USA World Cup rewind

*My match report from the USA's 1-1 draw with England.

*For better (Tim Howard) or worse (Robert Green), goalkeepers played crucial roles in the outcome.

*The New York Mets take interest in the World Cup.

*Hundreds turn out at Washington's Dupont Circle for outdoor viewing of the match.

*Here's what ITV viewers in England saw just as Steven Gerrard was scoring in the fourth minute:

By Steve Goff  |  June 12, 2010; 9:39 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , England , TV , U.S. men's national team  | Tags: Dupont Circle, New York Mets, South Africa, USA-England, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: LIVE Chat - USA vs. England World Cup
Next: Tim Howard status unclear for 2nd World Cup game

Comments

Wowwwwww, itv! Really?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 12, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone else have the sinking feeling we will never see Torres until we are down in the second half?

Bottom line, love how this lineup frustrated England. Agitated beyond belief by the fact that they had to sweat so hard when we had great options on the bench, and could have seized it.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 12, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

The number of soccer fans out in the city today was incredible. Buffalo Billiards was filled to capacity and had a line out the door. Here is a video I took of the reaction following the USA goal:

Posted by: grabowcp | June 12, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

hi !
Cheap retail watch, sunglasses, belt, hats/caps, High quality T-shirts,
ED hardy t-shirts,ED Hardy hoodies,ED hardy ,Jeans,GUCCI shoes,LV Handbag,Chanel
Handbag……high quality,low price.welcome to

Posted by: rfghhjhk | June 12, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

hi !
Cheap retail watch, sunglasses, belt, hats/caps, High quality T-shirts,
Handbag……high quality,low price.welcome to

Posted by: rfghhjhk | June 12, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

I was there and the crowd definitely numbered in the thousands not hundreds. It was probably in the hundreds for the early games but not the USA game.

Posted by: croftonpost | June 12, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

You sure that wasn't the MASN2 feed?

Posted by: jhorstma | June 12, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Definitely thousands.

Posted by: asfoolasiam | June 12, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

hi !
Cheap retail watch, sunglasses, belt, hats/caps, High quality T-shirts,
Handbag……high quality,low price.welcome to

Posted by: linda38 | June 12, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

hi !
Cheap retail watch, sunglasses, belt, hats/caps, High quality T-shirts,
Handbag……high quality,low price.welcome to

Posted by: linda38 | June 12, 2010 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 12, 2010 10:00 PM
---------------------------

I don't expect to see Torres play, but it's not a sinking feeling.

However, I do suspect that Clark may have played himself out of a starting spot. He was the weakest link. I can't think of anything he did that was positive. Slot in Edu there. Torres is a possibility, but I remain convinced that Edu is a better option.

Hoping for better out of Donovan, too. Last time in South Africa, Donovan was running both ends of the pitch, making plays on offense and defense. He did diddly squat against England -- he was a statue on defense, and his touch mostly deserted him on offense. Substituting Edu for Clark and getting a better performance out of Donovan should turn the USA into a winning side.

Posted by: fischy | June 12, 2010 11:49 PM | Report abuse

not sure if it was said anywhere else today, but did anyone else think Dempsey's goal looked an awful lot like Pontius's 2nd the other night on Keller? i think the way the Jabulani knuckles makes it more difficult for the keepers to physically stop. in both goals, it seemed like the ball wanted to keep spinning/moving after the initial contact. regardless of the ball excuse, Dempsey did a great job to create the space to even take the chance.

Posted by: VTUnited | June 13, 2010 1:18 AM | Report abuse

Agree with Fischy on Clark..but that also shows the strength of the team that they achieved so much - with a weak link. Edu is probably the best bet.
Disagree on Torres, but I think we won't see him till Algeria game.
Agree on Donovan, but against England he did his job, having him tracked kept England players busy and opened up opportunities, I think there was a real fear factor from England with Donovan.
I was a little disappointed (not surprised) that Boca, got burned so badly so often, he will have difficulties again against Algeria, and will need back-up/support against there pace players.
Overall I would give the majority of the team 7 and a few 8....count it as a victory, even though we don't get the three points.

Posted by: londonboy | June 13, 2010 2:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: londonboy | June 13, 2010 2:38 AM | Report abuse

I would agree but probably give Clark a 5 and Oneywu and Howard 9's. I would hate to think where this team would be without Oneywu. Hopefully in 10 years time (after he comes back to DC and plays for United a few seasons!) he will be touring the States teaching our young players how to play top level defense.

Posted by: Southeasterner | June 13, 2010 2:59 AM | Report abuse

I would probably start Edu as well, seeing as Torres is such an amazing sub. However, I think we need Gringo against Slovenia, because they will not give us an inch defensively.

As always, disagree with Fischy's opinion of a player.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 13, 2010 3:22 AM | Report abuse

7s and 8s for a majority of the US team?!

You've got to be kidding. The attack was woeful, and England dominated the second half. I'd give the majority of the team 5s. The main standouts for me were Howard and Cherundolo. Clark was predictably poor, and I'd love to see either Edu or Torres (geez...maybe even Feilhaber, if there were no other options) start the next game. I'd also like to see Findley used as a sub.

For all of Donovan's talk about being ready for 2010 vs. 2006, he practically disappeared. If Slovenia wins today, the pressure is going to be on to get a win in the next game. They'll probably need everyone functioning at peak levels to pull it off.

Posted by: chemweapon | June 13, 2010 6:07 AM | Report abuse

We'll definitely take more out of it than England. I love the reaction in the English press today. oh, and watching the game with some eurosnobs was insufferable. their complaints about MLS are really ticky tacky.

Posted by: nairbsod | June 13, 2010 6:31 AM | Report abuse

"For all of Donovan's talk about being ready for 2010 vs. 2006, he practically disappeared."

Your assessment does not match up at all with much of the analysis I have read from the English, who almost universally praised him as giving a great performance.

Posted by: grabowcp | June 13, 2010 7:34 AM | Report abuse

I love the sound of vuvuzelas in the morning.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 13, 2010 7:42 AM | Report abuse

New York Post USA WINS 1-1.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 13, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Is it just me (I'm hardly an expert - but I started playing a few months ago and been photographing soccer for 4 years) but is the US defense just a little lost in the first 15 minutes or so? An early goal happened yesterday as well as one of the friendlies in the US.

Posted by: dpmurray | June 13, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

hah hah brilliant headline NYP!

Down on 8th St SE Molly Malone's was packed an hour before hand, I went to Ugly Mug which also filled up, and finally to a smaller restaurant where the Turkish wait staff were all watching in the bar.

Posted by: DCB23 | June 13, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

@dpmurray: not, it's not just you. It's our trademark to start with a shaky defense.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 13, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

======

had the same thought, followed by . . .

I would have made those saves.

Hope Solo

Posted by: OWNTF | June 13, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Beckerman > Clark

Posted by: OWNTF | June 13, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

hi !
Cheap retail watch, sunglasses, belt, hats/caps, High quality T-shirts,
Handbag……high quality,low price.welcome to

Posted by: rfghhjhk | June 13, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Have the people who claimed that Onyewu wouldn't be able to play a full 90 and should not start crawled back into their holes yet? Good. He and Cherundolo were our best players yesterday along with Howard.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | June 13, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Howard, Dolo, M. Bradley were the players of the game for me. If not for Timmays! heroics, Dolo was tops.

Bob Bradley waited to long to sub. Torres should have been on the field early on in the second half, Holden at 75-80. Those two players would have relieved a lot of pressure and, possibly, forced a game winner. Instead, we absorbed pressure for what seemed like an eternity with little to no possession.

Posted by: delantero | June 13, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Donovan played fine. He had a class cross served on a platter to Jozy, who flailed on the header. He could have done better with his shots, but I can't fault his game.

I still think people want him to be a true #10, like Maradona. He's just not that guy.

Posted by: delantero | June 13, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

US needs calm settling influence in central midfield and some distribution. Clark doesn't do that at all. Bradley played ok but hit several passes to nowhere. Agree that Torres (possibly even Feilhaber) would serve that role. Bradley doesn't seem to trust/know Torres enough. Feilhaber has poor form. Edu not really that kind of player.

Posted by: wadjfk | June 13, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse