Wednesday World Cup kickaround

*Speed demon Robbie Findley, a blip on the U.S. radar just a few months ago, finds himself at the forefront of the World Cup effort.

*Colleague Liz Clarke's take on Brazil's victory over North Korea in frigid conditions at Ellis Park.

*Are all those fans wearing the same colors or are those empty seats? Empty seats.

*South Koreans react to North Korea's first match.

*U.S. midfielder Sacha Kljestan, among seven players cut from the World Cup training camp roster, is on his way to Belgium to begin preseason training with Anderlecht after moving from Chivas USA last week. The transfer fee was $750,000, which might not seem like much, but had the process lasted until the end of the season, Chivas/MLS would not have received a penny because Kljestan was in the final year of his contract.

*Today's schedule:
Honduras-Chile, 7:30 a.m. ET
(ESPN, Univision, ESPN Deportes, espn3.com; ESPN Classic at 6)
Prediction: Chile, 2-1.

Spain-Switzerland, 10 a.m.
(ESPN, Univision, ESPN Deportes, espn3.com; ESPN Classic at 8)
Prediction: Spain, 2-0

South Africa-Uruguay, 2:30 p.m.
(ESPN, Univision, ESPN Deportes, espn3.com; ESPN Classic at 10)
Prediction: Uruguay, 1-0.

*Best headline so far:
"Female Fans Pining for Steve"
(Oh, the story was about Bafana's Steven Pienaar?)

*Not today's lunch:
pate.jpg

By Steve Goff  |  June 16, 2010; 6:40 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Americans Abroad , Brazil , FIFA , TV , U.S. men's national team  | Tags: Brazil, North Korea, Robbie Findley, South Africa, World Cup, pate
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Talking World Cup with D.C. United
Next: World Cup: Legofussball gives us bits and pieces

Comments

I mentioned this on a previous thread, but if Sasha ca be cut form camp and go to Anderlecht, then Bornstein is headed to Chelsea.

Safari spam. Mmmmmmmmmm.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 16, 2010 7:07 AM | Report abuse

They all taste like chicken.

Posted by: Reignking | June 16, 2010 7:08 AM | Report abuse

Two Latin Amerinca teams. Should be a dive fest.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 16, 2010 7:34 AM | Report abuse

If Bornstein is headed to Chelsea, where does that put Dempsey and Donovan? I can hear The Special One now - "Sit down, Xabi. Sit down, Kaka!"

Posted by: harkes4ever | June 16, 2010 7:35 AM | Report abuse

one of yesterday's matches just looked desolate with empty seats. Think it was the NZ match, even the vuvuzela volume was low until that final goal in stoppage time.

Posted by: DCB23 | June 16, 2010 7:43 AM | Report abuse

Anderlecht is double stupid, to sign Kljestan and then again to pay for him when they could have got him for free.

Also enjoyable:
"You can't just rely on speed. There are going to be times where you've got to rely on your touch, you've got to be thinking, you've got to read the game."

Findley should really tell Bradley this, and not just Buddle as penance for losing a game of FIFA 2010.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 16, 2010 7:47 AM | Report abuse

Anderlecht paid to get him at the start of their season, rather than in January when the transfer window opens again.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 16, 2010 7:51 AM | Report abuse

Since there will probably be no BECKHAM references in this early game, I am drinking for every bad tackle. I may not make it to halftime.

Posted by: biga116 | June 16, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

That's what she said.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 16, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

JkR killing the INSIDER LOYALISTS fantasy picks.

Posted by: nairbsod | June 16, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe there's a fantasy league that I missed.

Very entertaining first half. Honduras is definitely playing a counterattacking strategy, but Pavon is killing them. They are very impatient, and are taking any shot they can get -- and they are all long-range. Amado Guevara is playing very, very deep.

No diving yet. And the Chile fans are representing well. Mati Fernandez showing well.
Meanwhile, Chile looks as good as I was expecting, even with Suazo out.

Posted by: Reignking | June 16, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

750k is way more than MLS ever made off Kljestan. Good sale and good luck. I hope he turns into a National team player by playing in Belgium.

Posted by: jake77 | June 16, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Iniesta (and Mata, which is a surprise) to play for Spain today.

Posted by: Reignking | June 16, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Now we know what happens to substandard referees.

Posted by: paulkp | June 16, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Make sure you get some fresh ostrich while in SA! Best steak I ever had.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | June 16, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

JkR killing the INSIDER LOYALISTS fantasy picks.

Posted by: nairbsod | June 16, 2010 8:27 AM

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Quoted for truth....

Posted by: JkR- | June 16, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

glad to see the seldom-used 'pate' blog tag getting a run out.

Posted by: stairs | June 16, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

BTW "2nd round" matches start today in the fifa predictor -- you have to click on R.2 to find them.

Posted by: Reignking | June 16, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

If they tie, will we see obdurate Hondurans?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 16, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Good move for Kljestian. Hopefully he can develop his game a tad more and turn into a USMNT player. Dissapointed I actually have had to do work this morning and missed the game. I'll watch it later. Plus I promised my girlfriend I'd wait and watch the Spain game with her after work. Luckily, I have the ability to watch the same game twice.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 16, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

I think I'll have to follow the games online today -- just not enough to do to keep my preoccupied.

Posted by: Reignking | June 16, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Yo Honduras: use of hands, illegal. Use of brains, allowed.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | June 16, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Apparently there were some US Open Cup games last night.

Posted by: Reignking | June 16, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

That was a Welcome shot.

Posted by: Reignking | June 16, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Only Tirico and Lalas in the studio, doubling Lalas' time on the microphone. Did Gullit and Martinez decide that they couldn't take any more of the ginger giant?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 16, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

We get to see Seattle's latest signing...I didn't know he made the team.

Posted by: Reignking | June 16, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

I think Switzerland will play for a tie.

Posted by: Reignking | June 16, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Daily Glenn Davis radio buffoonery update: He said "irregardless" during the Honduras-Chile match.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 16, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the reminder on the predictor Reignking. A hardy Vuvuzela blast for your commitment to fair play.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 16, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

I think Switzerland will play for a tie.

Posted by: Reignking | June 16, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Too bad Spain played for a loss.

Posted by: mcontento | June 16, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse