What's in a name? If it's Jabulani, happiness!

jabulani.jpg

By Liz Clarke
As his parents' first born, he was named for the happiness he represented: Jabulani.

Who knew that Adidas would come along 32 years later and choose the same name for the official ball of the 2010 World Cup?

"I'm getting famous with this name!" Jabulani Makhubele said with a broad smile during a break from his restaurant duties at Johannesburg's Fire & Ice Hotel.

A passionate soccer fan and devoted Bafana Bafana supporter, Makhuele said he was thrilled last December when Adidas unveiled the ball bearing his name that was to be used for South Africa's World Cup. He even has his own Jabulani ball, a gift from a friend.

More.....

And now that the tournament is under way, Makhubele, who is from Limpopo, his country's northernmost province, couldn't be happier -- even if many of the top players have little good to say about the Adidas Jabulani.

"I don't have blood anymore," Makhubele said. "If you cut me with a knife, you will see soccer balls coming out instead of blood!"

By Liz Clarke  |  June 15, 2010; 11:23 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , South Africa  | Tags: 2010 World Cup, Jabulani, soccer ball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA-England: Cold War!
Next: World Cup 2010: results and live streaming

Comments

I wonder how many people are named Fevernova or Questra.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 15, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I KNEW they could do it!

Host broadcasters to 'filter' noise

Posted by: Reignking | June 15, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I think vuvuzelas would liven up the PGA Tour, no?

Posted by: OWNTF | June 15, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I think vuvuzelas would liven up the PGA Tour, no?

Posted by: OWNTF | June 15, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I don't think anything is capable of doing that.

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | June 15, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Vuvuzelas would liven up Wimbledon too.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 15, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how many people are named Fevernova or Questra.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 15, 2010 11:39 AM
=====================

I'm naming my next kid "Size 5"

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | June 15, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

brilliant blog post! now go break down kornhieser's whining and win him over to soccer's "happiness". Good luck with that -- maybe a vuvuzala can liven up his radio show.

Posted by: martin44 | June 15, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Ya know, as my daughter 'Telstar' said to me the other day....

Posted by: JkR- | June 15, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Sheesh, and here I remember playing an Azteka back in the day...but then the Copa Mundial was the epitome of boots...

Posted by: joshuaostevens | June 15, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

We love that Adidas named the ball Jabulani, for Happiness. Soccer brings so much Happiness to people around the world, that it was a brilliant idea.

Thanks, and Be Happy,