World Cup 2010: Greece 2, Nigeria 1

Greece won a World Cup match for the first time in its history, coming back from one goal down to beat 10-man Nigeria 2-1 in a World Cup Group B match.

Vassilis Torosidis scored the go-ahead goal in the 71st minute after a mistake from Nigeria goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama. Greece lost all four of its previous World Cup matches and never had scored a goal.

Nigeria's Kalu Uche opened the scoring in the 16th minute, but the game completely changed when Nigeria midfielder Sani Kaita was red carded for kicking Torosidis.

» Full story

» Match stats

Check out Group standings in our interactive World Cup Explorer.

By Mitch Rubin  |  June 17, 2010; 1:00 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: World Cup 2010: Argentina 4, South Korea 1
Next: World Cup 2010: Mexico 2, France 0

Comments

Tough luck for Enyeama. His spill will be remembered more than the silly red card, which I thought had more to do with the result.

Posted by: JkR- | June 17, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

That red card was inSani.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | June 17, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

OT -- DCU will be hosting the 3rd-rd USOC match, out at George Mason stadium. If this is a test to see if Marylanders will go to outer Virginia suburbs, I think I'm going to pass...or should I say: fail.

Posted by: fischy | June 17, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | June 17, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Neither France nor Mexico is as punny as Greece.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 17, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Enyeama was amazing throughout the match. Also lost in all this is Nigeria whiffing on an empty net for the tying goal! The write-up doesn't even mention it.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | June 17, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

RE: Rand-al-Thor's link of doom
"Before this century is over, billions of us will die, and the few breeding pairs of people that survive will be in the Arctic where the climate remains tolerable."

The future of the Earth is in the hands of Bristol Palin and Levi Johnston.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 17, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Way to go Nigeria: snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.What a best way to lose a game than getting a red card for a blatant kick after 30 minutes of play while leading 1-0? Brilliant!

Posted by: charlie015 | June 17, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

No politics! ;)

I think I'll disappear now; I want to watch the Revenge of Maximillian tonight when I get home.

Posted by: Reignking | June 17, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I-270: The world will be full of common sense patriots then. I'd imagine it as a utopia....

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 17, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I wish it were possible for both teams to lose. Maybe they will receive 5 pairs of red cards and both have to forfeit. Franco is off to a good start with his 5th minute yellow.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 17, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

DC is holding the round of 16 USOC game at George Mason?? No love for the 'plex?
Plus they note "George Mason Stadium is a smoke and alcohol free facility."

No beer???

Posted by: rockotodd | June 17, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

What's up with the adidas jerseys with the black X on the back. It looks like the players are wearing sports bras.

Looks like this will be a knockdown drag out rock-n-roll party in the street.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 17, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for violating the no politics rule. I couldn’t help myself.

I still think the Greece player dove and that the contact on the "kick out" was no existent to minimal. I would have red carded the player for intent and then red carded the Greece player. It is the only way to stop shameful diving. And I would preemptively red card C. Ronaldo before every game.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 17, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Sagna was nutmegged on that shot. Serves him right for not stepping up.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 17, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Maybe it was Gallas. I didn't look at the coiffure.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 17, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Is that Mexico playing 'Hoof & Hope'?

Lot's of long balls out of the back...

Posted by: JkR- | June 17, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I've been trying to catch up on the traffic on this blog over the past 24 hours or so. I've found a thread called "Youth Day" that was started by Clarke at 1:30 p.m., followed by a thread called "World Cup roundup" that was started by "washingtonpost.com Sports Editor" at 5:57 p.m. But wasn't there a thread between these two, which was active while the Brasil-NK match was in progress?

Posted by: universityandpark | June 17, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

There are no specific match threads. We've been using the most recent thread at kickoff.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 17, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

I-270: That is totally beside the point. My point is simply that when you go to the SI home page (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/), you should see the last 8-10 threads, in consecutive order and with none missing.

Posted by: universityandpark | June 17, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Toulalan's foul just before half is an argument for a "pink" card.

A pink card is a warning that if the offender commits even one more foul, he's ejected.

Toulalan wasn't the last defender, so a straight red wasn't appropriate, but the cynical nature of his "professional foul" makes the beautiful game a bit uglier.

OK, maybe not pink. Maybe fuscia.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | June 17, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Last night's Jeopardy! had a clue involving the word "irregardless". However, I somehow doubt that the discussion of that naughty word on this blog inspired the writers for that program out on the left coast.

Posted by: universityandpark | June 17, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

U&P: Why are you looking among the Wednesday threads for Tuesday's Brazil-DPRK match?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 17, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

The match is getting chippy and the ref is getting cardy. We'll see at least one red before this is over.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 17, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

France has the ability to simply run past Mex, but lack the will or the recognition to do it.

And to take off Anelka when you need a goal, and NOT put in Henry is an invitation for your side to go all pear shaped.

Posted by: JkR- | June 17, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 17, 2010 3:33 PM
__________________________________________

Thanks! That explains things. When I'm on vacation, I routinely lose any sense of the days of the week. I guess that means that my brain is on vacation, even though I haven't gone anywhere.

Posted by: universityandpark | June 17, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm surprised all of those Budweiser bottles in the stands didn't cause him to miss.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | June 17, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Laurent Blanc, please pick up the white courtesy phone.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 17, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Laurent Blanc, please pick up the red emergency hotline.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 17, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | June 17, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I hate when Mexico wins. I doubly hate when Blanco scores

Posted by: rockotodd | June 17, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Good for CONCACAF's reputation, though.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | June 17, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

In other news, AC Milan plans a return trip to these shores. Who knows, maybe this event at the Silverdome will actually come off as planned:

Posted by: universityandpark | June 17, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

What are people's plans for tomorrow morning? In recent days, I've been to:

-- Grevey's in the Merrifield area
-- Ireland's Four Provinces in the center of Falls Church
-- Anthony's, a Greek/Italian place, also in the center of Falls Church
-- The American Cafe at Landmark Mall in Alexandria
-- Thirsty Bernie in Arlington.

I know that Ireland's Four P's and Thirsty Bernie will be open early tomorrow, but I'm not sure about the others.

Posted by: universityandpark | June 17, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm staying home... ummmm... telecommuting.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 17, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

France bleaus

Posted by: OWNTF | June 17, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I270: Sports bras are usually worn UNDER the jerseys. I've been calling it the Kiss of the Spider Woman look. And some of them don't have it. Well, whatever it was it didn't help them much.

Posted by: ldmay | June 17, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

ESPN Headline: "Irish Eyes Are Smiling."

Posted by: RedDevil1 | June 17, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Neither France nor Mexico is as punny as Greece.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 17, 2010 2:03 PM

I'm still reading, in queso you think of some.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 17, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Well, to be frank, it took a lot of gall for Mexico to win. (for I270)

Posted by: ldmay | June 17, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Trop d'oeufs dans le pudding.

(lit. "too many eggs in the pudding.")

Greece was slick, though.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | June 17, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure DCU is playing at GMU, because they might be playing Real Maryland FC in their next USOC game, who plays at the Soccerplex. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Posted by: mercurysnake77 | June 17, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse