World Cup Group F: Italy vs. Slovakia and Paraguay vs. New Zealand

Group F's representatives will be decided this morning with Italy vs. Slovakia and Paraguay vs. New Zealand. Defending champion Italy needs a win or a tie and some help to advance.

Italy-Slovakia live stats are here, and in-game game commentary is here. Paraguay-New Zealand live stats are here, and in-game commentary is here.

The games are streaming online here.

Post colleague Jon DeNunzio, who has an affinity for the Azzurri, has started up a World Cup blog. Check it out here.

By Matt Bonesteel  |  June 24, 2010; 9:43 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Landon Donovan scores for U.S. soccer, chaos ensues
Next: World Cup on The Colbert Report

Comments

Hope New Zealand pulls off the upset and makes the next round. I more so hope Italy goes out. Can't stand them.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 24, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

More soccer content in the Post. It's a short article about Abby's training.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 24, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

GOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLL SLovakia!

Posted by: Reignking | June 24, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Horrible news: The internet gods at my work have removed my adobe flash player. I can no longer watch matches on univision. ESPN3 is blocked; as is ATDHE.net. Oh well, I got to watch the USA game.

It took them a while to figure it out. I guess watching 80 percent of the opening round on my computer would catch up to me. Oh and yes, my office partners computer still has Adobe Flash. She refuses to let me watch on her computer –she is a baseball fan. My boss hasn't said anything to me about it and I ran into her twice this morning. So I guess I am not in trouble.

I guess I will have to live with telegraph's snarky commentary.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 24, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

C'mon Anglosphere . .

Posted by: OWNTF | June 24, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I really, really, really don't care for the Italian national calcio team. And that's about as diplomatic as I can be on the matter.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 24, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

I'm not a fan of Italy either but what are they playing at? Their is no hustle or any kind of desperation from them. It's almost as if they don't care if they go out or not.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | June 24, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Wow...

Slovakia 2-0 Italy

Posted by: RedDevil1 | June 24, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

and harkes says everything goes pear shaped for italy!

Posted by: joe_hill | June 24, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Dobre! (Good in Slovak). Four years of working next to a Slovak and I can say that and a dirty word.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 24, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Harkes: "This is where it all starts to go pear-shaped."

Drink!

Italy looks like they could really use that American kid.

Posted by: benonthehill | June 24, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Harkes: Italy's tournament is "going pear-shaped."

Posted by: hungrypug | June 24, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Bye Bye Itlee

Come on New Zealand!!

Posted by: rockotodd | June 24, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Third goal for Slovakia - without Italy and France, who will do the head-butts? Who will run the soap opera? Who will elbow McBride in the face?

I am savoring the moment.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | June 24, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I love this tournament! We might just win it after all! Project 2010, baby!

Posted by: fedssocr | June 24, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Soccer is boring

Posted by: Kev29 | June 24, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Eat that DeNunzio!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 24, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

oh man this Cup just keeps gettin better and better. Cannot wait for Sat afternoon.

Posted by: DCB23 | June 24, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

@grubbsbl -- that's why you bring your laptop to work as a backup...

Posted by: edgeonyou | June 24, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

If I were in SA I'd go to a ticket office and repeatedly ask for a ticket to the next Italy and France matches just to keep hearing that they are out.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | June 24, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Italianos mambo home.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 24, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

can anyone take a reasonable guess on who will be in the final now?

Posted by: rademaar | June 24, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

can anyone take a reasonable guess on who will be in the final now?

Posted by: rademaar | June 24, 2010 12:20 PM

Uruguay and Paraguay

Posted by: Kev29 | June 24, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

By the way (kind of yesterday's news but...), I love the fact that either Ghana, US, South Korea or Uruguay will be in the semi's. Good stuff.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 24, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

The last 30 minutes of the Slovakia-Italy game were really great. If you recorded it make sure you watch it!

As a US fan, any US game trumps everything else. But as a neutral fan that might have been the best drama of this World Cup.

So far!

Unfortunately the Italians played the 1st half like they had just come from an all you can eat lasagna buffet.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | June 24, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

cue up the rotten tomatoes at Rome airport :)

Posted by: targetmedia | June 24, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

can anyone take a reasonable guess on who will be in the final now?

Posted by: rademaar | June 24, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

================

US v. Spain

Posted by: OWNTF | June 24, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Harkes: "This is where it all starts to go pear-shaped."

Drink!

Posted by: benonthehill | June 24, 2010 11:37 AM |

I was watching Mythbusters last night, and the narrator definately dropped "its gone pear-shaped", so I guess its catching on.

Posted by: VTUnited | June 24, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

now if we can just come up with a scenario to eliminate Portugal....

For now I will stick with my Spain-Netherlands final prediction. Hopefully Spain will make it past the group stage.

It's hard to pick against Argentina at the moment though I think.

Posted by: fedssocr | June 24, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

What a game. Now that's amore!

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | June 24, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse