USA lineup for World Cup match vs. Algeria

Bob Bradley's choices for the decisive match at Loftus Versfeld Stadium in Pretoria:

Goalkeeper: Tim Howard.

Defenders: Steve Cherundolo, Jay DeMerit, Carlos Bocanegra, Jonathan Bornstein.

Midfielders: Landon Donovan, Michael Bradley, Maurice Edu, Clint Dempsey.

Forwards: Herculez Gomez, Jozy Altidore.

Onyewu out -- coach's decision, not an injury. Edu replaces Torres. Gomez replaces Findley.

Thoughts?

By Steve Goff  |  June 23, 2010; 8:45 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , U.S. men's national team  | Tags: South Africa, U.S. national team, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sign of the times: France's World Cup fiasco
Next: USA vs. Algeria: World Cup group fate will be decided for Americans

Comments

Bornstein???????

Posted by: VirginiaFan | June 23, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Something wrong with Gooch? Seems like we would have heard about it if there was. This lineup must be based on specific match-ups against the Algerians - I can't imagine that Bradley's just trying to get minutes for certain players in this game.

Posted by: BaltoFan | June 23, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Bornstein!? Against Algeria whose best players are their wingers!? NOOO!!!!

Posted by: PantalonesB | June 23, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Seems quite odd. Even if there's a problem with Gooch I might look to Goodson or Spector rather than Bornstein. Also Buddle over Gomez, though both are an upgrade IMO.

But then he's Bob Bradley and I'm an Internet crackhead!

U-S-A! U-S-A!

Posted by: OWNTF | June 23, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

OMG Bornstein?!?!!!

Posted by: CYork1 | June 23, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

I don't know, I thought we should have tried a 3-5-2 for more attacking emphasis. Algeria is a team that can absorb weak attacks much like the US is far too capable of.

Part of me was happy not to see Gooch in the lineup. Part of me is worried about seeing Bornstein in the lineup. Herculez Gomez with a Buddle off the bench seems nice. I am also glad Findley is getting a rest on this game because I found him increasingly frustrating to watch. Jozy needs to step up this game like no other.

Posted by: elfelixg | June 23, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

It remains to be seen if we'll see Bornstein on a good day. I'm sorry, his good day.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 23, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

"I can't imagine that Bradley's just trying to get minutes for certain players in this game."

Ya think??

Spector is awkward enough at RB that I can imagine him struggling out left. Gotta give Bob credit...he's got cajones. I hope we get "Good Bornstein" this game for everyone's sake.

Posted by: the_slammer | June 23, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Love Herculez.

Hate Bornstein.

Posted by: Cerealman | June 23, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Alright, let's roll.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 23, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Gooch out is not surprising at all based on his Slovenia performance. I'm sure BB's reasoning for Bornstein is a desire for better pace in the outside back to counter Algeria's wingers, although that's definitely the one spot in this lineup that has me most concerned.

I'll give Bob credit though, it would've been easy to keep Gooch in there based on reputation, past performance, etc. It's a gutsy decision.

Posted by: JayW4 | June 23, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

I cannot believe he's putting Bornstein in a World Cup game. OMG.

Posted by: SadieV | June 23, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

I am just thankful Clark is on the pine. Edu is so much better. Gomez and Buddle are the same to me, both an upgrade over Findley. Bornstein scares me, but so does everyone else he has on the bench if he wanted to sit Gooch.

I wouldn't mind seeing Beasley come in if they shift Dempsey up top.

Posted by: CardCat | June 23, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Something wrong with Gooch? Yeah, he sucks!

I would have liked to have seen Goodson before Bornstein. But, who listens to me?

Posted by: badhairday | June 23, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Our worst fears coming true -- our already thin defense has been exposed, and we gamble on Bornstein.

Whoever is on the left side better help Bornstein. Hang back. Run the offense through the right side.

Posted by: Reignking | June 23, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Bornstein? Our hopes are doomed.

Posted by: doctortechie | June 23, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Belhadj is on the left side for them (our right), correct?

Posted by: OWNTF | June 23, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

dont have a problem with sitting onyewu since he's looked quite rusty but worried about the bornstein. then again i guess the choice was between the bornstein or the beasley. god help us.

herculez, herculez, herculez

Posted by: PindarPushkin | June 23, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Bornstein is TOTAL INSANITY.

Why is he leaving all of Buddle's goals on the bench? Gomez is a good poacher though. But I would have thought him to be more of a super-sub.

Posted by: fedssocr | June 23, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Gomez and Edu, i'm lovin' it.

Posted by: redskinsux | June 23, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

With Bornstein at left back, I've called room service for delivery of a defibrillator along with my coffee and bagel.

Posted by: griffin1108 | June 23, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Glad to see Edu starting. I am fine with Gomez because I think he will finish. Scared about Bornstein.

The game has not even started and my heart is already in shock!!! Someone call an ambulance.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 23, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

I love seeing Bocanegra in the middle -- remember, he wasn't that great against England. Of course, now we have to play Bornstein.

Posted by: Reignking | June 23, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Seriously, Bornstein???

There goes any chance of a cleansheet.

Let's go USA!

Posted by: tmc1492 | June 23, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Good call, Bob. Gooch was killing us, and Torres was very disappointing---got totally overrun and gave it away more than a drunk hussy on a saturday night.

Posted by: enierman1 | June 23, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Think happy thoughts. Algeria plays with one striker. Bornstein may push forward, giving us a 3-5-2. With Edu smashing the Algerian attacks, this is not as bad as we think.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 23, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

How are Algeria at taking PKs? It is important to know now that Bornstein is out there. He loves to grab a shirt for no reason in the box.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 23, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Really confused by the post about "Good Bornstein" showing up. I have never heard of such a thing.

Posted by: joe_hill | June 23, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

How good are ALgeria at Pks? It is important to know now that Borstein is out there.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 23, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

...I'm ok with this lineup. although, perhaps I would've kept boca out wide and brought in goodson at centre back in light of the bornstein conundrum.

...would love to find a way to get holden minutes...

lol, of course I was one who was clamoring to get torres minutes. i still think torres can contribute in THIS world cup though...

Posted by: wordup1 | June 23, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Oh god no, not bornstein!!!!!

Posted by: jebus_simpson | June 23, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Shirtless Brandi is on C1 of the paper Post today (story on soccer growth).

This is a good omen in my book.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 23, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Bornstein has struggled in far less significant matches. The stage may be too big for him today.

Posted by: FrancoNiell | June 23, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

This is exactly the line-up I would have chosen. We're now more mobile in the back with Gooch out. Bornstein might not be world class, but his inclusion allows us to play Boca at center back and distribute the ball more accurately.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 23, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if Findley would be sitting if he didn't have to because of yellow cards. I think Gomez can get it done, and would love to see Buddle get back in in the second half when we already have a comfortable lead so he can get some experience.

Posted by: kennyisbigk911 | June 23, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

My gut reation when I saw bornstein in the line up was "we are gonna lose" Edu, and Gomez will be fine, although i have a feeling that herc will be a bit lost for a while. I wonder if BB toyed with the idea of playing DMB on the left...dont be shocked if we see that change after borney gives up a goal or two.
I am offically worried

Posted by: jjfooty | June 23, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Bornstein's place in the lineup is all part of Bradley's plan to have the USA fall behind early and then...

Er, actually, the coach read an article (http://tinyurl.com/2cc8g3v) in the paper delivered to his hotel room, and decided that Bornstein should have his own parade in North Africa, too.

Posted by: hungrypug | June 23, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Kev29. I understand you rational. It makes perfect sense if Bornstein was good. I don't think he is though. Hopefully, Bornstein makes me eat crow.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 23, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Gooch played a role in both goals. Too slow to step up on the shot, too slow to pull on an offsides trap.

Bocanegra moves to the center, over Goodson, b/c of experience. This is the biggest game we've had in years. I don't want a rookie in there.

Likewise for moving Bornstein back in. He'll be fine . . we're not talking playing against Arjen Robben or Lennon here.

Posted by: delantero | June 23, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

delantero. I like that you placed Aronn Lennon is the same sentence with Arjen Robben.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 23, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Do you all think Buddle will get in? He has a genuine rapport with Donovan.

Posted by: audacitea | June 23, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I like Algeria's anthem.

Posted by: Reignking | June 23, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Robert Green is back in?

Posted by: Reignking | June 23, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

"I like that you placed Aronn Lennon in the same sentence with Arjen Robben."

Yeah, don't mean to equate them talent wise, that's for certain . . but speed. Algeria is athletic, competent on the ball, but none can match up to Robben.

Posted by: delantero | June 23, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, that was a list of subs I had seen (Green).

You can see how we're really bunching up -- like the 2nd half strategy in the last match.

Posted by: Reignking | June 23, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

So Bornstein does the job.
Interesting that we were easily scored on early on when gooch was in. Glad Bradley made these moves.
What was the matter with Dempsey?
He played like a newbie!

Posted by: bovid4585 | June 23, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse