Wednesday kickaround: World Cup, MLS, WPS

After 19 consecutive days of matches, the World Cup pauses for 48 hours to prepare for the quarterfinals. No games today?! Okay, everyone back to work. I'm going to try to step away from the laptop, allow my ear drums to recover from vuvuzela hell, find some Pinotage and perhaps feast at the highly acclaimed Moyo.

QUARTERFINALS
Friday
Brazil vs. Netherlands in Port Elizabeth, 10 a.m.
(ESPN, Univision, ESPN Deportes, ESPN3.com)

Ghana vs. Uruguay at Soccer City/Johannesburg, 2:30 p.m.
(ESPN, Univision, ESPN Deportes, ESPN3.com)

Saturday
Argentina vs. Germany in Cape Town, 10 a.m.
(ABC, Univision, ESPN Deportes)

Spain vs. Paraguay at Ellis Park/Johannesburg, 2:30 p.m.
(ABC, Univision, ESPN Deportes)

My picks: Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina, Spain.

Follow the links to Sally Jenkins' column about American soccer, Liz Clarke's match report from Spain-Portugal and my take on the Paraguay-Japan dud.

Ticket sales for the USA-Brazil friendly Aug. 10 at the new Meadowlands stadium in New Jersey have surpassed 30,000.

For D.C. United, U.S. Open Cup, WPS and USA women's team news.....

*D.C. United, in the market for another midseason acquisition after dumping Salvadoran midfielder Christian Castillo on Tuesday, will host the third-division Richmond Kickers in a U.S. Open Cup round-of-16 match Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. at George Mason University in Fairfax, Va.

Already, two MLS clubs have fallen to opponents two tiers below in the U.S. pro system: The New York Red Bulls lost in extra time to their former keeper Danny Cepero and the Harrisburg City Islanders, who advanced to a quarterfinal against the winner of the DCU-Richmond match next week; and the Chicago Fire went scoreless in penalty kicks in losing to the Charleston Battery.

In matches that went according to plan, the Los Angeles Galaxy defeated AC St. Louis, 2-0; Chivas USA edged the Austin Aztex, 1-0; the Columbus Crew stopped the Rochester Rhinos, 2-1; and the Houston Dynamo ousted Miami FC, 1-0.

Also tonight, the soon-to-be-MLS Portland Timbers will host the reigning Open Cup champion Seattle Sounders.

With a refreshing roster selection process, Women's Professional Soccer will stage its All-Star Game tonight in Kennesaw, Ga. (7:30 p.m. ET, Fox Soccer Channel).

By Steve Goff  |  June 30, 2010; 6:11 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , D.C. United , MLS , U.S. Open Cup , Women  | Tags: D.C. United, MLS, U.S. Open Cup, WPS, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Landon Donovan meets David Letterman
Next: Nigerian soccer team suspended after poor World Cup showing

Comments

Really looking forward to tonight, any other Atloyalists planning on being in attendance tonight?

The USSF is going to be able to pay the next coach with this Brazil friendly. Even the supporter's group tickets are $70. Not gonna stop me from going, but that's steep.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 30, 2010 7:00 AM | Report abuse

Didn't even know about it, Jacob.

No WC game today? Am I supposed to work?

Posted by: Reignking | June 30, 2010 7:17 AM | Report abuse

Hadn't heard Castillo dropped. Not surprised.

Posted by: Ron16 | June 30, 2010 7:41 AM | Report abuse

Reignking... I was thinking the same thing.

What fans are going to be more annoying tonight? The Timber or Sounders? I imagine which ever team loses tonight their fans will be all over second rate soccer blogs tomorrow morning (big soccer/MLS rumors) complaining about poor calls and how their team invented soccer, fans, being cool, etc. (Yes I am a bitter DC United fan)

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 30, 2010 7:47 AM | Report abuse

Are the Timbers Army going to whine about their new merit badge / logo tonight?

Posted by: Reignking | June 30, 2010 7:50 AM | Report abuse

DCU sticking its stadium toe in the western Northern Virginia water tonight with this match at GMU, sampling support in that provincial capital for a permanent home.

Good luck with the traffic, DC and eastern Northern Virginia residents: I'd say leave around 5:30; you'll make it by first kick. I-66 shouldn't be too much of a parking lot. Oh, and there's Metro, isn't there? Orange Line Vienna is only six miles away.

Great choice, KP.

Posted by: lgm6986 | June 30, 2010 7:51 AM | Report abuse

I'm a fan of the Beat on Facebook, and I missed tonight All-star game. I'm not a fan of those, anyway, and I have plans.

Posted by: Reignking | June 30, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Right you are. Boyds' easy access via I-270 and it's own metro stop rules!

Posted by: JkR- | June 30, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

I plan to attend tonight. Then again, I can walk from my house, so the location is just perfect in my eyes. Much better than slogging up 270 to the Soccerplex.

Now if only they'd tumble to the fact that, regardless of the venue, the US Open tickets are overpriced, they might draw more than flies.

Posted by: jburksva | June 30, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

lgm6986: as opposed to playing in Germantown, which also has no metro access, 270 traffic and is further away from their NoVa base. Unless they're playing at RFK, you're going to have one problem or another. Just man up and deal with it. I'm happy to support them playing in NoVa for the first time.

Posted by: nairbsod | June 30, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Anyone watch LD on Letterman last night?

I was busy watching the Gamecocks win the men's baseball championship -- about time!

Hey look, it's lgm6986, complaining! What a rare treat!

Posted by: Reignking | June 30, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Is it just me or do we always end up playing the Harrisburg City Islanders? Maybe this year we can finds a few players from their roster to sign....

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 30, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

@lgm6986

Posted by: no_recess | June 30, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Why not play one of these Open Cup games at MD. It's inside the Beltway at least.

Posted by: croftonpost | June 30, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Abby's first pick was Hope Solo, that's funny.

Philly coach Paul Riley has gotten A-Rod to do what Tony DiCicco could not. And also has put J. Lohman to better use than Gabarra could. And his expansion team is one point behind the league leaders. Dude must be good.

Plus he grabbed Lori Lindsey so he's not stupid.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 30, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

I was at the US Open Cup match at Harrisburg PA, a 1/2 hr drive from Old York (not to be confused with New York). Had a freeking blast!!!

Ticket, $10. Unopened can of Coke, $1. Scarf and a shirt, $12 each. Parking free. Total $35.00.

20 or so pink cow supporters sitting quiet throughout the match, only finding their voices after me and a couple of guys sang "We don't hear you singing over there..." FREEKING PRICELESS!!!

VAMOS UNITED!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 30, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Poor Maryland. They haven't had enough of these matches.

Posted by: Reignking | June 30, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

"I hate to tell you this, but there are buses directly from the Vienna Metro to George Mason University. It is walking distance from the bus stop to the stadium."

And how frequent are those buses? When do they stop running? May not really be so convenient. And I agree the ticket prices are pretty steep for general admission in a stadium with a track around the field...etc.

As for Goff's picks...I am still thoroughly unconvinced by this Brasil team. I think the Dutch will finally eliminate them.

Posted by: fedssocr | June 30, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

@ Reignking watching the Gamecocks win the men's baseball championship

I had no idea that ANYBODY watches college baseball. ;)
************************************

@ grubbsbl I didn't see anybody for Harrisburg that we want United to sign.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 30, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

@lgm6986

"I hate to tell you this, but" . . . GMU has loads of young fans within walking distance. Fairfax is an over populated surburbia. The game should sell out with a good crowd . . . at least as big as any other Open Cup match.

Posted by: delantero | June 30, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Gamecock alumni watch the final few innings of the championship :)

And yeah, I've had the Dutch winning this game for a while.

Posted by: Reignking | June 30, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

I realize Jenkins piece was posted the other day, but I'm still TICKED off about our Ghana loss, I want to scream every time I see "Uruguay v Ghana, Friday on ESPN."

""We've proved our point: We've learned to say "pitch" instead of field, and that's good enough for us.

Why is it that Americans expect to win in every sport we compete in except for soccer?""

Sally, I do expect to win, especially against teams that aren't among the elite; however, futbol fans realize that the game can be very cruel. 11 guys from a tiny nation can beat the best from a nation of 300 million. That doesn't mean we don't want to win. It does mean I'll be fretting about this until the next Cup comes around. And I know dozens of people just like me!

Posted by: delantero | June 30, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

@9Nine9,

Any take on how Jason Hotchkin played? Not suggesting he's a prospect, just curious because I knew some of his family years ago.

Posted by: benonthehill | June 30, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Goff, Is there any chance of getting a seperate thread for the US Open Cup tonight?

I don't expect you to update...we'll even list line-ups etc.
Thanks

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 30, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

French football chiefs face lawmakers over World Cup debacle
The outgoing coach of France's national football team and the president of country's football federation were grilled by lawmakers Wednesday, following the team's ill-fated World Cup campaign.

Posted by: Reignking | June 30, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

@benonthehill
Can't say for sure (not a regular Hburg fan) There were a couple of speedy young forwards but for the most part, they all seemed to be in a lower class. Finishing was...well less than needed at the MLS level. Nobody seemed to be able to put any spin on ball.

Perhaps if these 2 or so speedy guys had the resourses United has they're skills could be polished.

The goal scorer plays like Adu...lack of hustle, poor passing decisions etc. That said, his goal was an sweeeet strike.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 30, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

@delantero- I hope you are right about the DCU match selling out tonight for the sake of the club, but I can tell you that I live not too far away in NOVA and wont be attending because of the ridiculous $25 entry fee. I mean $25 bucks to see DCU reserves vs. the Richmond Kickers? They are insane...

I can tell you that last year I spent 8 euros watching the first round of the DFB Pokal (the German equivalent of the US Open Cup except taken a lot more seriously) in a tiny 6,000 person stadium near Postdam, Germany. It was the then 4th division team SV Babelsberg 03 versus Bundesliga side and former UEFA Champions League finalists Bayer Leverkusen, and the local side could have charged a lot more for what was by far and away the biggest opponent in a meaningful match that was going to be played there. Instead, it was only 8 euros to see Rene Adler and a bunch of other Bundesliga stars up close (and I mean up close).

Great intimate atmosphere and a competitive 1-0 game- by far the best value you will ever get for 8 euros. So the thought of spending $25 for a US Open Cup match against a third tier team is simply out of the question for me and surely many more people that would otherwise be there for less.

I hope someone from DCU marketing/ticket office sees this...

Posted by: rademaar | June 30, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Whatever happened with Freddy's brother -- was he ok after the ES match?

Posted by: Reignking | June 30, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

"perhaps feast at the highly acclaimed Moyo."

Shrimp samosas. Why hasn't anyone here thought of that?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 30, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

I once spent 32 pounds to see a Fulham game.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 30, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

C'mon Timbers, kick some butt tonight!

(I like Portland. Nice town. And I have no reason to hate the Timbers ... yet. Seattle on the other hand? Loooove to see them lose, especially to a bitter rival!)

Posted by: -rke- | June 30, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

I could see paying $25 to watch the USOC Finals, maybe, but not for a match prior to the quarters against a USL2 team.

Posted by: VTUnited | June 30, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Shame DCU/Kickers is so darn expensive. Cheaper ticket can be had for the DCU match up at Red Bull Arena on the 10th...

Will DCU stream the match tonight? I'm guessing Sounders/Timbers will be streaming somewhere? Very curious about the tifo display TA have cooked up for this one. Last Year's sawing down of the Space Needle was outrageous.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 30, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Haven't been to a game in over two weeks (TV doesn't count!). I'm having withdrawls. I'll be there.

Posted by: edmundburke247 | June 30, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I once spent 32 pounds to see a Fulham game.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 30, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I spent 40 pounds on Fulham vs. Arsenal and I would have paid double. The atmosphere was incredible and the Cottage has to be one of the best venues in the premier league.

Posted by: Southeasterner | June 30, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Wow, didn't realize it was $25 bones. Sad.

Posted by: delantero | June 30, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Reignking:

Sorry I come across to yuu as a complainer; I just write what I see or feel and there frankly isn't a whole lot to be positive about in reecent years when it comes to DCU on all levels.

Posted by: lgm6986 | June 30, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

I pick Netherlands, Uruguay, Germany, Spain. Netherlands, Germany after that. Netherlands WC Champions.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | June 30, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

-------------------------------------------------

My understanding is that has nothing to do with it. United would have preferred to continue at the Soccerplex, but that's become prohibitively expensive with the Freedom now in control there. At least, that's how the rumor mill filtered down to me.

@RK -- "Freddy's brother"? I didn't read anything about the ES match, but I'm confused by your question. Fro Adu? Is he trialing with DCU? Or, did you mean Fred's brother, since he has been kinda, sorta trialing with the team for several months now?

Posted by: fischy | June 30, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

He's talking about Fred's brother. The Brazilian.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 30, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

How come there's not more mention of the WPS All Star game being played tonight in Atlanta?!!

Posted by: lsf07 | June 30, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

If this thread is still being monitored, does anyone have the URL for the Washington Post story on the DC United game this past Saturday in Columbus? I don't ever remember seeing it and can't find it. Thanks in advance.

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | June 30, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I couldn't find a match report either, so I had to go to the DCU website. I suppose you could try the Columbus Dispatch too.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 30, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Goff, the octopus picked Germany, how can you bet against him????

regarding open cup venues, I believe Ludwig Field is cost prohibitive and really doesn't offer the amenities that the other sites have (locker rooms less than a bus ride away).

GMU's stadium is not the best, but its a nice change of scenery. I'm excited about it.

Vamos United!

Posted by: SoccerVA | June 30, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | June 30, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 30, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

There wasn't a Washington Post story on the match. However, there was an oh so detailed four paragraph AP story available for your reading pleasure.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | June 30, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Mason and the Soccerplex both take a realistic 90 minutes for me to get to if I intend to go to a 7:30 weeknight game. They're equally inaccessible. I have no real complaints about moving this game closer to more United fans.

I still don't get how Open Cup tickets always cost more than tickets to a league match, or tickets to Open Cup games being held by other teams. I've been to our USOC games in Richmond and in Harrisburg, and the most I ever paid for a ticket was $15.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | June 30, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm surprised that WPS All-Stars Lori Chalupny, Tasha Kai, and Cat Whitehill, among others, have been left off the USWNT roster for the upcoming friendlies with Sweden. I assume Pia Sundhage will be in audience for tonight's game. Hopefully she will take note for the future.

Posted by: Brokenbil | June 30, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

This is killing me. I could really use a live United game therapy session today. Fairfax is significantly closer than the Plex, and I'm priced out of this darn match! Sorry for complaining about being broke, but it's starting to piss me off that I don't see news about a video feed.

Meanwhile my friend in Seattle just facebooked me that although she's wishing she was headed down to Portland this evening, she'll happily be able to watch the match for free on her local Kong television station.

It's really drag how hard United has made it to watch some of their games this year. By far the worst it's been in the last few years. These things are almost more disappointing than the failures on the field. I can accept the guys not playing well, better than the club either being to lazy to roll out a feed or just too money grubbing.

Vamos United anyway. My daughter and I will be rocking the black and red at home and supporting in spirit I suppose. Maybe watching a pirated feed of the Flounders/Cinders dust up.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 30, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

can anyone help me out? which special game season ticket do we use for tonight's game?

Posted by: getanewnumber10 | June 30, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

getanewnumber, this game is not in the season ticket package. Yes, I'm surprised too. I'm also not paying to go (even with the special rate of $22 instead of $25) to sit that far from the field in an early round USOC match.

Posted by: Mongoose714 | June 30, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

"Pia Sundhage sets her USA women's roster for two home friendlies against Sweden."

And gave two Freedom players their first callups to the full national team, Sarah Huffman and Allie Long.

Posted by: kevinwparker | July 1, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse