World Cup: France goes out meekly

Not only was France put out of its misery by South Africa in the final game of Group A play, but its own supporters booed the team at a public watch party near the Eiffel Tower.

By Matt Bonesteel  |  June 22, 2010; 1:02 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , France
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mexico, Uruguay advance to World Cup round of 16 from Group A
Next: Argentina vs. Greece, Nigeria vs. South Korea to decide World Cup Group B

Comments

France is ouack

Posted by: OWNTF | June 22, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Sacrificed Blues!

Posted by: Reignking | June 22, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

This story can only get better.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 22, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

To the Bastille!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 22, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Allez les Boos!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 22, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather have your sister...

Posted by: jhorstma | June 22, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Cheaters never prosper.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 22, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

French kiss cup hopes goodbye.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 22, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

French? Toast.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 22, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

French? Fried.

Posted by: hofbrauhausde | June 22, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Frankly, Scarlet, I Don't Give a Domenech

Posted by: IamAM | June 22, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

I have been Paris many times and never saw a big population of blacks. So where they get all these African French players from? How many of them really respect the color they wear?

Posted by: timjuh | June 22, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Seriously?

Posted by: Reignking | June 22, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Actually, if there is a racial issue among all of the other issues they have, I don't think it is the inclusion of black Frenchmen so much as it is the exclusion of Arab players like Nasri. I also think (don't know for sure) that the majority of the Algerian team were born and raised in France.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 22, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Anyway, that was dumb, I hate when people throw race into situations, I don't know why I added to the problem. Sorry.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 22, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Where did you go in Paris, timjuh? If you stay in the central, tourist areas, you're not likely to see immigrant neighborhoods.

I don't think it's a question of the African players respecting the jersey less than the Caucasians or Arabs. It's general petulance of the players and poor leadership in the FFF.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 22, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

What does a frog say? Choke, choke, choke.

Posted by: mortified469 | June 22, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

The French got what they deserved! France shouldn't have qualified for the World cup in the first place, having knocked Ireland out on a controversial hand ball call.

Posted by: hoagie60 | June 22, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

France was unjust.Ireland should go to South Africa.At least,French soccer player T.Henry,who scored goal to Ireland by hand,should be punished and disqualified from World Cup.Where is Fair Play ??
France unjustly participated World Cup and what happened,finished at bottom and went out.Whereas,Group was very easy,France should be First.
Justice is done.