USA-Algeria: The scene at Lucky Bar

At least I'm pretty sure that's Lucky Bar.

Great video from the AP, showing the celebration touched off by Landon Donovan's goal. I've watched it about five times and it gets better each time.

By Matt Bonesteel  |  June 23, 2010; 3:23 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: World Cup: Germany vs. Ghana, Serbia vs. Australia
Next: After World Cup Group D finales, USA to play Ghana

Comments

That dude owes me money!

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | June 23, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

That's a good one.

Here's a great one from the US/England game:

Posted by: OWNTF | June 23, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Good to see Sam Kinison's son had a good time(first guy interviewed).

Posted by: csd1 | June 23, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

DARTH NORTENO......DARTH NORTENO

Posted by: Norteno4life | June 23, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Yep, that's about what Bedrock looked like (well, fewer people, but just as insane)

Posted by: joshuaostevens | June 23, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Y'know -- it was pretty awesome to see Donovan sweep that ball into the net. I've been waiting for this moment, I think, for 11 years...since he dominated the U17s. I saw the future then. It's arrived.

Posted by: fischy | June 23, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I am not alone. I mean, internet wise, you guys are great. But nothing like seeing evidence of US fans in full voice.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 23, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I cried when it happened live - seeing this is making me cry again.

Best sports moment of my life.... so far.

Posted by: IamAM | June 23, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

What a game! What an ending! What a wonderful moment for US fans! Can't stop wathcing this video a reliving that moment. Come on let's beat Ghana!

Posted by: SoccerGuru | June 23, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, that's the LB...
Never give up, never stop believing!
USA!

Posted by: DadRyan | June 23, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

You all should have seen the mayhem at Mollys.... euphoria. Lets Go USA!!

Posted by: zosodave | June 23, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

The scene was the same at Fado. Out F'ing standing. My throat is sore.

Posted by: WorldCup | June 23, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

The scene was the same at the Irish Channel. I lost my voice and teared up.

Posted by: jmingus | June 23, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

I counted 4 US kits in the video. Got to love how going to view a US soccer match gives someone a reason to wear a France or Arsenal kit...

Just sayin'...

Posted by: rss317 | June 23, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

The scene was the same at my house, without all the people and alcohol.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 23, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

@csd1: Actually, I'm the love child of Roseanne Barr and Louie Anderson, thank you very much.

@rss317: Who cares what they're wearing? At least they're out watching the match. Way to nitpick on one of the best moments in US soccer.

@Norteno4life: Too bad I can't put this on the back of a shirt, haha.

Posted by: Fullvinyl | June 23, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

I wonder whether anyone captured the scene in, say, a Slovenian restaurant in Cleveland, not to mention in the nation of Slovenia itself. I believe the final whistle blew in their game against England at about the same time that the USA-Algeria match went into stoppage time.

Posted by: universityandpark | June 23, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

@universityandpark

At Fado, they ran a recording of the England/Slovenia match after the US match ended and before the 2nd set of games. England went final and the telecast cut over to the US match. The US had just scored, and they were showing highlights of the goal.

Posted by: DCU_Rick | June 23, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

This is the real World Cup, with all the feelings good or bad, lucky this time was for us the best time. Viva Estados Unidos.

Posted by: noone7 | June 23, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: unitedstatesofdonovan | June 23, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Brilliant. After watching much of the French World Cup from various french bars through France, I watched all of the US matches (plus some for the South Korean W. Cup) at the Lucky Bar.

Great memories of getting there at 5am for the early kick-off's and going crazy as the US progressed. Def good times. Go US!

Posted by: inbetweenswims | June 23, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Pandemonium at Biergarten Haus on H St as well. What an ending!

Posted by: Kev29 | June 23, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

This is exactly why I don't care if soccer becomes widely popular. It's fine that this is Just ours. This puts the emotion of superbowls and world series to shame. No one can take this away from fans who've followed this team for 20 years. Who needs a bunch more people jumping on the bandwagon?

Posted by: DCUinCT | June 23, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

I was in my den with my wife, my five daughters and my five sons, and when Donovan buried that goal it was absolute pandemonium. Yeah!!!

Posted by: Ron16 | June 23, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ron16 | June 23, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCUinCT
-----------------------------------

Oh give it a rest, man. It's the WORLD Cup and the world's game. Everyone is supposed to to be into it. We're just starting to catch to up to how it is everywhere else.

Sorry you might have to let a few more kids in your sandbox.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | June 23, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

I was at Churchill's in Savannah. Same reaction -- primal berserkness! The English were upstairs dancing and singing and then we Yanks exploded!

Posted by: sw7104 | June 23, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

USA! USA!

Posted by: Golden_Child | June 23, 2010 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Here's a video of a city square in Slovenia watching things unfold.

There but for the grace of God go I.

Posted by: Alsatian1 | June 23, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Fullvinyl: I agree...glad that people were out watching the match together while I watched while "working" from home. But you tell me it doesn't bother you in the least that fans are there rooting for the USA while wearing the colors of another team? Really?

@Norteno4life: Too bad I can't put this on the back of a shirt, haha.

Posted by: Fullvinyl | June 23, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rss317 | June 24, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Good stuff, brings back memories of 2002 squeezing into Summers 4 hours before kickoff and having it all be worth it when the US upset Portugal. Unfortunately had to watch yesterday's match at home.

Posted by: DCU_VW | June 24, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

@rss317: Not really, no. First off, the guy in the Arsenal jersey is my friend, and I'm also a Gooner. I thought it was weird to see a France shirt, but only because of the way in which they left the tournament. I only nitpick on club shirts during club matches. Other than that, as long as they're watching and cheering, even if they're wearing baseball stuff, it doesn't matter to me.

Posted by: Fullvinyl | June 24, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse