a 2:30 start for the USA v England match, while TV ads last night on SportsCenter say 1:30.

I am assuming coverage is 1:30, game time 2:30? I'll be full of p and vinegar if I show up at halftime . .. which is what happened during the Confed Cup final!!

Posted by: delantero | June 9, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Marca does it again -- get to know the 736 players.

And if you look at their team previews, they have a probable 11 lineup on the right-hand side.

Posted by: Reignking | June 9, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Ballack to DC United??? Please??? Forget going to the Mid-East!

Posted by: alan19 | June 9, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Wow, Bob. That last quote shows just how outmatched you are by this man when it comes to brains. And before someone writes another "save the Bob" post, read that quote again and tell me that sounds in any way intelligent.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 9, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

that marca application is a little goofy...i am however mildly alarmed to discover that the slovenian national team's average height is 184.9 cm, a full 3.7 cm greater than usa's. :-S

Posted by: dfunkt | June 9, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Ballack is too injury-proned to gamble on.

That's just a weird question to ask Bob, too -- "So, your opposing coach, what have you learned from him?" Huh?

I would've said "Don't buy property in Madrid."

Posted by: Reignking | June 9, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Fabio Capello: "When you make wine, the grapes aren't always the same."

Bob Bradley's reply: "When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea"

Excellent!! Can't wait til Saturday!!

Posted by: timmy6 | June 9, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Wow, Bob. That last quote shows just how outmatched you are by this man when it comes to brains. Posted by: UnitedDemon

Give Bob some credit, his results are pretty good, plus he might have been joking.

We'll see who wins the battle of brains on Saturday!

Posted by: delantero | June 9, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 9, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I was at the press conference today, and Bob was definitely joking with the "first few times" portion. Delivery doesn't quite come across in e-print. It actually very well said. That's why people laughed.

Posted by: bluejay95 | June 9, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

It actually was very well said. (Not missing a word like my comment)

Posted by: bluejay95 | June 9, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

It actually was very well said. (Not missing a word like my comment)

Posted by: bluejay95 | June 9, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

pretty sure Bob was just being dry with the last comment. hes far too intelligent to have not understand what Capello was saying.

Posted by: VTUnited | June 9, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dfunkt | June 9, 2010 11:42 AM

Yeah, but Torres (much do I love him) is only 5'5''...that's got to throw our numbers off, right?

Posted by: sec133row5 | June 9, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

""I was at the press conference today, and Bob was definitely joking with the "first few times" portion. Posted by: bluejay95""

First, I hate you for being in South Africa whilst I toil away here.

Second, good for Bob. I'd love for him to play up the "I'm a doofus American" angle. That way, it'll bite even more when we beat them.

Posted by: delantero | June 9, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

US 50/1 odds to win the World Cup. Same as Ivory Coast. Chile is 40/1. France is 20/1. Discuss.

Posted by: nairbsod | June 9, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I'd think that Cote d'Ivoire's odds would be higher because of their group, but I think they'll beat Portugal if Drogba plays.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 9, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Holden, Donovan, Cherundolo and Bornstein aren't giants either. And isn't their goalie like 6-6? And a 6-5 striker. Outliers.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 9, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

We need a league name for FIFA's fantasy game and predictor...

Posted by: Reignking | June 9, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

You see, people don't just turn into a Scotsman for no reason at all.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | June 9, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I created a league: 570346-121829

predictor:
167993-8759

Posted by: Reignking | June 9, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

@delantero, I've been noticing the same confusion. Of course I'll be ready to go at 130 but I would like some confirmation on the actual kick off time.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 9, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Dad and Delantero.

US Soccer and FIFA sites both say 2:30.

Posted by: assocfoot | June 9, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

ABC is doing a one-hour pre-game show.

All games are either 7:30, 10:00 or 2:30 starts.

Next....

Get on the stick. It's a huge pain to do one of these WC fantasy teams, especially since you're allowed only 2 players from each team -- but you guys can't leave me and RK alone in this league. Predictions are easier. Do both.

Posted by: fischy | June 9, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

yeah yeah fischy, I've been tied up at work...:)

Posted by: DadRyan | June 9, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm in for the Predictor challenge.

I lurk more than post here, but that's because I'm too busy gathering grapes or something... :)

Posted by: Cerealman | June 9, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Joined the league.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 9, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Sorry -- the game's on ESPN I guess, not ABC.... Anyway, there's a one=hour pregame show @ 1:30.

Posted by: fischy | June 9, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

fischy you are wrong dude. It's these types of posts that are confusing everyone. The game isn't on ESPN2 look at their sched.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 9, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Saturday's game vs. England is on ABC.

I'm eagerly awaiting ESPN Classic's rebroadcast at 6:30 of England vs. Argentina '98 so I can see Beckham and drink.

Watching the 2002 US vs. Portugal game right now. It's amazing how different the US roster was then and how long ago that seems. Hopefully that's a good thing.

Posted by: biga116 | June 9, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse