World Cup 2010: Argentina 4, South Korea 1

Gonzalo Higuain scored a hat trick to to bring Argentina to the brink of qualifying for the next round. In first-half injury time, Lee Chung-yong capitalized on a defensive gaffe to make the game interesting at 2-1, but Higuain's two second-half goals put the game away.

Argentina leads Group B with six points off two victories.

» Match stats

By Mitch Rubin  |  June 17, 2010; 11:06 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Swiss strategy vs. Spain was made in America
Next: World Cup 2010: Greece 2, Nigeria 1

Comments

I was quietly hoping that the tournament would start heating up when the second batch of games gets underway - and it certainly has!! 11 goals in three matches thus far.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 17, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

^^ I was voaclly hoping the same thing

Posted by: tphasbdp | June 17, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I still say Hiquain was offside on the 3rd goal. They did show a replay with the line for a moment, but I didn't get to check it out, and the announcers completely ignored it.

Posted by: fischy | June 17, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I agree with you fischy although I'd say it's pretty clear that Higuain was offside.

Posted by: mfrahm | June 17, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

do you mean Argentina's 3rd goal or Higuain's 3rd goal? i thought they were both fine.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | June 17, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Argentina's third goal. There is a defender out on Messi who gets pretty deep, trying to block Messi, but I thought Higuain was deeper at the moment Messi takes the shot that hits the post....which is the moment that counts.

Posted by: fischy | June 17, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

hard to tell exactly from the highlights, but Messi was pretty deep. but then i just paused the video with 0:41 left and it looks like you might be right:

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | June 17, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

There was a better replay that's not in the highlight package. Looking at those highlights, I'm can't say for sure he was offside. He is deeper than the last defender (second to last opponent), but I'm not sure he's deeper than Messi.

Posted by: fischy | June 17, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

The Hand of God kept the flag down.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 17, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Martín Demichelis should not see the field...

Posted by: wordup1 | June 17, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse