Landon Donovan's goal leads U.S. to World Cup victory (video)

Landon Donovan's goal in extra time pushed the United States into the knockout round of the World Cup.

And then there was much rejoicing.

The U.S. will next play Saturday at 2:30 in Rustenberg against Ghana, the second-place team in Group D. Germany defeated Ghana, 1-0, to win Group D, but Ghana still advanced based on goal differential over Australia, a 2-1 winner over Serbia.

Check out the U.S.boxscore here and a postgame Q&A with DC United's Ben Olsen. "Soccernomics" author and Financial Times soccer columnist Simon Kuper will host another chat at 1:30 p.m.

donovangoal.jpg

President Clinton was on hand to watch the exciting finish.

Also in Group C, England topped Sloveniato advance to the round of 16.

To see the World Cup history of the four teams that advanced today Click here.

donovanjub.jpg

teampile.jpg

By Matt Bonesteel  |  June 23, 2010; 11:58 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: LIVE Chat: World Cup USA vs. Algeria
Next: World Cup USA: Live video chats

Comments

Wow. Can't eat. Barely breathing...

Posted by: JkR- | June 23, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Considering the number of people following the US Nats compared to earlier World Cups, that goal goes down as by far the biggest in US Soccer history in my book.

Take a moment to reflect on what it means for US Soccer.

Posted by: rademaar | June 23, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

It was very confusing and hard to see live, but Altidore's cross actually reached Dempsey, who tried to bundle it past the goalie. It was his shot that was stopped, producing the rebound that laid there for Landon.

Wow. Wow. Wow.

We want Ghana.

Posted by: fischy | June 23, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Courage, commitment, passion, and the American never-say-die attitude. Landon said it: we could whine about the past, or go out and play. And play they did.

My office gained a lot of new soccer fans today. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say these are not the only new fans to the beautiful game in this country.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | June 23, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

well done. the boys never stoped working. The line up worked out, even Bornstein stepped up and played well. I am glad that he proved (allmost) all of us wrong. BB earned his money today. Bring on the Germans!! USA, USA!!!

Posted by: jjfooty | June 23, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I was a man on the verge of tears. Landon Donovan is CLUTCH...and AN AMERICAN HERO.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | June 23, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Man, we keep having these moments. Spain last year. This now.

Posted by: Reignking | June 23, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

"Never give up. Never surrender." Cmdr. Taggert, Galaxy Quest.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 23, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

what an incredible game!

Saturday's match will be on ABC which is a nice thing. I hope we're not satisfied with this though. Let's keep it going.

Hopefully the Germans in D and play England!

Posted by: fedssocr | June 23, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Tim Howard. Just wow. Has the arm of a cannon.

Posted by: Reignking | June 23, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Who do you all want to see the USA face next; Germany, Ghana or Serbia?

I say a rematch with Germany to get the win they took away in 2002!

USA! USA! USA!

Posted by: SoccerGuru | June 23, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Props to I-270. Taggert's always inspirational....

Posted by: fischy | June 23, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I'll take the easier route (only because we beat them 2-0 a couple weeks ago). I'm hoping for Australia to come in second. Ghana beats Germany, and Aussie beats Serbia. There you have it.

Posted by: torrey151 | June 23, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Was the French National Team watching? Talk about polar opposites.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | June 23, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: torrey151 | June 23, 2010 12:16 PM |

+1 stranger things have happened.

Posted by: VTUnited | June 23, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

The games can disqualify two of our valid goals and we'll still lead our group. That's how it's done. Go, USA!!

Posted by: sarahabc | June 23, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

That goal was pure justice in so many ways. We deserved to win that game and move to the second round.

Posted by: FrancoNiell | June 23, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I like your way of thinking, torrey151.

I was thinking the Aussies might press the Serbians to a draw, and Ghana would go thru in 2nd place (with a draw or loss against the Germans). As much as I'd like revenge for the loss in Nurnberg 4 years ago (I was there, and I sure wish I'd found a spare $5-10k to go to this time around), playing the Aussies would be the thing to hope for here.

Posted by: fischy | June 23, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I just hope to avoid Germany. So exhausted from that game. I also can barely breath. Anyone know when our next game is.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 23, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Whoever wants some next can come and get some. Ghana or Germany would be some nice story lines. I am really not afraid of any of the teams in group D and I know Landon isn't either.

Posted by: csd1 | June 23, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations! Maybe we can get a few minutes of silence from the Bradley-haters now.

I can't help but think that with a healthy Charlie Davies, the US would have won this group with 9 points.

Posted by: BooThisMan | June 23, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I'll take on all teams. We've got a 5-goal game coming.

Posted by: Reignking | June 23, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Wow. My heart just started beating again. It had stopped several times during the match . . . Altidore over the top, Gomez in alone, Dempsey's goal being called back, multiple chances in the 2nd half . . Wow!

"We have not yet begun to fight!" Capt. John Paul Jones

Posted by: delantero | June 23, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I don't want the Germans. They are capable of playing at a level well above us and will threaten with accurate long balls. They have some clinical finishers.

Anyone else will do.

Posted by: delantero | June 23, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Next game Saturday 2:30PM Eastern. I will not be surprised if it is the most watched soccer game in US history.

Posted by: csd1 | June 23, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

BB haters must go away! He made the correct calls today! He made the correct subs-all attacking subs. IF we play this way the next game, we can beat our competion in the first game. I can finally eat lunch!

Posted by: DCUmaniacsX2 | June 23, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I think I saw the Bradleys smile

Posted by: SexyOffender | June 23, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

If everyone draws, Ghana wins the group.

Posted by: BooThisMan | June 23, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Soccer is boring

:-D

Posted by: Kev29 | June 23, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I better get to Fado right now to reserve a spot for Saturday.

Posted by: Reignking | June 23, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

That picture of Donovan's goal is not my background/desktop, whatever - until FIFA makes me pull it.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 23, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I was hoping the post-goal celebration would eat up the remaining injury time minutes.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | June 23, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Finally got through on twitter. Every trend is about the match.

Posted by: Reignking | June 23, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I also want to give some credit to my lucky shirt. Grey t-shirt "US QUALIFIED 2010" -- with the other qualifying efforts since 1990 on the back). Purchased @ RFK in the afterglow of Bornstein's stoppage-time goal for the draw against Costa Rica.

I put this shirt on at half-time against Slovenia and, again, at just before the second half started today.

Posted by: fischy | June 23, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Singing*

This was a Triumph.
I’m making a note here, Huge Success!
It’s hard to overstate my satisfaction.
Down in South Africa.
We did what we must, because we could.
For the good of all of us, except the Slovenians,
But there’s no use crying over every country
We just keep on advancing to the round of 16
By the foot of Donavan
We’re all celebratin'
Because our US Men are still alive!
And believe us we are still alive!
The refs can’t disallow that we are still alive!
Scoring goals and we are still alive!
Still alive….Still alive!

/google "portal still alive" for the tune if you don't know it....

Posted by: r0Be | June 23, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Are there any Landiecakes haters now? I hope not. The MAN has stepped up big in qualifying and at the Cup! Way to go Landon!

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | June 23, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Mandon DonoMan.

Posted by: Reignking | June 23, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Can someone make the first picture desktop wallpaper size? It's too blurry when stretched.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | June 23, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Why am I working???

Posted by: Kev29 | June 23, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I have to give a presentation in 15 minutes, and I'm still jacked up from the game.

I'm not reaching for that Five Hour Energy shot...

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | June 23, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

why doesn't anyone want to play serbia? isn't slovenia just "serbia-light?" we may have already played a similar opponent, in other words. or am i way off about serbia?

Posted by: birdynumnum | June 23, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

_______________________________________

Boo, I can't help thinking that with some halfway decent referee-ing we could have won the group with 9 points, but IT DOES NOT MATTER, WE'RE IN!!!!!!

Posted by: PeterPamZ | June 23, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

"England topped Algeria to advance" ... really?

Posted by: ChoppinBroccoli | June 23, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Whew... unreal.

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | June 23, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

@birdynumnum -- You're way off. If anything, Slovenia is "Serbia-lite". They're a very talented side. Up-and-down the lineup, the whole team is with first-division European sides. The one thing they lack is first-rate goalie, relying on Wigan's back-up
keeper.

Posted by: fischy | June 23, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Tim Howard cannot get enough credit for starting that counter.

And is anyone else having flashbacks to Euro '08, when Turkey scored late goals against Czech, Switzerland and Croatia to make the semi-finals (only to lose in the closing moments to Germany)?

Posted by: benonthehill | June 23, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

GO USA!! Absolute nail biter! Landon Donovan is the heart and soul of that team!

To answer an earlier post: rather play Ghana than Germany.

Posted by: EKruse | June 23, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Props to the U.S. team. Wasting so many chances usually gets you punished.

As for the next match: It's unlikely Germany will be second (only with a tie against Ghana and a tie or Aussie win), so that saves the U.S.

Posted by: cpwdc | June 23, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

NO EXCUSES, the lads got 'er done!

Posted by: StikeDC1 | June 23, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

And that wasn't the first fantastic distribution that Howard had, either.

ben...about Turkey...no. Because I think they had to score a couple against the Czechs to do it.

Posted by: Reignking | June 23, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

@fischy, in my post i did say that slovenia IS "serbia-light" (see above). what i meant was we got a good "warm-up" game with slovenia that could help us against serbia. fischy, what style do the serbs play? are they one of these tall, strong, counter-attacking eastern euro teams?

Posted by: birdynumnum | June 23, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

What a thrill to see that ball hit the back of the net, and after soo many close calls and a terrible call on that disallowed goal. Stretches the limits of believability! Ride that MO boys! You've got as good as chance as anybody left! It's officially beer:30 here in the GOOD OL' USA!!! And to all you Americans cheering it up for our boys in S.Africa: keep up the good work, you are the 12th man....even you guys wearing the Yankee's hats(he begrudgingly says)!

Posted by: rcupps | June 23, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Bradley haters, once again, can disappear.

Posted by: Reignking | June 23, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Today, June 23rd, 2010 is the day when the United States of America has fully understood, in their hearts and deep in their souls what Football (soccer) passion is. We are all in the same page with the rest of the planet now, and I am dam proud of these american boys. Congratulations. This was beautiful. Go Brazil and Go USA.

Posted by: Wiseman5 | June 23, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Wiseman5 | June 23, 2010 1:15 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------

Please do not neglect to pay your respects to my lucky US Soccer t-shirt.

Posted by: fischy | June 23, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

@Reignking,

True, but we needed 2 vs Slovenia. We just got the first one earlier. Turkey also lost in group play. Not a mirror image just yet but USA haven't finished writing the future.

Posted by: benonthehill | June 23, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

benonthehill,

That distribution from Howard was fantastic, particularly given how he got the ball. Algeria really had a chance to score, with two on the back post waiting for the cross. I was quite nervous as the ball made its way down the field!

Posted by: teamn | June 23, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations to the US national team. Well deserved first place in the group after being robbed against Slovenia. Here in Brazil most people are supporting the US since the team has shown great evolution and comittment in the last years.

Posted by: jonas8 | June 23, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

One of the most intense and exciting moments of my life watching a sporting event. I'm soooooo proud of our guys. How bout a t-shirt that says "Donovan-Altidore-Dempsey-Donovan-GOAL!". I don't care who we play, I know we will not give up no matter what. My only regret is my 18 month old son won't remember it... and that he probably thinks his Dad is insane after the way I freaked out after that goal.

Posted by: papasteve_z | June 23, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

5 - This is the most points the US has ever earned in the group stage.

There is a never-say-die attitude with the US team that I wonder if they learned from Brazil's reaction at last year's Confed Cup. Amazing. (Even though it ruined my bracket.)

Posted by: prokaryote | June 23, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

amazing. congrats guys...

just wow. DMB! whoa, we pulled out all the stops today...

...still want to get Holden some minutes...

Posted by: wordup1 | June 23, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

man, that celebration pile was so big i couldnt see if Clinton "broke free" from his S. african female escort and got in on that pile. that would've been sweet....though he brings a few pounds then is desired.

Posted by: alespar415 | June 23, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I have to hand it to Bradley this game. I liked his aggressiveness in pulling a defender to get another attacker on. This lineup worked. The team was ready and able. Kudos to both Bradleys for a great match. I think this is one of the most entertaining WC matches I can remember since I started watching in 78. Brazil-Italy in 82 is my favorite, still.

Posted by: RRP1 | June 23, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

wrong MyPostIDisAfake, donovan is not an american hero. Heroes are for other countries. Landon Donovan is an American Superhero. Did he say hi to "Bianca" at the tail end of an after-game interview? Didnt they recently divorce?

Posted by: alespar415 | June 23, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

JUSTICE... WAS...

SERVED!!

Posted by: knowledge1 | June 23, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Howard - Donovan - Altidore - Dempsey (shot) - Donovan GOOOOAL

(justice)

Posted by: tcbannon | June 23, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Beautiful passing, beautiful teamwork. Persistence and sportsmanship in the game. Afterwards, humility, team spirit, eloquent pride on what it means to be American. U.S. men's soccer is living up to the mantle of Mia Hamm and Brandi Chastain.
Well done, guys! Women's soccer fans are cheering too.

Posted by: MEppinger | June 23, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

yes, tcbannon I agree, that's better.

Posted by: papasteve_z | June 23, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Heroes one and all; from the players to the coaches to the trainers. What a moment to be a soccer fan. What a moment to be an American! Landon for President....

Posted by: lovinliberty | June 23, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

God bless the good old US of A, great match and all hail Landon with just a pretty strike. Probably a harder ball to hit than you might think. Glad he wasn't squished into a paste at the bottom of that dog pile. Oh, how the bars will be full on Saturday. Smell the air, it's just that sweeter today!

Posted by: LaurelreallyScaggsville | June 23, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Is this wrong? I was thinking, there is my wedding day, the days my sons were born, and today.

Posted by: amcalabrese | June 23, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: amcalabrese | June 23, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Thank you USMNT, that you BB and a big thank you to Landon Donovan. Way to go teams and keep it going. The experts are saying Ghana is going to win, you know what that means - time to serve 'em up some serious crow.

SA 2010 - BELIEVE!

USA! USA! USA!

Posted by: Kosh2 | June 23, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Soccer is boring

:-D

Posted by: Kev29
===========

Not half as much as you are.

Posted by: hofbrauhausde | June 23, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Hi everybody, my name is Carlos, and I´m from Brazil. And I do not live in USA.

First, to answer your questions, Korea will face Uruguay, in june 26 (well, in Brazil the game will be at 11:00 am, I don´t know the time it will pass in USA) with is playing so much this cup. And since I´m south american, Ill be hoping for the victory of Uruguay. Also, the winner of Uruguay x Korea will face the winner of USA and Ghana (game that will occur a few hours later), so you guys should worry about it lolololol...

Well, the reason I´m here is to congratulate your team, that won a very well deserved victory, and to say that I love the victory of USA... The players were real warriors in the match, I think all of you should be proud of the team...

As you must know, Brazil is the better country in soccer, and we won 5 time the world´s cup, but the team of USA really made me say: "that was great!"... They had lost the victory against slovenia because of a mistake of the referee, in a game the team fought until the last minute, and reversed the defeat that slovenia was imposing in the beginning, with was also amazing, but the game of total was totally surreal... And I´m very happy that your people is learning to enjoy this great party that is the soccer game, so you can join the rest of the world in this celebration, even so you are not the best, with in my opnion only make this victory even greater...

Congratulation USA! You have been a valiant warrior, and I can give you all this congratulations, from a citizen who lives in the country with the best soccer in the world, that what you got today was bigger than the cup itself... You showed courage and inspiration... I hope the USA team can win even more in this cup (well, except when it came the time to face Brazil, when I hope you guys lose by 3x1 lololol excuse me, but to me Brazil is first, because, of curse, its my country)

Congratulations USA!!!

Posted by: Cacau | June 23, 2010 7:42 PM | Report abuse

I loved the White House's twitter comments today ...

something like

USA! USA! USA!

totally rocked

Posted by: WillSeattle | June 23, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

I have never typed the following characters, in sequence, in my life...

Go USA

-d in canada

Posted by: dmls2000 | June 24, 2010 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Bem amigos, da rede Globo. Falamos ao vivo da residencia do Gaviao Bueno em Monaco.
Ghana could easily have beaten Germany today. They had a flurry of chances in the first half. So, lay aside the beer, let's get serious again, instead of goofing around like we did against Slovenia, and let's play Ghana for 96 minutes like every minute counts, not running around like chickens with our heads cut off, but with focus and discipline.
Vai que e sua Taffarel! O hexa e nosso!

Posted by: EliPeyton | June 24, 2010 12:16 AM | Report abuse

welcome to --------www.olapparel.com ------------------
$30 nike shoes jordan shoes,gucci shoes $33 true religion jeans, ed hardy jeans,cLaguna Beach Jeans
$16 ed hardy T-shirts,Coogi T-shirts$30 coach handbag,gucci handbag$15sunglasses,$9 caps.

Posted by: meirenyi | June 24, 2010 12:22 AM | Report abuse

W—W—W . —O—L—A—P—P--A—R—E—L . C—O—M

Posted by: meirenyi | June 24, 2010 12:24 AM | Report abuse

W—W—W . —O—L—A—P—P--A—R—E—L . C—O—M

Posted by: meirenyi | June 24, 2010 12:25 AM | Report abuse

It pays to trail the play and hang around right outside the box, as Donovan did on the winning goal. Very nice cross by Altidore. Altidore was a monster all day. Dempsey played very well as did Bradley in the middle. Nice defense on Algerian counterattacks; Howard had to stay awake back there. The U.S. kept attacking and creating opportunities for themselves. Kudos to the coach for coming up with a great game plan against a team that sat back and countered. Too bad the first goal was disallowed; bad call there. A very solid game by the Americans; can't wait for the next match.

Posted by: LauraBlack | June 24, 2010 3:39 AM | Report abuse

OK, where's the new blog posts?

I know as soon as I post there will be 6 new blog entries and everything I write will seem like it was posted a week ago.

I'm sure there's something going on. Did Carey Talley get a haircut?

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | June 24, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Two valid goals denied in two games? The U.S. has a 67% rate of nearly losing, or tying, games based on bad officiating vs. 0% problem for the other teams. The bias is overwhelming.

It's exciting, but this really is a third-world sport the way it is run.

I wouldn't get my hopes up too high. It looks like the rest of the world would be perfectly happy to see the U.S. get robbed of any further success in this tournament by the bogus officiating.

...All while having to listen to the din of those ghetto-horns, whatever they're called.

Posted by: BattleOffSamar | June 24, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse